•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any true value in flocking an 8" SCT?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:30 AM

Just look and see. That's all. Flock or don't flock depending on your needs. Try not to vignette if you prefer. Try it, test it, and keep or remove it. No worries. 

Greg's C8 looks pretty good, those ridges can be effective. You can tell because the light is shining back at you...holding the source. It works the other way, too. 

#27 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:27 AM

More recent C8 have better reflexion control than what’s seen on Greg’s picture.

I could gain a little bit by painting it with my Black 2.0 but it wouldn’t be a night and day improvement. It would probably improve lunar observations but I rarely observe the moon.

#28 WadeH237

WadeH237

Skylab

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:50 PM

The co is already bigger than the secondary.  I think he was pulling your leg. 

You misunderstood what I wrote.

Of course, the secondary is bigger than the CO.  What he was suggesting is that the contrast could be improved by increasing the size of the CO by just a little bit more.  If you think about it, that will make it harder for stray light to get into the baffle tube.

This person knew his stuff very well.  He was imaging with a C14 at F/11 more than 20 years ago - before the advances that we have today in both sensor and mount capabilities.

#29 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:08 PM

You misunderstood what I wrote.

Of course, the secondary is bigger than the CO.  What he was suggesting is that the contrast could be improved by increasing the size of the CO by just a little bit more.  If you think about it, that will make it harder for stray light to get into the baffle tube.

This person knew his stuff very well.  He was imaging with a C14 at F/11 more than 20 years ago - before the advances that we have today in both sensor and mount capabilities.

No misunderstanding, the suggestion is baffling.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics