•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Likely broken ETX125 back up for auction

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:05 PM

A little while ago Seattle Goodwill auctioned off one. I could see from the photos that the focuser had been replaced by a electric focuser. And the cable for the electric focuser was ripped off so the focuser could only be controlled by autostar. Meaning if the electronics of the mount broke, there would be no way to focus the scope. Assuming there was a reason someone donated it to Goodwill rather than selling it, I didn’t bid. Now I see it is back up for auction so whoever won the bid ended up walking away when they came to pick it up. So if you are around Seattle think twice about bidding on this one. Generally speaking there is a reason people donate stuff rather than selling it. I don’t understand why so much stuff on the Goodwill site sells for as much as one would pay on CloudyNights, buying from an experienced stargazer with good ratings who can verify stuff works and advise you of any issues.

Scott
  • John O'Hara, terraclarke, gfstallin and 1 other like this

#2 Boom

Boom

Mariner 2

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:58 PM

I just came across the auction by accident. The focuser cable is not "ripped off". It is just unplugged. The original focuser hand paddle is not included, so like you said you'd have to use the Autostar to focus the scope. There is nothing broken about the focuser as it appears.

#3 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:34 PM

Good clarification. Still if the mount electronics are dead, you cannot focus it. Given someone donated it rather than sell it, I would be suspicious. Given whoever won the bid walked away from it and it is back up for auction again, I would be doubly suspicious.

Scott

#4 Justlooking456

Justlooking456

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:19 AM

It might keep some tinkerer occupied on a rainy evening instead of watching TV.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:13 AM

Good clarification. Still if the mount electronics are dead, you cannot focus it. Given someone donated it rather than sell it, I would be suspicious. Given whoever won the bid walked away from it and it is back up for auction again, I would be doubly suspicious.

Scott

Not really. You'd remove the electric focuser to expose the focus shaft and attach a knob of your choice.

• terraclarke likes this

#6 fcathell

fcathell

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:53 PM

OR - the focuser motor is a dc motor, so a variable power supply (or battery) with a reversing switch should make it work fine with a little experimenting. 

FC 

#7 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:24 PM

Sounds like it is salvageable at least. Just may require some extra effort.

Scott

#8 Boom

Boom

Mariner 2

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:10 PM

It's a great deal for whoever bought it.

#9 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:14 AM

OR - the focuser motor is a dc motor, so a variable power supply (or battery) with a reversing switch should make it work fine with a little experimenting. 

FC 

Perhaps, but it is easy enough to remove. 

#10 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:56 PM

It's a great deal for whoever bought it.

Depends on what the winning bid was. And if the GoTo mount worked, which I doubt. I didn’t follow it at the end to see. At $150 sure, it’s a good deal if you can get the focuser to work without much trouble. But it would have been bid up more at the end.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics