•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A nebulous meteor seen?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nyairman

nyairman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: upstate new york

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:32 AM

On April 4th of this year, I was out around 10:52 pm star gazing and this object sped by above me. It left no trail, was diffuse, and seemed to change shape. The speed of the object was just like a meteor. I had no idea what I just saw so I went in the house and quickly wrote down in detail what I had just witnessed.

The next morning I had forgot about the 1-2 second visual until I read what I had wrote down on the paper. Low and behold, there is an article in my May issue of Astronomy magazine  titled "What's that odd meteor" and confirmed to me what I had witnessed the night before.

What an amazing site that meteor was! The only other description I can think of is that it seemed very large in size. Perhaps 1/8th the size of a full moon. It did seem to rotate as well. Amazing what you can recall from only 1 or 2 seconds of a visual.

Just thought I would share this and, ask if others here have witnessed such an object or was lucky enough to image one?

• EricTheCat, Tyson M, Astroman007 and 1 other like this

#2 Crusty99

Crusty99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience with the nebulous meteor of April 4, 2019--and especially the confirmation you read in the May issue of Astronomy magazine. 

waytogo.gif

• nyairman likes this

#3 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:38 PM

Strange indeed, and a lucky sighting.

• nyairman likes this

#4 starcanoe

starcanoe

Vanguard

• Loc: Gulf Coast, Panhandle of Florida

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:50 PM

In the mid 80's I saw a meteor that looked way more like a diffuse comet without a tail than a meteor. Not particularly bright and pretty darn slow moving for a meteor but IMO it almost could have not been anything else.

Always wondered about that. Glad to see (heh) that somebody has seen something along those lines.

• nyairman likes this

#5 Napp

Napp

Apollo

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:25 PM

Be sure to report fireballs to the American Meteor Society https://www.amsmeteors.org

You can also check reports submitted by others.

• nyairman likes this

#6 brentwood

brentwood

Soyuz

• Loc: SW BC Canada

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:05 PM

Your heading of 'Nebulous Meteor' really caught my eye, as in 1960, my first UFO sighting, I've seen two, reminded me of a 'Nebulous Meteor'.  I remember writing down my sighting that night and I described the objects, yes there were two of them, close together, one slightly ahead of the other, as 'looking like M35'. 

The problem with my object(s) is that they were only visible for a few seconds, and they did a kind of an  'S' wiggle before they disappeared. 

I have often thought what this could have been, and the only remotely possible answer is that it was two birds, geese or owls, catching  a bright light from the ground. I've seen a lot of birds flying over at night, but never anything that looked like this.

• nyairman likes this

#7 nyairman

nyairman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: upstate new york

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:06 PM

Thank you for your responses! I am guessing that I have witnessed a rare visual. For that I am humbled. It is also a reminder that these objects are always present near our Earth. 

But have these objects been presenting a real danger to us? Are they being seen, or tracked well enough? I wonder. I think we can do more to track these objects. 

I wonder if NASA, or some observatory(s) had been tracking this large object?  

Just putting this out there :)

#8 t_image

t_image

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:03 PM

Thank you for your responses! I am guessing that I have witnessed a rare visual. For that I am humbled. It is also a reminder that these objects are always present near our Earth. 

But have these objects been presenting a real danger to us? Are they being seen, or tracked well enough? I wonder. I think we can do more to track these objects. 

I wonder if NASA, or some observatory(s) had been tracking this large object?  

Just putting this out there smile.gif

How large was it (by measurement or calculation, not by observation)? Why create a thread without adding important details and then ask a question as if everyone is in the know??????

Most 'fireworks" in the sky are not created by large NEOs, but grains of dust.....

Was there a cross-section measurement on radar?????

Did it leave a debris field on the ground? Did it leave an impact crater????

By observation one couldn't possible be able to estimate the actual size of the object....

I've seen a fireball that was report at the same time in a cluster of sightings that were 500 miles away but in the correct direction of my observation and same time....

Things hitting the atmosphere are very far up and what is seen is the interaction of the object and the atmosphere, not as it you could see the hot 'black body" itself.....

Also most nebulous phenomena observed are the result of fuel dumps after a rocket launch. But of course they persists......

https://www.dpreview...s/post/60613016

I think perhaps your idea of a "large object" and the NEOs that the Planetary Defense sector of NASA is concerned about is a very different thing......

#9 cosmologist

cosmologist

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Australia

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:19 PM

Yes, I too saw a nebulous looking meteor about 2 months ago. At first I thought it was a bird being illuminated by nearby lights. Observation was approximately 6 - 8 seconds, slow moving and not a straight path. After the first few seconds of trying to figure out what I was looking at, there appeared to be a brighter spot of illumination toward the center. One of the more unusual sightings I've had. But I did wonder if it was perhaps some space debris with left over propellant burning up.

• 555aaa likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics