•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Going to order a SW 120ED

• Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

#326 jag767

jag767

Kinesis Custom Machining and Refinishing

• Vendors
  • Loc: Massapequa, NY

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:48 AM

It’s been a minute since I’ve brought this out. Don’t let anyone fool you. When they say quick cool down in a 120mm refractor, they don’t mean right away. Took a good 20 minutes to get a nice view finally. Also noticed a couple of my higher power eyepieces could use a good cleaning.

Staying off the eyepiece forum lately lately though has made me appreciate what I have in eyepieces. Although I still don’t like the AT 3.2mm in my 120, I think that and the 11 will be the only ones replaced down the road. I’ve got a 9mm 100 degree coming my way shortly so the 11 won’t see much time in focuser after that.

The performance over over the past couple months have really stood up to everything I wanted. It’s quick to bring out and set up, even quicker using the Orion Padded Case, it works great with the doubles and clusters in my Bortles 9 Detroit light dome. Planets, when conditions are right, look as they should. Even with Luna I’m doing so much more observing on that just because I enjoy the power the scope can use against it. And mounting requirements can be had with proper balancing without needing 1000 dollar mounts for visual observing.

On mine I more or less use the ES 82° line, with the supplement of the maxvision 40mm 68°. The 4.7mm looks great, and since i dont really have a love for doubles, gives me about as small of an exit pupil as i am comfortable with. I also prefer to use mine on a manual alt/az mount, which i am in the process of upgrading.
  • Jond105 likes this

#327 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:56 AM

On mine I more or less use the ES 82° line, with the supplement of the maxvision 40mm 68°. The 4.7mm looks great, and since i dont really have a love for doubles, gives me about as small of an exit pupil as i am comfortable with. I also prefer to use mine on a manual alt/az mount, which i am in the process of upgrading.

Yeah, when I first got the scope, I had the set of the 82 degree line. I still have the 6.7mm, 4.7mm, 11mm, and the 30mm. The 6.7 and 4.7 are definitely 2 I’ll hold onto for high power. Well, at least for now. There are a couple 100 degree high power eyepieces I’d love to have one day. That’s only because I find myself using the Alt-Az mount more and more. 

• jag767 likes this

#328 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:42 AM

It’s been a minute since I’ve brought this out. Don’t let anyone fool you. When they say quick cool down in a 120mm refractor, they don’t mean right away. Took a good 20 minutes to get a nice view finally. Also noticed a couple of my higher power eyepieces could use a good cleaning. 

Staying off the eyepiece forum lately lately though has made me appreciate what I have in eyepieces. Although I still don’t like the AT 3.2mm in my 120, I think that and the 11 will be the only ones replaced down the road. I’ve got a 9mm 100 degree coming my way shortly so the 11 won’t see much time in focuser after that. 

The performance over over the past couple months have really stood up to everything I wanted. It’s quick to bring out and set up, even quicker using the Orion Padded Case, it works great with the doubles and clusters in my Bortles 9 Detroit light dome. Planets, when conditions are right, look as they should. Even with Luna I’m doing so much more observing on that just because I enjoy the power  the scope can use against it. And mounting requirements can be had with proper balancing without needing 1000 dollar mounts for visual observing. 

My 9mm Morpheus gives 100x in my 120ED. It was the first of that range, and is so easy to use along with an 8mm LVW and XW 10mm Pentax each side of it. My Nikon NAV SW 17.5mm with Nikon EiC16 1.6x Barlow, making an 11mm optic, is also excellent. 

Evenings are darkening already here at 51N. Another month it will be dark before 9pm and longer sessions will be possible.

• RAKing and Jond105 like this

#329 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:16 AM

I literally don’t know why I own an EQ mount anymore. Had a great weekend with this set up. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 8F436FFB-1363-469E-B00E-D2F315035CFC.jpeg

• tony_spina, niteskystargazer, pdxmoon and 3 others like this

#330 jag767

jag767

• Vendors

Posted 05 August 2019 - 03:11 AM

Yeah, when I first got the scope, I had the set of the 82 degree line. I still have the 6.7mm, 4.7mm, 11mm, and the 30mm. The 6.7 and 4.7 are definitely 2 I’ll hold onto for high power. Well, at least for now. There are a couple 100 degree high power eyepieces I’d love to have one day. That’s only because I find myself using the Alt-Az mount more and more.

I havent gone to 100°..... yet. I'm sure once i get one it's all over. The 40mm 68° has become a favorite for me, woth 3° Fov for some low power sweeping it's really enjoyable.

I prefer a new sturdy Alt/Az any day of the week as well, mostly because i seldom get a long time to view, and this seeems to be the more efficient option.
  • 25585 and Jond105 like this

#331 jag767

jag767

• Vendors

Posted 05 August 2019 - 03:17 AM

I literally don’t know why I own an EQ mount anymore. Had a great weekend with this set up.

One of the perks of the 120 is definitely what I'd call the free aperture over a 102 class ota as far as mounting requirements. What some see as lower end build quality, i look at as the benefit of less mount needed for a rock solid view. My upgraded mount resolved the vibration i had been getting, but it was solely an issue of length. The only regret i have with my 120 is not getting one sooner!
  • RAKing, 25585 and Jond105 like this

#332 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2019 - 04:03 AM

One of the perks of the 120 is definitely what I'd call the free aperture over a 102 class ota as far as mounting requirements. What some see as lower end build quality, i look at as the benefit of less mount needed for a rock solid view. My upgraded mount resolved the vibration i had been getting, but it was solely an issue of length. The only regret i have with my 120 is not getting one sooner!

I think if last year I would have saved longer for the 120ED before purchasing the 100ED new, I would have saved myself a lot of time and effort of going through a couple more telescopes. I am glad to hear you got your mount squared away finally for your 120ED as well. 

As far as your first post, I wish I could use my ES82 30mm a little more, but due to all the light pollution, I hardly ever put it in my focuser. So I can never really go too low for power. Only reason I hold onto it is for the day I finally get to that dark sky near my parents house they just moved into down south. So even if it gets used once or a twice a year, I feel it’s better to have it than not have it in my arsenal. 

• MGD and 25585 like this

#333 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:55 PM

I'm hooked on the Ethos here in the 120. Nice images with a nice sky around the planets. I've always like the Pan 27 in the ~900mm scopes here but now the Ethos 17 has replaced it. More horsepower and just shy of the same FOV, nice.  smile.gif

Peace...

• Jond105 likes this

#334 jag767

jag767

• Vendors

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

I think if last year I would have saved longer for the 120ED before purchasing the 100ED new, I would have saved myself a lot of time and effort of going through a couple more telescopes. I am glad to hear you got your mount squared away finally for your 120ED as well.

As far as your first post, I wish I could use my ES82 30mm a little more, but due to all the light pollution, I hardly ever put it in my focuser. So I can never really go too low for power. Only reason I hold onto it is for the day I finally get to that dark sky near my parents house they just moved into down south. So even if it gets used once or a twice a year, I feel it’s better to have it than not have it in my arsenal.

LP is terrible here too, I'm a stones throw from Manhattan, but i still like to sweep around. One of my favorites is my 18mm 82°. Anything from f6 to f9 it has given me really fantastic views. I dont use a finder, and usually this gives me enough of a Fov to find what I'm looking for. The balance on my upgraded mount is more forgiving, so i may opt for something else soon though. Actually spent some time dialing it in today, and its rock solid, now i just need a clear night!
  • Jond105 likes this

#335 blange3

blange3

Vostok 1

• Loc: Woodbridge, NJ

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:53 PM

Every time I read this thread I go home and apologize to my brand new SW100 for being unfaithful. Then I put a few more coins away for an eventual upgrade. wink.gif

• Gurdi and Jond105 like this

#336 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:05 PM

Every time I read this thread I go home and apologize to my brand new SW100 for being unfaithful. Then I put a few more coins away for an eventual upgrade. wink.gif

Polygamy is good when it comes to scopes. I have a hareem. 

#337 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:08 AM

I see myself living this winter with the APM HDC 100 13mm in my focuser this winter. 

Attached Thumbnails

• F13EAD66-2C63-42D0-9BC3-FBCE9201C9EA.jpeg

• Bomber Bob likes this

#338 Chesterguy1

Chesterguy1

Viking 1

• Loc: Stillwater, OK

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:40 PM

Jon:

I know what you are saying. I sold my Vixen GP GEM, which my Vixen 90 is mounted on in the photo and replaced it with an Ioptron AZ Mount Pro, but my main grab 'n go is the UA Deluxe that the SW 120mm is mounted on. These days I typically use the SW 120mm on the AZMP and the V90 on the UA Deluxe. The UA Deluxe can--and has--handle(d) the weight and moment arm of the 120mm, but the V90 is a better fit as I don't have to torque the bearings quite as snug resulting in a smoother ALT motion--although I never found it problematic with the 120mm except at the very highest magnifications. The SW is about double the weight with accessories as the Vixen--something like close to 19 lbs vs. 10 lbs.

Chesterguy

TwoScopes.jpg

• Bomber Bob and Jond105 like this

#339 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:40 PM

Is this a mount you pieced together, or can it be purchased as seen in your picture?  If you don't mind me asking--what is it?

#340 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:43 PM

Is this a mount you pieced together, or can it be purchased as seen in your picture?  If you don't mind me asking--what is it?

It’s an AZ4. I already had the legs so I just purchased an Orion Versago ii since it the same head as an AZ4, and used that on my legs I already had over the aluminum that came with it. Only because AZ4 isn’t sold here in the US anymore. 

#341 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:28 PM

I literally don’t know why I own an EQ mount anymore.

I gotta have an EQ -- and motorized at that -- for hands-free tracking.  I'm no artist, but I like to sketch; and, for planetary imaging, too.  But I've about worn out my VersaGo 2, and I want to upgrade to an AZ that'll carry my Jaegers 4" F5 on one side, and my 5" F5 triplet on the other.

• RAKing, Chesterguy1 and Jond105 like this

#342 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:44 PM

I gotta have an EQ -- and motorized at that -- for hands-free tracking.  I'm no artist, but I like to sketch; and, for planetary imaging, too.  But I've about worn out my VersaGo 2, and I want to upgrade to an AZ that'll carry my Jaegers 4" F5 on one side, and my 5" F5 triplet on the other.

I still use the EQ mount on moonlit nights for Facebook Live and double star observing. It just has been getting used less and less over the past 3-4 months. 

#343 Chesterguy1

Chesterguy1

Viking 1

• Loc: Stillwater, OK

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:12 PM

And there is a value to tracking for fainter stuff, too. Being able to relax with the object in the fov is like gaining some aperture. While I wish I had that feature on my 15", I have discovered that it's probably more valuable with my 3.5" and 4.7" refractors since the images are so much dimmer to begin with. That was something that was good about my venerable GP, but the tracking works just as well with my AZMP. When I get those rare nights of above average seeing it is a significant bonus on the Saturn, Jupiter and the Moon.

Chesterguy

• RAKing and Jond105 like this

#344 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:49 PM

And there is a value to tracking for fainter stuff, too. 

Chesterguy

Must be nice to view from a spot where you can see faint stuff mad.gif lol.gif

• 25585 likes this

#345 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:35 PM

Must be nice to view from a spot where you can see faint stuff mad.gif lol.gif

I have to travel at least an hour to reach one of those.  Even then it's "only" a yellow zone.  Spoiled observers wouldn't even call that a dark site.  :shrug:

Mike

• Tyson M and 25585 like this

#346 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:39 PM

Just sold this beautiful scope. With Christmas right around the corner, and bonus dropped substantially due to automotive sales this year and the GM strike, it was well worth the sell for what I want to get my wife for Christmas. Neo will be missed, and I know we will meet again one day, but it’s been an amazing almost 7 months using this scope. Until we meet again my friend. Neo will always be my dream scope. And after using it, will never forget it. 

• dmorrow likes this

#347 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:44 PM

I was sorry to see your ad listed on CN.  

The 120mm refractor is really a nice, "Goldilocks" type scope.  I hope things work out better for you soon. flowerred.gif 

Cheers,

Ron

• Sarkikos and Jond105 like this

#348 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:51 PM

I was sorry to see your ad listed on CN.  

The 120mm refractor is really a nice, "Goldilocks" type scope.  I hope things work out better for you soon. flowerred.gif

Cheers,

Ron

Thanks Ron, I would shed a tear for this one if I knew how to. But my wife will love what I get her for the sale. So to me, I’ll eventually be just fine. Now to just make up my mind, AT102ED or a 150 mak. I’ve had this money saved up for so long for an eyepiece, and just kept adding to it. 

• RAKing likes this

#349 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:00 PM

Jond, a very noble sacrifice you have made. waytogo.gif  For any loved one, human or pet, I would sell my stuff if needed.

I am sure your wife will appreciate her gift all the more. salute.gif

• Jond105 likes this

#350 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:16 PM

Well cats already out of the bag. Hard to hide carrying two big boxes out to the Jeep to be shipped out lol. Why I did it though. She said “don’t worry don’t sell it”. That’s all I needed to know I made the right decision. Thanks everyone 

• bbyrd, John O'Hara, dmorrow and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics