•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Q70 Eye Pieces, and similar ones.

accessories eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Nordic_man

Nordic_man

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Gotland, Sweden

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:38 AM

Greetings !

I am planning to buy a small telescope to my country house, to complement a S-W ST-80 with an AZ-3 that I have there. I also have a sturdy Photo Tripod (6 kg payload for the head/mount, and 12 kg payload for the tripod) to use for mounting.

Due to a rather limited budget (nowadays I am retired) my choice is a S-W SkyMax-127 Mak, for which I also have an Intes Micro 0.6x Telecompressor (which I think is 2" though, so maybe it cannot be used here).
Yes, I do have a lot of Astro gear at home, at my permanent, every day place, but I would rather not (for certain reasons) like to split the "kit" I have here (and transporting, back and forth, is out of the question).

Thus, my choise is the SkyMax-127 Mak, and a few Eye Pieces, and a Tele Vue 2x Barlow. Yes, a better Diagonal, and a good Amici Prism too...
And yes, a SkyMax-150 (also including a bigger mount) would (at this point) be beyond my budget, and it would have been a better choice, but I hope to be able in the future to (possibly) get a third scope to my country house.
(Maybe I can one day finalize this with an 8" SCT or Dob...)

There seems to be a possibility though that the SkyMax-127 comes with a 2" Diagonal, which it, for some reason, does not (or did not) allways do. I have started a thread in "Cats and Casses", to ask if anyone knows if there is a recent (permanent) change here to the bigger Diagonal, and what about the (true optical) Aperture that (according to some) used to be less than 127 mm.
I have read that that limited Aperture has been upgraded…

Now, my question is, does anyone know if the Orion Q70 Eye Pieces, 26-32-38 mm, are the same (Erfle ?) as the Agena SWA, and the TS-Optics TS WA, for that matter ?
All these different Eye Pieces seem very similar, not to say (almost) identical.

What do you say ?

Thank you very much !

Clear Skies to you,
Erik

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:05 AM

Now, my question is, does anyone know if the Orion Q70 Eye Pieces, 26-32-38 mm, are the same (Erfle ?) as the Agena SWA, and the TS-Optics TS WA, for that matter ?

Erik:

I believe the Orion Q-70s and the Agena 70 degree SWAs are basically identical. The TS-Optics WA appears to be the same.  When I see eyepiece series with the same AFoV and the same focal lengths, that's an indication that they are identical. 

A further verification is to actually look at the spec's for the eyepiece. 

32mm Orion Q-70  

32mm Agena Astro 70 degree

TSWA32

These three eyepieces all have the same eye relief, 24mm and the same field stop, 40.0mm.  That tells me they are the same eyepiece.  

Jon

• Conaxian likes this

#3 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:06 AM

Looks like the Agena SWA is the same. Explore Scientific has a line of Bresser brand Erfle’s also 70° but the longer focal lengths are listed different. 30mm, 35mm, 25mm 2”.

The ES 70° 20mm is the exact same eyepiece rebranded as my Meade qx70 20mm

These eyepieces are actually fairly decent in a mak with the long focal length. Fast scopes they show aberrations at the edge, but in my F/12 150mm mak, they do pretty good and I don’t see the aberrations at the edge.

Looks like the TS Optics WA series are the same.

#4 Nordic_man

Nordic_man

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:16 PM

I believe the Orion Q-70s and the Agena 70 degree SWAs are basically identical. The TS-Optics WA appears to be the same.  When I see eyepiece series with the same AFoV and the same focal lengths, that's an indication that they are identical. 

A further verification is to actually look at the spec's for the eyepiece.

Jon,

thank you very much for your reply. I always find your posts interesting and reliable. Yes, these eye pieces really seem to be identical.

I was a bit lazy myself and did not put any links in - thank you for that too.

Erik

Looks like the Agena SWA is the same. Explore Scientific has a line of Bresser brand Erfle’s also 70° but the longer focal lengths are listed different. 30mm, 35mm, 25mm 2”.

The ES 70° 20mm is the exact same eyepiece rebranded as my Meade qx70 20mm

These eyepieces are actually fairly decent in a mak with the long focal length. Fast scopes they show aberrations at the edge, but in my F/12 150mm mak, they do pretty good and I don’t see the aberrations at the edge.

Looks like the TS Optics WA series are the same.

Yes, there is a "mess" of similar products out there, and you never really know what is what. However, I am not as confused by this anymore, as I was when I restarted my astronomy activity some years ago…

Erik

Edited by Nordic_man, 19 April 2019 - 01:18 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#5 Conaxian

Conaxian

Ranger 4

• Loc: Smalltown, South western Ohio

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:27 PM

Observers of different budget levels will respond differently about a given EP. I have never even looked through a $300 eyepiece.  To me, the Q70s are perfect for the small mak.  They can be had used (in perfect condition) for about half their new price.  The 38 is huge and heavy, though. If bigger is better, it's a Cadillac.

;)

• Studly likes this

#6 Nordic_man

Nordic_man

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:52 PM

Observers of different budget levels will respond differently about a given EP. I have never even looked through a $300 eyepiece.  To me, the Q70s are perfect for the small mak.  They can be had used (in perfect condition) for about half their new price.  The 38 is huge and heavy, though. If bigger is better, it's a Cadillac.

wink.gif

Yes, I am planning to use a 38 mm Q70 with a SkyMax-127 (if I can get a 2" diagonal), but no other focal length, 32 or 26 mm.

I do have a Dual ED, 25 mm, and that will have to do...

Erik

#7 Conaxian

Conaxian

Ranger 4

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:00 PM

Yes, I am planning to use a 38 mm Q70 with a SkyMax-127 (if I can get a 2" diagonal), but no other focal length, 32 or 26 mm.

Erik

Maybe a barlow lens would expand your capabilities with those two.  A 2" barlow can be had from Agena (I got mine for $50, don't ask) for about $60.  That would add 19mm and 12.5mm mags to your arsenal.

https://agenaastro.c...arlow-lens.html

#8 Nordic_man

Nordic_man

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:09 PM

Maybe a barlow lens would expand your capabilities with those two.  A 2" barlow can be had from Agena (I got mine for $50, don't ask) for about $60.  That would add 19mm and 12.5mm mags to your arsenal.

https://agenaastro.c...arlow-lens.html

Yes sorry, I didn't tell you everything. I more thought of 32 and 26 mm Q70.

I do also have a ES 68° 20 mm, a Dual ED 8 and 5 mm, and a Tele Vue 1,25" 2x Barlow for this "kit".

Yes, and there is a 32 mm TV Plossl in there too - I forgot that...

Thank you for the link anyway.

Erik

#9 Conaxian

Conaxian

Ranger 4

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:13 PM

Heck, Erik, you're good to go-

Enjoy!

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:16 PM

Erik

Erik:

The 38 mm may vignette in a 127 mm Mak.  Even if it does have a 2 inch focuser, the rear port may not be large enough to allow a reasonable level of illumination at the edge of the field.

Jon

#11 Nordic_man

Nordic_man

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:25 PM

The 38 mm may vignette in a 127 mm Mak.  Even if it does have a 2 inch focuser, the rear port may not be large enough to allow a reasonable level of illumination at the edge of the field.

Jon,

yes, "rear port", that is the word I sought for in the other thread, in "Cats and Casses".

This is what I suspected, but do you think it would be intrusive ?

I am no optician, and I am not very good at neither the theories nor the practicalities here, but as far as I can understand, many reflectors will vignette (more or less), because the secondary mirror is too small.

There is a trade off here, it seems to me, if you want high contrast or good illumination, and that is why RC Cassegrains normally have a rather large secondary, in order to fully illuminate a wide field (image).

What do you say ?

Would the vignetting, in your opinion, be problematic ?

What size Field Stop could then be used here, you think ?

Erik

#12 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:05 PM

I think we would need more information to advise on that. When they came out with new 6” Mak models designed for 2” diagonal they generally used a 34mm baffle tube. And a 2” secondary mirror. So you can look at the specs for the 6” and see how it compares to get an idea.

Scott

#13 Nordic_man

Nordic_man

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:54 AM

I think we would need more information to advise on that. When they came out with new 6” Mak models designed for 2” diagonal they generally used a 34mm baffle tube. And a 2” secondary mirror. So you can look at the specs for the 6” and see how it compares to get an idea.

Scott

Scott,

I looked at the Sky-Watcher USA website today, https://www.skywatch...utov-reflectors, and there it says:

39 mm secondary for the 127 mm, f/12.1; 47 mm for the 150 mm, f/12; and 41 mm for the 180 mm, f/15 Mak.

What do you make out of that then ?

The baffle tube size I can not find.

I seems that the 127 and 150 mm have almost the same ratio between primary and secondary, and the 180 mm is f/15.

This does not tell ME anything about the possibility to use a 2" eye piece with the 127 mm Mak, or the usefulness of it.

How do you look at it ?

Erik

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:15 AM

What do you say ?

Would the vignetting, in your opinion, be problematic ?

What size Field Stop could then be used here, you think ?

Erik

Erik:

As Scott said, without knowing more, it is difficult to say.  And some people have a greater tolerance for vignetting than others.  I just wanted to alert you to the possibility that there could be severe vignetting.  

Jon

#15 Nordic_man

Nordic_man

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:16 AM

As Scott said, without knowing more, it is difficult to say.  And some people have a greater tolerance for vignetting than others.  I just wanted to alert you to the possibility that there could be severe vignetting.

OK, Jon, thank you for the alert.

I will have to take this into consideration, before making any further decisions…

Erik

#16 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:44 AM

The secondary on the 5” is 8mm smaller. I suspect it would struggle with the widest FOV 2” eyepieces but be okay with a 24mm 82 deg or a 30mm 70 deg. All theoretical without knowing the size of the baffle tube, which is never advertised.

Scott

#17 Conaxian

Conaxian

Ranger 4

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:19 PM

There may be vignetting with the 38, but I never even noticed it. I am not a critical observer, though. I'd buy it again if it got lost. 

#18 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:25 PM

I have the Agena SWA 70 degree in 32mm and its pretty good overall.  Priced right and gets the job done as a widefield, "sweeper" eyepiece for me. 

• Studly likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics