•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ghostly reflections in the Moon !

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:19 AM

Hello,

Have any of you been able to observe by some binocular that they do not present ghostly reflections in the images of the moon?
I, personally not, with any of the binoculars I have or have had, which have been enough ...,
and some of them had optical quality
Is there a binocular that is perfect or almost perfect in this subject?
Thank you

Paul

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:41 AM

Paul:

There are.   Last night I was looking at the moon with a few binos.  I noticed that my 15x70 Orion Resolux's had no ghosts.

Jon

• paulsky and duck2k like this

#3 Crusty99

Crusty99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:53 AM

Here is an interesting image from the website: Optics Picture of the Day (OPOD). 

Moon & Venus Pillars, Japan

If this kind of thing is of interest, you can scan the OPOD website's gallery for other atmospheric optical effects.

Among binocular users, I have heard of the "flaring" or "spiking" effect, when observing some bright stars and planets. 

Flare, Spikes, and Halos (CN thread from the past).

Hope this helps.

Edited by Crusty99, 18 April 2019 - 08:23 AM.

• paulsky likes this

#4 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:13 AM

None of my three pairs of astronomy binos create ghosts.

• paulsky likes this

#5 tmichaelbanks

tmichaelbanks

Vostok 1

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

Interesting question!  I was out last night viewing the moon with my Oberwerk 15x70 Ultra (very similar to Orion Resolux) and Nikon HG 10x42.

Just for fun I did a slow pan toward the moon to check for glare, moving from left to right.  With the 15x70 I most definitely saw a dim "ghost" image of the moon a few degrees before viewing the moon directly.  Not much glare otherwise though.  I'm pretty sure the ghost image was outside of the exit pupil but you definitely notice it as your panning.

The HG did not show any ghosting, but there was significant glare just as you are about to reach the moon.  This glare vanished instantly once the moon was viewed directly.

• paulsky and Crusty99 like this

#6 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

Hi Paul,

There are many binoculars that do not have that ghosting issue. Even good quality vintages are free of this problem. Ghosting is one of the criteria that i use to keep a binocular or not.

Carlos

• paulsky and Pinac like this

#7 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:53 PM

It must have been a matter of bad luck then, mine.
Since really some ghosting or glare problem I have always had, a lunar image, to give a good example., Clean without glare and strange lights, I have never seen it, at least in binoculars ..

Thank you
Paul

#8 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:37 PM

While looking directly at the Moon may not show any ghosting or veiling glare, looking a couple of degrees or so away from the Moon may show some off-axis light intrusion at least.  The Moon is a tough test as the intensity is so high that there's usually some internal surface in a bino that can cast some off-axis light back into the user's eyes.  I can only think of a few instances where this glare was really bothersome; the most obvious instance was when observing an occultation of the Moon and the Pleiades a number of years ago.

When comparing Lunt MS/ APM MS ED/ Fuji FMTs in 2017, I found all three binos showed some veiling glare in the vicinity of the Moon:

Ghosting several degrees outside of the Moon was minimal in the APM/Lunts.  At a point, a wash of veiling glare would come into the FOV but there were no reflections of the Moon itself entering into the view.  The FMTs also showed similar veiling glare but there were several points where a reversed and slightly out of focus image of the Moon would pop up.  This reflection could be attributed to the fact that the first prism face in the FMTs doesn't appear to be coated, unlike the APM/Lunts which clearly are.

Rich

• paulsky and Grimnir like this

#9 Ant1

Ant1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:34 PM

Hi

Many binoculars don't have this ghosting issue.
Modern coatings have provided a lot of improvement in getting rid of the ghosts. On my modern binoculars, absence of ghost image correlates to coating transmission.
On older bins with primitive or even no coatings, getting rid of ghosts was a much more difficult job and was not as easily achieved. If you get a vintage pair with little or no ghosting you can be sure it's a result of a very careful design.

On the other hand, some of the finest binoculars I own have ghosting but are otherwise wonderful instruments.

Regards
Ant1
  • paulsky, Corcaroli78 and Astroman007 like this

#10 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM

On older bins with primitive or even no coatings, getting rid of ghosts was a much more difficult job and was not as easily achieved. If you get a vintage pair with little or no ghosting you can be sure it's a result of a very careful design.

On the other hand, some of the finest binoculars I own have ghosting but are otherwise wonderful instruments.

Regards
Ant1

+1

Fully agree. I own a vintage roof 8x56, long body and VERY truncated pupils, single coated from the brand PORST, japanese made for the german market. the bino is probably from the 70´s and provide some slight haze in the views. Why i kept it? because its ghosting and glare control is excellent, even better than the Carl Zeiss Jena. when i point to the moon the image is sharp and clean, moving around the moon its hard to see any kind of veiling or glare.  While this is normal in a quality modern bino, i did not expect that from a -I assume- regular quality bino 40 years old. 

Carlos.

P.S. after 8 years, just found the J number of this binocular: J-102.  Any idea of the manufacturer?

thanks! 

Edited by Carlos Flores, 18 April 2019 - 04:35 PM.

• paulsky likes this

#11 DeanD

DeanD

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:11 PM

+1

Fully agree. I own a vintage roof 8x56, long body and VERY truncated pupils, single coated from the brand PORST, japanese made for the german market. the bino is probably from the 70´s and provide some slight haze in the views. Why i kept it? because its ghosting and glare control is excellent, even better than the Carl Zeiss Jena. when i point to the moon the image is sharp and clean, moving around the moon its hard to see any kind of veiling or glare.  While this is normal in a quality modern bino, i did not expect that from a -I assume- regular quality bino 40 years old. 

Carlos.

P.S. after 8 years, just found the J number of this binocular: J-102.  Any idea of the manufacturer?

thanks! 

Hi Carlos,

I am not sure about J-102, but JB 102 is Hoya Kogaku Co. Ltd.

See: http://home.europa.c...cope/jbcode.txt

All the best,

Dean

• Corcaroli78 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics