•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RASA 8” & QHY163M

catadioptric
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Marco Prunotto

Marco Prunotto

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canton du Jura, Switzerland

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:01 PM

I just ordered a RASA 8” and I would like to image with my QHY163M. How should I connect that to the rasa to have the right spacing? can I use the filter holder of starizona/baader? Any suggestion welcome.

Best,
Marco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 djdoud

djdoud

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:55 PM

Hello,

The starizona filter holder is only for select zwo cameras.

https://www.highpoin...cameras-sfs-zwo

The baader filter drawer for RASA 8 is 13 mm spacing.

it is not for sale yet, but baader are posting pics of the testing, so hopefully soon

https://twitter.com/...279320601071617

Edited by djdoud, 18 April 2019 - 01:57 PM.

• N_DD likes this

#3 Marco Prunotto

Marco Prunotto

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:55 PM

thank you djdoud, M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 19 April 2019 - 10:13 AM

I attended a talk at NEAIC earlier this month given by a lady who has experience with both the 8-inch RASA and Hyperstar. Her conclusion - RASA is somewhat better (for imaging). She had a collection of beautiful work taken via both.

However, both she and at least one other RASA 8 owner in the audience mentioned that one of the 'pains' of using it is: changing filters while the dew shield is on! Both (like me and many) live where you can't use a Schmidt most nights without dew control. So, you need to be prepared to remove the dew shield between each filter change - and that means fiddling with wires, etc.

• Phil Cowell and psandelle like this

#5 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 19 April 2019 - 10:20 AM

I attended a talk at NEAIC earlier this month given by a lady who has experience with both the 8-inch RASA and Hyperstar. Her conclusion - RASA is somewhat better (for imaging). She had a collection of beautiful work taken via both.

However, both she and at least one other RASA 8 owner in the audience mentioned that one of the 'pains' of using it is: changing filters while the dew shield is on! Both (like me and many) live where you can't use a Schmidt most nights without dew control. So, you need to be prepared to remove the dew shield between each filter change - and that means fiddling with wires, etc.

This is one of the reasons why I like my Hyperstar. It keeps the filter and camera a bit further away from the corrector. I also have the Starizona shorter aluminum dew shield, which is easy to reach in to swap filters. It also has notches for running cables through.

https://starizona.co...c8-edge-hd-1394

I also like that it is less floppy than the flexible ones. I use it when when not using Hyperstar. I keep it in a standard paint bucket for protection and transport.

#6 Marco Prunotto

Marco Prunotto

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:19 AM

any images of RASA with QHY163M so far available?

best regards,
Marco

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:26 AM

Who was the lady? Anyway, she's right, switching filters is a huge inconvenience if you need to sleep and nearly impossible with a dew shield, that's why I am using my Hyperstar with a filter wheel. Never been happier!

• George N and gomezdb like this

#8 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:02 AM

On the 11 I use a metal dew shield and it makes things much easier.

• George N and MikeMiller like this

#9 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

Who was the lady? Anyway, she's right, switching filters is a huge inconvenience if you need to sleep and nearly impossible with a dew shield, that's why I am using my Hyperstar with a filter wheel. Never been happier!

Right now my NEAIC stuff is still packed away, but I found this in NEAIC 2019 thread "Stephanie Anderson, overview of RASA and Hyperstar imaging"  And that is exactly what her well-presented talk was about. She as experience with both, with fine examples of using both. I'll have to look there to see if there is a posting of her bio PDF file - probably is.

Her suggestion - use a OSC camera on the RASA 8.

Her conclusion is also - she will continue to use both, but thinks RASA produces better images, but Hyperstar is a more flexible solution.

Personally, I'm surprised that Celestron has not come out with a RASA-8 specific camera - science grade CMOS chip, with physical size and pixel size optimized for the design. Considering the popularity of the RASA-8 I'm sure it is only time before we see such a camera. The RASA begs for a manufacturer included corrector plate dew system.

#10 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:45 PM

On the 11 I use a metal dew shield and it makes things much easier.

Of course the RASA-11 gives more room to get one's fingers inside any dew shield.

With the 8, there's not a lot of room, and the filter drawer is smaller, and closer to the corrector and the camera. Not to mention that part of the idea behind the "8" is field use with a small and light-weight mount.

#11 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:53 PM

Right now my NEAIC stuff is still packed away, but I found this in NEAIC 2019 thread "Stephanie Anderson, overview of RASA and Hyperstar imaging"  And that is exactly what her well-presented talk was about. She as experience with both, with fine examples of using both. I'll have to look there to see if there is a posting of her bio PDF file - probably is.

Her suggestion - use a OSC camera on the RASA 8.

Her conclusion is also - she will continue to use both, but thinks RASA produces better images, but Hyperstar is a more flexible solution.

Personally, I'm surprised that Celestron has not come out with a RASA-8 specific camera - science grade CMOS chip, with physical size and pixel size optimized for the design. Considering the popularity of the RASA-8 I'm sure it is only time before we see such a camera. The RASA begs for a manufacturer included corrector plate dew system.

The old Nightscape 10.1MPixel would work well on the 8. For OSC I use the ATIK 4120EX on the 11.

#12 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:56 PM

Of course the RASA-11 gives more room to get one's fingers inside any dew shield.

With the 8, there's not a lot of room, and the filter drawer is smaller, and closer to the corrector and the camera. Not to mention that part of the idea behind the "8" is field use with a small and light-weight mount.

The Astrozap has screw that hold their metal dew shield. Easy to slacken off and lift up, change slide and replace and tighten. No problem on my Mach1 with movement. The Baader slide drawer is the same for both.

Edited by Phil Cowell, 20 April 2019 - 02:57 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: catadioptric

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics