•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT 102 ED and binoviewers?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 erin

erin

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: MA

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:51 AM

Hey all,

For those of you who own this scope, have you tried binoviewers with it? I’m thinking of getting one of these to par down my small collection. My 102 GT works great with my Orion BVers but I wonder if a shorter focal length will make focusing more difficult? I have tried them out on my shorter refractors and I have to play around with diagonal and ocs placement.

Just curious about anyone’s experiences. Thanks!

Erin

#2 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:23 PM

Hey all,

For those of you who own this scope, have you tried binoviewers with it? I’m thinking of getting one of these to par down my small collection. My 102 GT works great with my Orion BVers but I wonder if a shorter focal length will make focusing more difficult? I have tried them out on my shorter refractors and I have to play around with diagonal and ocs placement.

Just curious about anyone’s experiences. Thanks!

Erin

If I recall, I was using a 1.25" prism with a 1.5x barlow screwed into the nosepiece, they came to focus with about 7mm of infocus to spare.  I don't remember the magnification, but the full moon fit with plenty of room to spare, maybe 1.5 degrees.  Without the nosepiece/ barlow, they did come to a focus, but the focuser was almost fully extended, which made me want to rebalance.  With a 2" mirror, you'd be in good shape without Barlow for low power.  Overall, I'd call it binoviewer friendly.  The focuser on the one I had exhibited a bit of rotational play between the rack and the guide.  It was just enough that I would get a tad of image shift when transitioning from in to out focus.  It was minor but kind of reminded me of focusing a SCT.  

btw, I like that capital E.

Edited by Cpk133, 19 April 2019 - 07:16 AM.

• erin likes this

#3 erin

erin

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: MA

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:42 AM

Hi Cpk,

Thanks for sharing your experience-that’s good news! I want to be sure before selling off the achros to get it...whenever it is in stock again.

btw, I like that capital E.

Yeah, yeah....rolleyes.gif

wink.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics