•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Intelliscope 10" AZ way too stiff.,

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:29 PM

Hello I just got this scope.,used.,in very good shape.,but the AZ is way to ruff.,I have cleaned the pads and base.,and tried a few lubes but it's still too tight feeling.,

When I flip it on it's side it spins easy.,but turned upright the weight of the rocker box alone starts to make it turn hard.,

Is there supposed to be a washer between the incoder disc and the base?  Seems so.,

Any idea's.,thanks.,

#2 vincentv

vincentv

Vostok 1

• Loc: Costa Rica

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:26 PM

Look up the xt10i in Orion's website, then click "Product Manuals & Video". IIRC the manual had a minor mistake regarding the AZ axis. The videos show the proper way to assemble the base.

As for lube I've had excellent results with soap.

#3 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:35 PM

I looked at it quickly a while ago, that XT10 base.

I believe there was no washer between the bottom of the rocker box and the bottom plate, on the center axis. I was told to add a Teflon washer there + a plastic sheet thickness to lift the center of the mount a slight amount higher then the pads on the edge of the assembly. I never tried but it makes sense.

That way, all the weight would be on the central pivot point instead of being far away on the outer edge pads. I think the intelliscope sensor would need to go in order to install a Teflon washer there, is it really useful? not for me.

I didn't measure the thickness of the existing Teflon pads but it's possible to buy Teflon 3/16" at ATM Optical Supply in Ontario Canada. I bought a piece there, they cut it to the desired dimensions, very nice.

https://atmopticalsupply.com/

Just ideas.

#4 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:28 PM

Thanks.,I thought I would try some furniture slides.,I can raise the middle and still keep things in place.,

I have the manuel and see there is no washer there,,I will try the soap and a center washer/riser and see how it goes..,

Edited by clearwaterdave, 18 April 2019 - 06:30 PM.

#5 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:06 PM

I did the soap and put 4 washers made from milkcarton type plastic.,this has helped a lot.,I will try 2 more washers.,at some point too many will make the top box wobble but it does help lifting the weight.,I did this on my Onesky with a semi flattened binder clip acting like a spring under the center and it worked good.,Thanks for the tips.,this will be a fun scope to use.,

• N3p likes this

#6 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:00 PM

Nice, a job well done and very fast too!  I like that telescope too, it's quite capable for DSOs and still not too hard to handle.

What about the intelliscope encoder, is it still there after the operation?

Have fun with the new telescope!

#7 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:21 PM

All the encoder parts are still in place.,not sure if the washers will affect it's ability to function but we shall see when the clouds go away.,

I plan to get a dolly for it so it can stay in one piece and be moved easy.,

#8 Scott Regener

Scott Regener

Apollo

• Loc: SE Minnesota

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:22 AM

I did the Ebony Star ring for the AZ on my Intelliscope, and it made a world of difference. It doesn't spin like a record player, but the resistance level is now perfect for staying still in a slight breeze while moving freely.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#9 donald41

donald41

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:27 AM

i sold the one i purchased new from orion about 2 years ago for the same reason. had their 12" solid tube and it was even worse, i bought a ebony star ring for it and it made some difference, i sold it too. i purchased to 10" thinking it would be better, no luck. i love the intelliscope locator but before i purchase another one orion will have to come up with a solution for the ruff movement.

#10 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:16 PM

I can't believe that they feel the little plastic squares are good enough.,My $400 Z8 came with a much better system.,

And the focuser is kinda lame as well.,It turns and works good.,but it's soo short you can't turn it without catching your fingers between the tube and the knob.,HELLO,,.

Last but not least.,The tension adjustment for Alt.,With no tension it moves ok in an upward motion but is harder on a downward pull.,add tension and it gets harder in both directions.,and they try to use tension to off set balance issues.,again..come on.,??.,For $900 they should do better.,my two cents.,lol.,

I hope the optics make up for the lack of quality in the other essential parts of the set up.,.

I have gotten it to move ok in az.,and a small counter weight may help the balance issue.,.time under the stars will determine what happens next.,

#11 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:26 PM

Boy was I grumpy in that last post.,lol.,I was just shocked at how hard the AZ was to move.,

I have put soap on the pads and I made washers from plastic about 2"round that I put between the encoder disc and the base.,Without these the stiction was still to much.,

Now it is very good.,but I don't know if the encoder will be affected or not.,

Does the disc turn?.,I think it does but I know nothing.,lol.,

I am much happier with the scope now that I soaped it.,

I'm going to rig a counterweight up underneath the top.,so the tension can be used as it should be.,It will be good.,

The mirror is spotless.,waytogo.gif

#12 Mountaineer370

Mountaineer370

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:37 AM

I'm following this thread with interest, as I'm really close to buying a 10" Dob, and I was almost sure it was going to be the Orion XT10i.  Now I'm not so sure.  I know the Apertura/Zhumell has nicer bearings, but I really, really want the push-to on the Intelliscope.  I had borrowed our club's XT8i last summer and had the exact same problem with too much stiction in azimuth, but I chalked it up to the scope possibly not being as clean as it should.  I did try cleaning the bearings but, at that time, I did not know about the soap trick.  I had a chance to try out a fellow club member's XT10i at an event, and it seemed very smooth, so I felt reassured.  Now, I'm back to being apprehensive.

I'm looking forward to more reports from you, Dave, when the weather clears and you get a chance to get out and use the Intelliscope feature on yours.

Edited by Mountaineer370, 21 April 2019 - 07:38 AM.

#13 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:33 AM

Hello Cheri.,All I can say is don't hold your breath waiting for my first light with it.,We have a full week of rain in the forecast.,lol.,

The soap did help.,but I think the washers helped more.,and I wonder how often the soap need to be reapplied.,You may consider pm'ing havesman.,( Dick Gentry)., He has had one of these for years.,and seems to like.,

I'm sure he will answer any questions you may have.,Cheers

• Mountaineer370 likes this

#14 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:40 PM

Well the AZ part of the intell wasn't working.,in the process of trying to fix it I broke one of the little square sensors on the az board.,Now it really doesn't work.,Sort of a bummer.,I don't need the pushto but I kinda payed for it.,and was told it worked.,Lesson learned.,believe no one.,don't count on electronics.,

Glad I like starhopping.,Do I get a few less rainy days since it is defective.,lol.,

#15 Mountaineer370

Mountaineer370

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:52 PM

Well, that is a bummer.  It's been discussed often on CN about how Orion does not sell spare parts to anyone but the person who purchased it new from them.  They do sell an Intelliscope controller that says it comes with encoders and cables.  I don't really know if this is a complete replacement for the whole system and if it would include the part that is broken on yours.  Still, it's $200, and I know you already paid to have the Intelliscope feature on the used scope you just bought. frown.gif

Yes, I do think you should get a credit on the weather for this, and when the skies clear, I hope you will be able to report that the optics are really great!

• clearwaterdave likes this

#16 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:39 PM

In all the fiddling I've done with it I know I would not be happy with just the soap on the pads for the AZ.,It was still to stiff.,

It moves very nicely now with the washers.,And I just tried moving it with the dolly out on to the deck.,It's as grab n go as it gets.,waytogo.gif

• Mountaineer370 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics