•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using Stellarium to show expected view with Camera directly mounted on OTA

astrophotography planetarium software
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 curlynerd

curlynerd

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:27 PM

Hi all!

I am tying to configure Stellarium properly so that I could use it to see what is the expected framing for taking shots with my T7i. OCular view looks nice, but seems to need an eyepiece, while the sensor view doesn't seem to match up, even when things seemingly entered properly.. If anyone knows the proper settings and which option to use, it would be much appreciated! I'm sure I'm being dense and missing something obvious.

Camera - T7i (unmodded)

OTA: ED 80 Explore Scientific (480x80)

Thanks in advance for any help!

CB

#2 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:41 PM

You don't need anything in the eyepiece field, just "sensor" (camera) and telescope. If you enter the specs correctly it works. However, I find Stellarium image database very limited. I use Blackwater Skies "Imaging Toolbox":

http://www.blackwate...maging-toolbox/

Joe

#3 curlynerd

curlynerd

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:51 PM

You don't need anything in the eyepiece field, just "sensor" (camera) and telescope. If you enter the specs correctly it works. However, I find Stellarium image database very limited. I use Blackwater Skies "Imaging Toolbox":

http://www.blackwate...maging-toolbox/

Joe

Hi Joe:

For Ocular View, it always puts an eyepiece in. Are you suggesting using Image Sensor Frame?

CB

• ericthemantis likes this

#4 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:01 PM

Sorry, yes, I meant Image Sensor frame. Still, I would recommend the web site I referenced.

Joe

#5 ericthemantis

ericthemantis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:17 PM

Yeah I use the Image Sensor Frame for my Canon T5i. It makes a box in the shape of the image you would get, instead of the circular ocular view. If you get the specs for the camera put in correctly, it is pretty spot on. I think it asks for pixel pitch (size), and then sensor dimensions (in pixels) I then have my telescopes listed, and I can also put in my camera lenses as "telescopes" as well, so I can plan for DSLR-only as well as prime focus imaging sessions.

https://www.digicamd..._eos-rebel-t7i/

Canon T7i

Pitch = 3.7 um

Width = 6026 px

Height = 4017 px

#6 curlynerd

curlynerd

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:20 PM

Yeah I use the Image Sensor Frame for my Canon T5i. It makes a box in the shape of the image you would get, instead of the circular ocular view. If you get the specs for the camera put in correctly, it is pretty spot on. I think it asks for pixel pitch (size), and then sensor dimensions (in pixels) I then have my telescopes listed, and I can also put in my camera lenses as "telescopes" as well, so I can plan for DSLR-only as well as prime focus imaging sessions.

https://www.digicamd..._eos-rebel-t7i/

Canon T7i

Pitch = 3.7 um

Width = 6026 px

Height = 4017 px

Thanks, I'll give that one a try and see if I can integrate it into the shooting process. Stellarium is just convenient since it will point the scope and give me some idea of what to expect. But the next clear night I will try Blackwater as it does look easy and flexible.

Thanks again,

CB

#7 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:56 PM

I've never bothered with such a useful tool.

Instead I just 'calibrated' my camera with the different focal lengths to match the "FOV" setting that Stellarium shows.....

You can adjust the custom hot-keys for zoom/wide to be specific FOV measurements.....

It's pretty easy to eye-ball the Stellarium view with the live-view or comparing with a decent exposed image,

otherwise you can get precise and match up your camera/lens image with a screen shot of different FOV's of Stellarium in Photoshop with layers and opacity adjusts, and stretch to match tools...Remember, just make sure the Stellarium frame edge shares the same objects on the sides that the camera images has on the sides of its frame.....

Take note that the width/height ratio may be different between your Stellarium display and the Camera sensor image ratio, so you may find that you just need to get the height or width correct and be aware that there may be out-of-camera frame info displayed in the Stellarium view....

For example with my FL 500mm lens on my 35mm sensor, it shows the same framing as what 2.53 degrees FOV would show in Stellarium.....>>>note pixel pitch is a defining factor....my sensor is 8.4 microns in pitch....

I've figured this out for all FL combos I use......

This way, I can pan around and quickly change between FOVs to simulate what the different optics I have will give me in framing....

It also helps to orient the camera and GEM mount with the GEM orientation of Stellarium view so things easily align in rotation...

Edited by t_image, 19 April 2019 - 05:58 PM.

#8 curlynerd

curlynerd

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for the great answer. It helped me have ideas...I'm in good shape now to visualize my targets!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics