•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Going to order a SW 120ED

• Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

#51 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:43 PM

When I ordered the 120 I had two real concerns, the optics and the focuser. I wasn't expecting much focuser wise and honestly didn't know what to expect optics wise. Heard both ways as to the optics and I don't really care for that "hope I get a good one" thought/feeling. When this one arrived the box had a couple of holes poked in it, not bad but enough evidence to show that it got slapped around during transit. So expecting the case to be busted (was already expecting this before purchasing) and it looked like I just walked out the front door of Synta with it lol. Everything arrived just proper, no problems. The first crank on the focuser and I knew I had the best Chinese Crayford I had ever had, it was adjusted just perfect. I steer by the diagonal and walk the sky with the Ethos 17 on the Twilight II and the focuser hasn't let out the first groan or growl, just perfect. I've been trying to get all the sky time in I can before side by side comparisons here but as we know weather isn't allowing much so I still consider everything still preliminary but I have to admit the optics have really surprised me. I wasn't expecting this at all. It is under corrected and the TV-102 sample here is over corrected. The 102 has a better figure with less SA testing on Polaris. but on a target in the EP I cannot find the difference. The 102 is 880mm at f/8.6 and the 120 900mm at f/7.5. Right now I have the 5 inch TV-102 I've always wanted and this I *never* expected and am just surprised, really surprised. As I shared I am very thankful for this example here and feel like I have the best SW120 Evostar ever to leave the Synta shop. And Jond105 I truly hope you get one just like this one because to this point the best way for me to describe in one word is "surprised". And I truly am.

Peace...

• BKBrown, paul m schofield, Tyson M and 4 others like this

#52 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:05 PM

I was fortunate, the stock focused for the SW120ED was actually very good/smooth. No feathertouch or moonlite smooth, but perfectly acceptable for heavy 2" eyepieces.

I’m hoping that’s how mine comes in as well. 

#53 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:13 PM

Jon

Congratulations on your selection - I cannot wait to hear your feedback on its performance.

Everything I have read indicates you will be very happy!

Please keep us updated.

Thank you astrolog, hopefully I’ll get some good clear nights at some point after receiving it. So far it’s been spring showers here every day. Hope you are still enjoying the LX85 R5. 

#54 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:18 PM

And Jond105 I truly hope you get one just like this one because to this point the best way for me to describe in one word is "surprised". And I truly am.

Peace...

Thanks Jeremiah, I’m hoping mine is anywhere as close to yours came to you. 

• jeremiah2229 likes this

#55 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:04 PM

Well for the 30 ES82, definitely buy the 2.5mm.

I have a 2” Moonlight on my ED120 and it handles my 31mm Nagler with ease.
  • Tyson M and Jond105 like this

#56 starryhtx

starryhtx

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:32 AM

When I ordered the 120 I had two real concerns, the optics and the focuser. I wasn't expecting much focuser wise and honestly didn't know what to expect optics wise. Heard both ways as to the optics and I don't really care for that "hope I get a good one" thought/feeling. When this one arrived the box had a couple of holes poked in it, not bad but enough evidence to show that it got slapped around during transit. So expecting the case to be busted (was already expecting this before purchasing) and it looked like I just walked out the front door of Synta with it lol. Everything arrived just proper, no problems. The first crank on the focuser and I knew I had the best Chinese Crayford I had ever had, it was adjusted just perfect. I steer by the diagonal and walk the sky with the Ethos 17 on the Twilight II and the focuser hasn't let out the first groan or growl, just perfect. I've been trying to get all the sky time in I can before side by side comparisons here but as we know weather isn't allowing much so I still consider everything still preliminary but I have to admit the optics have really surprised me. I wasn't expecting this at all. It is under corrected and the TV-102 sample here is over corrected. The 102 has a better figure with less SA testing on Polaris. but on a target in the EP I cannot find the difference. The 102 is 880mm at f/8.6 and the 120 900mm at f/7.5. Right now I have the 5 inch TV-102 I've always wanted and this I *never* expected and am just surprised, really surprised. As I shared I am very thankful for this example here and feel like I have the best SW120 Evostar ever to leave the Synta shop. And Jond105 I truly hope you get one just like this one because to this point the best way for me to describe in one word is "surprised". And I truly am.

Peace...

So you’re saying the 102 and 120 produce the same image, as in why get the 120 if the 102 is just as good? I’m confused as to what you’re saying in your post.

#57 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:36 AM

I think that what he is saying is that since the focal lengths are so close to being the same, the field of view is virtually identical.

#58 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:27 PM

Just sharing that I did not expect the SW120 Evostar to match the TV-102 optically. Though a star test shows the 102 to have the better figure my eye cannot see this difference during normal observing thus far. Ever since day one with the TV-102 I have wished it was a "TV-127" as the extra inch does a lot for my old eye. Since the TV-102 and the SW120 Evostar are so close in focal length I have just been comparing them side by side and able to use the same eyepiece (the extra 20mm of length is moot) and the results have surprised me, really surprised me. I expected the 120 to more more of an ED optic (semi APO) and not and APO optic and the sample here has proven my assumption wrong.

Before I had the 120 and the 102 side by side I was just using the 120 solo trying to glean all I could before I compared with any other scopes here. During this time I kept "feeling" like I was using the TV-102 with the 120 as it was giving the same detail/view (from memory) but of course more light. For example I do not chase bright stars looking for false color but I will notice it if present on anything I am studying and since Sirius was up when I received the 120 I checked for false color here. On Sirius there is no false color at all, in focus or either side of focus with the 120. I did not expect this.

So I'm sharing that I did not expect to receive an optic with a figure this good. And now I have that "TV-127" I have wanted from day one of receiving and using the TV-102. The extra inch of aperture does wonders for my old right eye. I can study Luna with the 120 at 300x (sky permitting) where the 102 is very dim at 300x and I would stop at 200x with any 4 inch scope here.

This sample I have here of the SW120 Evostar has just flat out surprised me, absolutely wasn't expecting the optic to be this nice. And though the 120 is twice the price as the 100 for a puny 20mm I personally wouldn't think twice about getting the 120 over the 100, I need/want that extra 20mm, it's nice for me.

I've probably muddied this even more but that is not my intention. My intention was to share that I was very surprised with the 120 I received and I hope the OP gets one just like this one.

Peace...

• paul m schofield, 25585 and Jond105 like this

#59 kim.davis

kim.davis

Explorer 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:33 PM

Just sharing that I did not expect the SW120 Evostar to match the TV-102 optically. Though a star test shows the 102 to have the better figure my eye cannot see this difference during normal observing thus far. Ever since day one with the TV-102 I have wished it was a "TV-127" as the extra inch does a lot for my old eye. Since the TV-102 and the SW120 Evostar are so close in focal length I have just been comparing them side by side and able to use the same eyepiece (the extra 20mm of length is moot) and the results have surprised me, really surprised me. I expected the 120 to more more of an ED optic (semi APO) and not and APO optic and the sample here has proven my assumption wrong.

Before I had the 120 and the 102 side by side I was just using the 120 solo trying to glean all I could before I compared with any other scopes here. During this time I kept "feeling" like I was using the TV-102 with the 120 as it was giving the same detail/view (from memory) but of course more light. For example I do not chase bright stars looking for false color but I will notice it if present on anything I am studying and since Sirius was up when I received the 120 I checked for false color here. On Sirius there is no false color at all, in focus or either side of focus with the 120. I did not expect this.

So I'm sharing that I did not expect to receive an optic with a figure this good. And now I have that "TV-127" I have wanted from day one of receiving and using the TV-102. The extra inch of aperture does wonders for my old right eye. I can study Luna with the 120 at 300x (sky permitting) where the 102 is very dim at 300x and I would stop at 200x with any 4 inch scope here.

This sample I have here of the SW120 Evostar has just flat out surprised me, absolutely wasn't expecting the optic to be this nice. And though the 120 is twice the price as the 100 for a puny 20mm I personally wouldn't think twice about getting the 120 over the 100, I need/want that extra 20mm, it's nice for me.

I've probably muddied this even more but that is not my intention. My intention was to share that I was very surprised with the 120 I received and I hope the OP gets one just like this one.

Peace...

I remember your post a few years back abut orion 150 mak. Did you have a chance to compare 150 mak and 120ed for planetary details? What about dso? 150 can go deeper or similar? I'm considering having mak for planet,moon as well as some dso. Any advice would be appreciated.

#60 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:04 PM

I remember your post a few years back abut orion 150 mak. Did you have a chance to compare 150 mak and 120ed for planetary details? What about dso? 150 can go deeper or similar? I'm considering having mak for planet,moon as well as some dso. Any advice would be appreciated.

No planets yet but I have had the 150 and the 120 side by side on some globulars and not the best sky. I'll use M13 as an example and one night this was a clear sky but damp. I was using the Pentax XWs in both and at 90x with direct vision the view was the same to my eye. Using averted vision and the 150 had the brighter core and the dimmer outer stars were brighter, easier to see. When I doubled the magnification to 180x the 150 was brighter with direct vision slightly, maybe, one of those "is it or is it not" deals but with averted vision the 150 absolutely pulled ahead. Brighter and outer dimmer stars much easier to see. At 257x it was really too much for the conditions but here it belonged to the 150 on axis and off. Not exactly pretty but the 150 (in this sky) brought out individual stars where the 120 seemed to struggle, but this was too much for the sky. XWs used were 20, 10, 7, 5, 3.5.

And here is an interesting BTW that happened. I went in and grabbed the Ethos 10 to compare to the XW 10 in each scope and was sorta' mesmerized. The Ethos was just flat out brighter in each scope compared to the Pentax. I had noticed this on some nebula and galaxies before this night and was in a way thinking the Ethos would be brighter but I didn't think it would do as it did. The XWs are my gotos for globs but they are being bested by the Ethos. And my very unprofessional biased reasoning behind this is I think that extra field just excites the receptors in my eye. It's like my right eye goes into hibernation mode once it is dilated then needs some light to wake it up. Crazy I know but that is how it seems.

The 120 was purchased to replace the SV130EDT and I mount the 130 with the 150 all the time and it is a nice pairing, but, the Mak needs some steady air to show off. Steady air and and it will excite my receptors at 360x and give a very nice presentation of solar system targets (and more). The 130 (and should be the same with the 120) will lag in light grasp at this magnification but not a knockout blow. But as you approach 400x and over the 150 (in steady sky) just keeps on going. I wouldn't want to be without the handy little 150 Mak, too much enjoyment with it. But folded light guys need some current free air. That is the only down side with the Maksutov, need-steady-air.

Hope that helps if not I'll try again.  ;)

Peace...

• Cpk133, kim.davis and 25585 like this

#61 starryhtx

starryhtx

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:22 PM

Peace...

Why would you assume it would perform like an ED optic when it uses FPL-53 glass which from what I read is pretty much the best you could ask for, it's what Takahashi uses in their scopes. 

Edited by starryhtx, 20 April 2019 - 08:25 PM.

#62 kim.davis

kim.davis

Explorer 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:06 PM

jeremiah2229: thank you so much for the detailed comparison in observing m13. I really appreciate that. Looks like bigger aperture can go deeper in DSO despite the central obstruction.

150 mak seems really attractive, your review made me pull a trigger. I was in between 150 mak and GSO 6CC, and lean toward mak.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion on 120ed. I agree 120ed is excellent!
  • jeremiah2229 and Jond105 like this

#63 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:08 PM

It’s ok. I was a few days away from giving up on the dob selling, and pulling the trigger on the 150 mak myself. Once the dob sold, I wouldn’t had been able to live with myself without getting the 120ed as I’ve wanted to look through one since last year when I got my 100ED

• 25585 likes this

#64 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:08 PM

Why would you assume it would perform like an ED optic when it uses FPL-53 glass which from what I read is pretty much the best you could ask for, it's what Takahashi uses in their scopes. 

FPL-53 is ED glass. In my own scope, I notice almost no chromatic aberration on anything, including Venus. What I do notice is a bit of yellowing as you pass 250x.

• Jond105 likes this

#65 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:37 PM

As long as it’s cleaner than the f/8.3 achro, I’ll be extremely happy

Attached Thumbnails

• 0325AF8F-1B09-4685-A61D-B8659D9F5441.jpeg

#66 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:39 AM

As long as it’s cleaner than the f/8.3 achro, I’ll be extremely happy

If it is as good as mine you will be shocked.

• Jond105 likes this

#67 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:50 AM

And my SW 120 got ordered from Amazon this morning! For much less than $1.4K I couldn’t resist! 😉👍😀
  • Tyson M, jeremiah2229, Steve Allison and 2 others like this

#68 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:53 AM

And my SW 120 got ordered from Amazon this morning! For much less than $1.4K I couldn’t resist!

I know people might knock us for ordering through Amazon, but it’s a deal that was too hard to beat and pass on 

• belgrade and jeremiah2229 like this

#69 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:05 AM

You can have the "best" of everything for a build but if the execution of the build is "half hearted" you will have a "half hearted" out come.

Peace...

#70 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:16 AM

Jond105, my loyalty lies with my family’s budget. 🤓 I’m sure yours too. Who doesn’t want to understand that... well, not our problem.

Edited by belgrade, 21 April 2019 - 11:17 AM.

• punk35, jeremiah2229, 25585 and 1 other like this

#71 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:23 AM

jeremiah2229: thank you so much for the detailed comparison in observing m13. I really appreciate that. Looks like bigger aperture can go deeper in DSO despite the central obstruction.

150 mak seems really attractive, your review made me pull a trigger. I was in between 150 mak and GSO 6CC, and lean toward mak.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion on 120ed. I agree 120ed is excellent!

You are certainly welcome and I hope indeed it was helpful. And don't fall for that myth that a central obstruction equates to less aperture, it is false and needs to be buried, forever. All the CO does is get in the way of the target and "can" cause loss of contrast. That is why we OCD folks want the smallest secondary we can get, contrast. Point your refractor at Luna this evening and study it a bit then swing over so a small branch on the tree is in the way, keep getting more branches in the view until you lose contrast. Those branches didn't change the aperture of your refractor one iota, just affected the contrast. I had the SW120 here last evening peeking through the woods because that is all I had and was thankful to get to see.  waytogo.gif

Peace...

Edited by jeremiah2229, 21 April 2019 - 11:27 AM.

• kim.davis likes this

#72 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:28 AM

Interesting about the XW. I find my Nikon 10mm SW brighter than XW. And they are both 70 AFOV.

#73 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:43 AM

Interesting about the XW. I find my Nikon 10mm SW brighter than XW. And they are both 70 AFOV.

I do not want to derail the Jond105's thread but I agree, yes it is interesting and now with your share it's becoming intriguing. Lol, I didn't need to know this because of the temptation to grab one and compare here.

Peace...

• kim.davis and 25585 like this

#74 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:19 PM

And my SW 120 got ordered from Amazon this morning! For much less than $1.4K I couldn’t resist! 😉👍😀

Now that all the holiday stuff is over, I forgot to say I chose free shipping, so if you get yours before I get mine, be sure to let me know how yours turned out for you if you don’t mind.

#75 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:12 PM

No problem, my is coming Tuesday with 2-day free Prime shipping.
  • Jond105 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics