•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How do I pause guiding in the middle of PPEC?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 betelgeuse91

betelgeuse91

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:18 AM

So I found that PPEC will begin again from scratch with a new target.

I want to pause guiding for checking the focusing while using PPEC, and resume when I am done. 

Will stop guiding and resuming reset the PPEC? How should I do this properly..? 

Thanks a lot!

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:53 AM

You don't say which mount you have, but in general the mount doesn't know guiding is taking place (think about it--if the guider is paused or the guider is issuing no corrections because tracking is perfect, how can the mount know the difference?).

What I think you are describing is that PPEC restarts after a slew. This does not affect whether you choose to guide or not. PPEC makes guiding generally easier and allows for longer exposures, but doesn't require, assume, or validate guiding.

Bottom line--stop guiding and restart when you want to. No worries.

#3 StephenW

StephenW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:21 PM

>So I found that PPEC will begin again from scratch with a new target.

Do you mean the PPEC algorithm in PHD2 or PEC in your mount?

#4 betelgeuse91

betelgeuse91

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:05 PM

You don't say which mount you have, but in general the mount doesn't know guiding is taking place (think about it--if the guider is paused or the guider is issuing no corrections because tracking is perfect, how can the mount know the difference?).

What I think you are describing is that PPEC restarts after a slew. This does not affect whether you choose to guide or not. PPEC makes guiding generally easier and allows for longer exposures, but doesn't require, assume, or validate guiding.

Bottom line--stop guiding and restart when you want to. No worries.

>So I found that PPEC will begin again from scratch with a new target.

Do you mean the PPEC algorithm in PHD2 or PEC in your mount?

My apologies. I did not make it clear there. I meant the PPEC algorithm for PHD2 for RA correction. 

#5 StephenW

StephenW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:05 PM

My apologies. I did not make it clear there. I meant the PPEC algorithm for PHD2 for RA correction. 

As far as I know it is not affected by "pausing" guiding (e.g. when doing a dither), but it does need to be restarted if you "stop" guiding (e.g. when slewing to a new target)

You should probably post on the PHD2 forum to get a complete answer, and maybe request enabling a re-start feature... 

I've often considered whether PHD2 could read and save the worm phase position (it's available via the ASCOM interface for many mounts) and could then re-apply it's PPEC across multiple nights.    For me though PPEC generally takes two worm cycles (~8 minutes of guiding) before "kicking in", so it's only a mild annoyance.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics