•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ES82 18mm bad for solar white light

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:10 AM

When I observe sunspots with the C8 and Baader astrosolar filter, I usually magnify at least to a 14mm eyepiece. Yesterday the seeing was bad so I plugged the ES82 18mm. Yuck! If you don’t know what " ring of fire" means, that’s how you can see it without any doubt!

There was this orange glow wasting at least the outermost 10% of the field. Moving my eye around slightly changed the color but it was always there, mostly on the side showing the solar disk. Looking at the edge of the Sun, the part outside the solar disk was much better.

That eyepiece is super sharp in the center of the field but that’s pretty much it’s only quality. Short eye relief, small eyelense, ring of fire effect.

When I receive my new ES92 17mm, that 18mm won’t have it’s place in the eyepiece case anymore.

Have you seen this defect while using the 18mm in daylight?
  • Procyon and Maurolico like this

#2 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:42 PM

I just tried it out looking at distant views about five miles away during daylight. I noticed the orange glow you mentioned in the 18, 24 and 30 mm ES 82 series eyepieces. Maybe a little worse in the 18, but present in all three. However, in all cases, the glow disappeared when I moved my eye closer to the eyepiece.

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 18 April 2019 - 01:42 PM.

• CeleNoptic likes this

#3 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:59 PM

These are such terrible things to read about it makes me wish to pack up and flee

• CeleNoptic likes this

#4 Maurolico

Maurolico

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:39 PM

Yes! And the uniform color did change in a rainbow pattern on the full Moon. I did unscrew the barrel to see whether something were wrong somewhere, just to find how the big central lens was freely unsealed, hence Argon depleted. I consider this EP the worst of my set and the short eye relief issue is the lesser of all concerns.

#5 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• Loc: Cloudy East Coast

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:58 PM

Not something new, and not only the 18mm ES82 you hate, check out e.g. this thread. BeatingADeadHorse.gif popcorn.gif

#6 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:08 PM

These are such terrible things to read about it makes me wish to pack up and flee

Don’t be afraid, it’s not contagious. I think.

But maybe I should play safe and remove it from my eyepiece case, least it infects my 24 and 30mm!

#7 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• Loc: Cloudy East Coast

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:16 PM

Yes! And the uniform color did change in a rainbow pattern on the full Moon. I did unscrew the barrel to see whether something were wrong somewhere, just to find how the big central lens was freely unsealed, hence Argon depleted.  I consider this EP  the worst of my set and the short eye relief issue is the lesser of all concerns.

Sorry to hear you got a lemon. My sample is excellent. And I don't use it on the Moon or in the daylight so no issue for me. BTW, I don't see any reason to observe the full Moon when contrast is at minimum. But your mileage may vary.

#8 Maurolico

Maurolico

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:46 PM

The curious thing is that I don't know whether I got a lemon (we says the same of "pack") because I had excellent DSOs' views; but it is, say, not a "constant" performer like the others I have whatever the seeing is. I don't use it to look at the Moon regularly; sure not anymore after that issue.

#9 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:07 PM

Yes! And the uniform color did change in a rainbow pattern on the full Moon. I did unscrew the barrel to see whether something were wrong somewhere, just to find how the big central lens was freely unsealed, hence Argon depleted. I consider this EP the worst of my set and the short eye relief issue is the lesser of all concerns.

And this fulfilled the prophesy in the Orion papers: that among its competitors in China, Explore Scientific was known as a low end producer.  

#10 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:01 PM

Sorry to hear you got a lemon. My sample is excellent. And I don't use it on the Moon or in the daylight so no issue for me. BTW, I don't see any reason to observe the full Moon when contrast is at minimum. But your mileage may vary.

After *months* of horrible weather, one observes whatever’s out there when there’s finally no clouds!

Variation of tones going from blue-gray to white to darker grays is what one observes when the Moon is close to full. Sometimes there may be occultations of some star. Granted it’s not the best phase to "explore" the lunar landscape but I still want my eyepieces to be able to handle that.

#11 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:21 AM

I was able to try my ES 18mm 82 degree again, this time on the nearly full moon. The orange glow around the edges wasn't really visible unless I pulled my eye back a little from the eyepiece and really looked for it. I think it would be more of an issue if I wore glasses while viewing and/or did a lot of terrestrial viewing, but I didn't have any issues at night with the moon.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics