•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter, GRS & Io Transit with iOptron 150 Mak

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Puerto Rico, US

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:01 PM

Hello,

I wanted to share my image of Jupiter with an Io transit from last night. It feels great to get  this level of detail with just 6" of aperture. No barlows were used, just the ASI178MC at prime focus and ZWO ADC. Capture in SharpCap and processing in Astra Image.

02_20_31_g4_ap30-clr-bal-sharp-cntr-sat-

• Sunspot, Achernar, gfeulner and 20 others like this

#2 aneeg

aneeg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nesodden, Norway

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:29 PM

Great result, Gustavo! Which mount did you use?

Arne

• gustavo_sanchez likes this

#3 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:30 PM

Great result, Gustavo! Which mount did you use?

Arne

An iOptron AZ Pro, the raw video lasted around two minutes, around 4,000 frames.fe93bef76c2300f822b2c8d2cf829ca0.jpg
  • Achernar, troyt, Gary Z and 3 others like this

#4 aneeg

aneeg

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:32 PM

Thanks! I am looking at this scope for my next upgrade.

I already have that mount.

Arne

Edited by aneeg, 18 April 2019 - 02:33 PM.

#5 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:32 PM

If you can get Google to translate it, my blog shows all the steps it took to process the image:

http://www.captandoe...en-astra-image/

#6 aneeg

aneeg

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:35 PM

I understand basic Spanish, enough to cary me through :-)

Arne

#7 nicoyenny

nicoyenny

Viking 1

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:04 PM

Excellent image!!!

Gracias 'tavo!!!

#8 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:48 PM

Hello,

I wanted to share my image of Jupiter with an Io transit from last night. It feels great to get  this level of detail with just 6" of aperture. No barlows were used, just the ASI178MC at prime focus and ZWO ADC. Capture in SharpCap and processing in Astra Image.

02_20_31_g4_ap30-clr-bal-sharp-cntr-sat-

Can't see it, so can't like it or judge, but I will say that you have a very nice little equipment setup. Inexpensive too, as far as decent imaging systems go.

• gustavo_sanchez and Defenderslideguitar like this

#9 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:02 PM

Can't see it, so can't like it or judge, but I will say that you have a very nice little equipment setup. Inexpensive too, as far as decent imaging systems go.

Hey thanks; the bottom ribbon of the image details the equipment used, and post #3 of this thread contains a photo.

Edited by gustavo_sanchez, 18 April 2019 - 04:03 PM.

• Astroman007 likes this

#10 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:26 PM

Great  Pic   soon I will begin to learn basic Astrophography   one can only hope to get a pic this good in my view.....Muy bueno

#11 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:19 PM

Nice image & nicely-processed Gustavo! waytogo.gif waytogo.gifwaytogo.gif  

#12 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:39 PM

Very good work, and your telescope is apparently surprisingly good for planetary imaging. You also had good seeing, which is often the difference between good, and poor images. While larger apertures are preferred, your image shows how well a 6-inch telescope can work on the moon and planets.

Taras

Edited by Achernar, 18 April 2019 - 07:41 PM.

#13 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:57 PM

Very good work, and your telescope is apparently surprisingly good for planetary imaging. You also had good seeing, which is often the difference between good, and poor images. While larger apertures are preferred, your image shows how well a 6-inch telescope can work on the moon and planets.

Taras

Thanks for the comments. To be honest, my seeing was not good! Did you watch the YouTube video in the blog post (link a few posts above)? If it doesn't look that bad, is thanks to SharCap! The seeing-filtered capture feature is a game changer. It lets you weed out the bad seeing frame during capture instead of afterwards during stacking, and makes your videos a lot better than they should be with a simple capture. I assure you, my seeing is mediocre at best. This capture functionality is what is making a small scope sing for planetary (within it's capabilities of course and having an apparently good sample doesn't hurt).

Edited by gustavo_sanchez, 18 April 2019 - 07:58 PM.

#14 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for the comments. To be honest, my seeing was not good! Did you watch the YouTube video in the blog post (link a few posts above)? If it doesn't look that bad, is thanks to SharCap! The seeing-filtered capture feature is a game changer. It lets you weed out the bad seeing frame during capture instead of afterwards during stacking, and makes your videos a lot better than they should be with a simple capture. I assure you, my seeing is mediocre at best. This capture functionality is what is making a small scope sing for planetary (within it's capabilities of course and having an apparently good sample doesn't hurt).

The seeing here along the Gulf Coast is usually poor, or worse too. Perhaps that is the case where you are as well. I have looked at the video, but I have heard of the seeing monitor feature that you have to pay for. Seeing like this is really bad for an 8-inch F/10 SCT, even more so if a 2X Barlow is also in play. I record a lot of video, and at best use 20 percent of it, often I less well under 10 percent and discard the rest. However, smaller telescopes are not bothered as much by poor or mediocre seeing than big ones. There's been many a night where I get quite nice views through my 6-inch, but the views are a hot mess through my 15-inch. That is why I opted for an 8-inch, because I am very familiar with being unable to get anything to focus at all through my big Dob. The seeing's effects are still there in a small telescope, but the smaller image scale ensures it's hidden. Still, you got very good results by any measure. A good warm up for this year's appearance of the planets, and the coming transit of Mercury across the Sun late this year.

Taras

Edited by Achernar, 18 April 2019 - 09:09 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics