•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Evolution Mount - Shift while slewing in Alt

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:14 AM

When changing directions in altitude (up or down) just before it moves it does a small shift either left or right.  

Anyone seen this?

Oh, I might mention that I've only noticed it tonight when I quickly set up but didn't do any alignment (I was checking a couple eyepieces).   Not sure if this has any bearing on this behavior.  

#2 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:16 AM

Any power changes?  Were you running on a fully charged battery?    Or if plugged in to AC power, you didn't have cord wrapped around tight on your mount?  

Were the clutches knobs tightened?  

The mention of not doing any alignment won't cause what you have described.  In fact, just to check eyepieces, you don't need power.  Just your scope and view finder, carefully loosen your clutch knobs and move your scope to wherever you need and tighten the clutch knob and observe.

Gary

#3 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:14 AM

Any power changes?  Were you running on a fully charged battery?    Or if plugged in to AC power, you didn't have cord wrapped around tight on your mount?  

Were the clutches knobs tightened?  

The mention of not doing any alignment won't cause what you have described.  In fact, just to check eyepieces, you don't need power.  Just your scope and view finder, carefully loosen your clutch knobs and move your scope to wherever you need and tighten the clutch knob and observe.

Gary

Yes, near full charge.

Clutches were tight.

True about not needing it powered up but I did want to be able to keep objects centered so that's why I needed power - to use the slew buttons.

#4 1983cowboy

1983cowboy

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:13 AM

This behavior in altitude sounds familiar to me. I noticed this my first couple of times out with the Evo 8 when I first bought it.

While moving the mount up and down at higher magnifications (motor speed was set to around 5, if I remember right..) objects seemed to jump slightly sideways before moving up or down in the field. Motion side to side (alz) on the other hand, was smooth and showed no similar movement.

Mike Swanson’s Nexstar Resource site recommends that while aligning at the start of your session, you should make sure your final movements to center the alignment stars are in the same direction as the final movements of the goto slew. In my case that’s always been up and right in the field, and it seemed to take care of the issue.

#5 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:28 AM

This behavior in altitude sounds familiar to me. I noticed this my first couple of times out with the Evo 8 when I first bought it.

While moving the mount up and down at higher magnifications (motor speed was set to around 5, if I remember right..) objects seemed to jump slightly sideways before moving up or down in the field. Motion side to side (alz) on the other hand, was smooth and showed no similar movement.

Mike Swanson’s Nexstar Resource site recommends that while aligning at the start of your session, you should make sure your final movements to center the alignment stars are in the same direction as the final movements of the goto slew. In my case that’s always been up and right in the field, and it seemed to take care of the issue.

Well, this won’t apply to me as my alignments are done via StarSense.  I’ve only noticed this the last time during which, as I said, I did not do an alignment.  When aligning via StarSense in the past this has not happened.  I’ll need to do an SS alignment soon to see if that is still the case. 

#6 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:25 AM

Yes, near full charge.

Clutches were tight.

True about not needing it powered up but I did want to be able to keep objects centered so that's why I needed power - to use the slew buttons.

cables were not wrapped around too tight? 

One thing you could easily check is your backlash.  Your starsense manual kinda touches on this, but the Evo Manual does a better job at giving you instructions.  Your Starsense does have backlash menu per the manual I downloaded.  Ref: https://s3.amazonaws...ebruary2016.pdf  Page 23 shows the menu tree. 

Gary

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics