•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGX pier extension

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gork

Gork

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:07 AM

I am in the process of having a custom 12" pier extension made for my CGX.  This will allow me to use just the 2" legs on the tripod and not the flimsy 1 1/2" legs.  It looks like we have a good design.  The machinist is aerospace certified and has done other work for me when I was restoring classic motorcycles.  If this design works like it should the 12" riser tube can be ordered in any length.  I don't have any idea at this point what the cost will be but will update within a week.  Any interest let me know.  You can get a sense of my experience in fabrication by reading my articles on the Home Page entitled "My Other Telescope is an 8.4 Meter".  Please PM me if you have any ideas. 

#2 moonrider

moonrider

Vostok 1

• Loc: Murphy, NC

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:38 PM

I am interested as I'm going to pier mount my CGX eventually.  But for the present, a pier ext. would benefit me while I still use the mount in different locations.

#3 Gork

Gork

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

Just got a call from the machinist.  The pier extension will be done day after tomorrow.  As soon as I get it I will post and send some pics.  I discussed with him the possibility of building some more and he is interested.  I'll get with you as soon as I get it.

Pat

• moonrider likes this

#4 Gork

Gork

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:02 AM

I got my pier extension today and tried it out tonight.  My telescope was the same height as before but has a much smaller footprint (less tripping at night) and is actually more solid because I don't have to use the 1.5" extension legs.  My friend that has a machine shop said he would consider making a few more if there was interest.  I have no idea what the cost would be yet because he did this one as a favor.  If interested, let me know and I will find out.

Pat

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

#5 scottmm2012

scottmm2012

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:46 AM

I can't imagine this pier extension wouldn't work for the AVX as well, as the CGX and AVX have the same tripod, correct?  I'm guessing the extension is made from aluminum?  What is it's weight and I wonder what the cost would be to ship to the East Coast?  Reducing the footprint would indeed be helpful for where I mostly view from.

#6 Gork

Gork

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:48 AM

Having done an extensive search of my own I found that there are a number of mounts out there for which nobody offers a pier extension.  Surprising since Ioptron has one, as does the Atlas EQ-G.  I told Robb (my friend) that I wouldn't be surprised if others may be interested in having one of these made for themselves.  He is figuring what one would cost and will let me know in a few days.  I met Robb when I was restoring vintage motocross motorcycles and he did some work for me.  After striking out trying to find one, I took my tripod and mount to his shop and he came up with this three-piece design.  It has a bottom plate, the tube (1/8th thick wall aluminum), and a top plate.  Of course he can make them any height.  While my mount was at his shop he noticed the leg spreaders that I had to stiffen the tripod.  I got it on CN from a guy that makes them in his garage.  Robb designed on on his CAD to be made on his CAM tool that is really good looking.  He's doing that for me too.  We got to talking about one other thing that really bugs me and that's the holster for my hand paddle.  He designed up a fixture that uses the existing plastic holster mounted to a clamp that attaches solidly to a tripod leg that won't slide around in the dark.  I am retired and have no desire to try to start a business but I'm happy to send him the business if his prices are right.  There wouldn't be enough volume to justify stocking material (I don't think), but he can get whatever he needs right here in Tucson.  His current business is making custom engine and suspension components for the top racing teams in F1 motorcycle racing including the factory teams like Yamaha and Suzuki.  Anyway, I'll find out what he would need to get to make it worthwhile to make a few pier extensions at a time and post the answer here. If it works out where he would make them I will get the specs along with the cost.

• scottmm2012 likes this

#7 stryker66

stryker66

Vostok 1

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:57 AM

I can't imagine this pier extension wouldn't work for the AVX as well, as the CGX and AVX have the same tripod, correct?  I'm guessing the extension is made from aluminum?  What is it's weight and I wonder what the cost would be to ship to the East Coast?  Reducing the footprint would indeed be helpful for where I mostly view from.

AVX tripod is not the same as in CGX, I had an AVX prior..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics