•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First scope - thinking about upgrades

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Zephyrus

Zephyrus

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:42 PM

Hey all,
Just got my first telescope. The tube is a 9.25" celestron sct. It came with a 1.25" visual back and a matching star diagonal.
I'm looking to get at least one decent low mag eyepiece, and I've got my eye on some 2" pieces, like the 50mm High Point Scientific super view, or one of the Russel Optic pieces I've seen others post about.
I guess what I'm wondering is if its worthwhile to invest early in a 2" star diagonal and 2" eye pieces, or if I should get some decent 1.25" wide views. My scope came with a HPS eyepiece kit, the largest eyepiece is 32mm with probably 40 degrees or less AFOV. I dont have my notes on me, but if I recall, that's about 0.7 degrees true field of view, vs I think about 1.2 or 1.25 for the 50mm HPS
Other than the celestron focal reducer / corrector, any other good bang for the buck upgrades for the scope?
Unit is NexStar Evolution 9.25

#2 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:31 PM

Hi Zephyrus and welcome to the forums!

That's a very powerful scope you have there. Before you go buying a bunch of stuff, get at least 10 good sessions in with the new scope and learn how you'll use what it will do. Continue to do your research as you are and when you see what your scope will do for you from your location you should have a really good idea what to add. Otherwise you're taking advice from folks that don't know what you want to see and from where you will try.

The best accessory for any scope is more time spent observing from a dark location.

But you want purchase advice. OK, mine is to pick up a good 1.25" widefield eyepiece like an ES68 24mm. Good in all scopes and you'll likely never just quit using it. If you're in a light polluted location, longer focal length 2" eyepieces may not buy you much when you factor in the brighter background sky.

Edited by havasman, 18 April 2019 - 09:32 PM.

• Jaimo!, Sarkikos, mumbles and 3 others like this

#3 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:57 PM

I would say yes, but the correct answer would be if you see something, or not, with a 2" eyepiece you don't see with a 1.25". My first scope was a C8. About the time got that Tele Vue was coming out with the Panoptic line, and had an SCT wide-field kit: 2" visual back adapter, TV 2" diagonal, Panoptic 35mm.

My second scope, for grab 'n go, was a Televue 85. It came with a 2" diagonal, and I bought a Panoptic 35mm. All I needed an SCT 2" visual back. I thoroughly enjoy the experience of the 35mm Panoptic and C8. But, I do not recall if had any 1.25" eyepieces that really competed with the 2" Panoptic in terms of quality and fov.

The above suggestion of an ES68mm 24mm is worthwhile. Having both side by side you would see some difference, but enough to justify the extra few hundred dollars for that particular 2" combo?

I will recommend a decent diagonal of either size.

edit for clarity and to correct my goofs

Edited by Littlegreenman, 19 April 2019 - 01:36 PM.

• Zephyrus likes this

#4 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

While this is a valid beginner question I think  you will get better, more specific answers about your SCT in the Cats and Casses forum.  I am going to move the thread to get you better exposure. 

• Zephyrus likes this

#5 BIG

BIG

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arizona High-Country

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:12 PM

Great scope you chose. The thing about sct's is that you can spend a small fortune on numerous accessories but I have found that, for me, only a few have proven to  be consistently useful. A good dew shield and Telrad finder are two that come to mind for my use.

As for 2" diagonal/eyepieces, I jumped in right away when I got my first C8. While I don't regret doing so, my reality of long-term use is that I usually only used my 2" wide fields as a finder eyepiece. Most of my extended observing was done at higher powers with 1.25 eyepieces. Although I did like the larger platform of the 2" diagonal for the smaller eyepieces  I also like using a baader zoom eyepiece that works well with the 2" diagonal.

Keep in mind that the long focal length of your scope is fairly forgiving on eyepiece quality so you don't have to get the absolute best for good performance. But having said that, if I were to do things over, I would make my accessory/ eyepiece purchases patiently and deliberately, spending more where warranted for quality design and performance. In other words, I would much rather have a few great items that I had no regrets owning, than trying to chase performance on the cheap with a bunch of unused disappointing purchases.

• Littlegreenman, Jaimo!, wrvond and 2 others like this

#6 PNW

PNW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lummi Island, WA

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:18 AM

I've heard that, due to the physics of an SCT you can expect about 1* TFOV. Mine came with a 40mm Omni that gets about 0.9* TFOV. Since we're entering the time of Globs, Galaxies, and Colored Doubles, I'd suggest a 1.25" wide field. In the winter, I use my refractor to fit the wide Open Clusters in the FOV.

Edited by PNW, 19 April 2019 - 09:18 AM.

• BFaucett and Zephyrus like this

#7 Peter B

Peter B

Viking 1

• Loc: Parker, Colorado

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:52 AM

Get a good observing chair and the StarSense module. You can't go wrong with either of those. SkySafari on a tablet is a fantastic addition.
  • Littlegreenman and Zephyrus like this

#8 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Ranger 4

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:54 PM

Although I'm generally aa TV ep kind of guy. I recently bought a pair of Meade 25mm/HD60's for my bino. I tried one of them mono in my C-8/E and was pleasantly surprised at how good they performed. Consider adding the Telrad. I have an Orion 9X50 RACI finder on mine also but that's just because I had one laying around. Same with the green orion laser, just had one laying around. But during star parties people often ask me where is it I'm looking, so I turn it on for a couple of seconds and listen to the oh's and ah's lol.gif of the green pointi thing smile.gif))

I love my new Baader 2 pc diagonal  system. But its not cheap and you may/should want to get these other things first (maybe an observing chair also) and just enjoy the night sky for awhile.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0396-2.jpg

• gfstallin likes this

#9 Zephyrus

Zephyrus

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:23 PM

Thanks all! 
What kind of chair do y'all use? 

#10 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Bay Area

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:40 PM

Thanks all! 

Why an upside down, empty 5 gallon paint bucket, but of course!

Very portable and you can carry stuff in it when Grabbing and Going.

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 19 April 2019 - 11:43 PM.

• Procyon, SeattleScott, kurbs and 1 other like this

#11 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Bay Area

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:50 PM

post-260067-0-23906600-1555713930_thumb.

MrRoberts

What did you wrap your tripod legs with and why?

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 20 April 2019 - 12:02 AM.

#12 PNW

PNW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lummi Island, WA

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:52 PM

I setup my nexstar 8 in the front yard with the tripod low. For chairs, I use the plastic lawn chair (18") for higher objects. My back told me not to stand up or bend over for objects closer to the horizon. So I bought a tall camping chair (24") with a fold out side table from Tailgaterz for $50. Those two seem to work fine for me. I tried a barstool once, but it turned out to be too high for me without armrests. 

• Zephyrus likes this

#13 wrvond

wrvond

Apollo

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:57 AM

Thanks all! 

Your choice of observing chair is pretty much dictated by the height of the eyepiece. I do not like to extend the tripod legs, which keeps the eyepiece pretty low, even when observing near the horizon. When looking near the zenith, you need a chair that will get way down low to the ground.

Because of this, an adjustable chair generally works best, and a DIY observing chair works cheapest. ;)

There are lots of how-to's online to make your own Denver chair.

I made one for about $25.00 a few years ago. I keep telling myself I'm going to make a nicer one. In fact, I did make a very nice one, but gave it to my brother!     foreheadslap.gif

So here's my current observing chair:

Chair 001

Here's the one I made for my brother before I stained it. It's quite a bit taller than the first one, but he has a rather tall dob:

IMG 1758

• gfstallin likes this

#14 gfstallin

gfstallin

Viking 1

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:49 PM

I use the Vestil CPro-800LP chair. It is great for eyepieces at various heights. 

https://industrialsa...mcaArwREALw_wcB

George

• wrvond and NMBob like this

#15 Erik30

Erik30

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Cottage Grove, MN

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:27 PM

When I started researching what eyepieces to get someone here mentioned to bring my scope to a star party if there is one in the area.  That bit of information was priceless.  I joined the club and got to know a lot of great people.  For one, most are held in a dark sky location, two, people will help you with your scope if needed, and three, I was able to use a couple great eyepieces to help find out what I wanted.    So my suggestion is the same as I received, look to see if there is a local club and if they have public star parties.  Join up, (or not) and have fun.  :) 

• wrvond likes this

#16 wrvond

wrvond

Apollo

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:07 AM

I use the Vestil CPro-800LP chair. It is great for eyepieces at various heights. 

https://industrialsa...mcaArwREALw_wcB

George

Good looking chairs at a very reasonable price!

• gfstallin likes this

#17 gfstallin

gfstallin

Viking 1

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

Good looking chairs at a very reasonable price!

It was, by far, my best purchase in amateur astronomy. There are fancier chairs, but in terms of function, weight, and the ability to disappear when I'm at the eyepiece, this is perfect for me. Of course, there could be some real back support and better ability to sit flat on ground that is full of holes and divots, but compromises must be made. It is certainly comfortable enough that I've taken it to neighborhood outings to use as a regular chair. 

Having said that, you learn pretty quickly in this hobby that, no matter how good of shape you might be, nobody enjoys mostly standing in one place for 2, 3 or 5 hours after setting up equipment. A chair has been more useful than anything else I've purchased. 

George

• wrvond likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics