•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AutoStar 497 43EG - No LX90 Option?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:22 PM

Gday Austin

Just to clarify, the RA slews fine with the old handset,

Ahh well, we are back to the twilight zone. :-)

Can you test your handbox on another mount ( and read out the data ?? )

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#27 austin.grant

austin.grant

Vendor - Modified DSLR Cameras

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:49 AM

Tested the controller with the appropriate settings checked, no change. Then I rolled back to the latest official firmware once more just to check, no change. Then I popped the old 1.1J controller on, just once more to be sure both axes were motorized and functional. Still no recognition of it being LX90, but functional beyond that. 

I don't have another Meade mount to test my controller on, but I will when I return this other controller on Monday. If it works on the other mount, I'll look into repairing or replacing the RA motor driver board. If this controller doesn't work properly on the other mount, I'll replace the controller. 

Either way, I'll keep you posted. I truly appreciate all the time and energy you've put into helping me troubleshoot this. 

Austin

#28 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:09 AM

Now my Autostar has also gone mad! I plugged my Autostar controller into my #2 LX90 to take the photo in my previous post and then decided to use it on that scope, so I did a motor calibration. It reported a motor unit fault which is normal when you change controller. I ran the calibration again and it again reported a fault so I did a reset. After that it seems to be in a "motor unit fault loop" ! If you switch it on it immediately does a motor calibration and reports a fault, even on my #1 LX90 on which it worked perfectly? I tested both scopes with a Audiostar and did a motor calibration : it reports no faults?! I can connect the Autostar with MyScope and StarPatch and have reloaded firmware and even reloaded 43EG with Autostar updater no improvement! If you press "Mode" to exit the "fault screen" it does the motor calibration again: you cannot get in any part of the menu. Andrew please help!      

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 21 April 2019 - 03:10 AM.

#29 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:30 AM

Gday Piet

It reported a motor unit fault which is normal when you change controller.

Possible, but not normal

"Motor Fault" during boot means it cant contact the RA card.

"Motor UNIT fault" when it tries to calibrate etc means the handbox has requested the mount to move and has got no feedback to indicate it did.

That is normally due to an encoder feedback loop problem, but if it works with the Audiostar, then that is less likely.

When it happens after the calibrate starts, do BOTH axes start moving????

If not it could be the Hbx cables

Just try swapping the cable on the faulty Hbx end for end and see what happens

( The cable is wired 1..8 then 8..1, so swapping it end for end changes the wires

that carry the signals )

#30 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:00 AM

----    ---- 497 Classic Ver :43GH date : 03/04/2007                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Run 21-Apr-2019  10:51:43                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
     1  B600 HBx Contrast                            06                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           6                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
     2  B601 Alt Ratio                               40300C33                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     +2.75074458                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
     3  B605 Az Ratio                                C0300C33                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     -2.75074458                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
     4  B609 Alt Train                               002D                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         45                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
     5  B60B Az Train                                0072                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         114                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
     6  B60D Az Motor Cal                            FF                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           255                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
     7  B60E Dec Motor Cal                           F9                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           249     

The problem is the  "255" value of the Az motor cal  and it seems have written this value in special memory and revisits it at boot. How can I do a deep reset without getting into the menu? 

PS it moves in both directions when it does a motor cal and when it displays the fault you can still move the scope in any direction and even chance speed.

After I have done a motor cal with my Audiostar it displays : Az motor cal - 180 and Dec motor cal - 156

for some reason the Autostar does not see it this way?!                                                                                                                                                               

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 21 April 2019 - 04:07 AM.

#31 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:16 AM

Gday Piet

A std calibrate should reset that data, no matter what.

If you are patched and can connect my app, you can try poking the variables,

but you shouldnt need to

ie for the Az data you would send

:EN$00B60D81# to set it to mid range

i see the DEC is very high too so send

:EN$00B60E82#

I used x81 and x82 so that when you then send

:EP$0200B60D#

It should return x8182#    which will confirm it burnt the EEProm

If so, see what then happens.

• Piet Le Roux likes this

#32 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:38 AM

Thanks for the help Andrew but  you have to be patient : how do I poke variables?

#33 austin.grant

austin.grant

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:57 AM

Oh no, Piet! Welcome to a terrible club!

Andrew, 

After a couple of reflashes with StarPatch, I ran your Sensor Tests again, and it appears that the system has started reporting differently. The Scope Model has changed from x08 to x0B, and the Motor Type is now reporting x00. See below:

autostarsnap3.JPG

What all boards are in this scope? RA motor driver, DEC motor driver and power? If the Scope Model and Motor Type are the two that consistently change, does that indicate the RA board is most likely the problem?  Also, why does GPS Detected return "No?"

Thanks,

Austin

• Piet Le Roux likes this

#34 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:01 PM

Gday Piet

hanks for the help Andrew but  you have to be patient : how do I poke variables?

A bit earlier in the thread i described how to use the terminal logging page in my app to send commands tothe scope ( a bit like hyperterminal )

You just sent the commands i gave you and see what happens.

#35 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:08 PM

Gday Austin

What all boards are in this scope? RA motor driver, DEC motor driver and power?

Correct, The RA and DEC motor cards have their own dedicated PIC controllers.

The power board is just a switchboard

If the Scope Model and Motor Type are the two that consistently change, does that indicate the RA board is most likely the problem?

If the handbox works on a different mount yes.

Again, it may be flaky memory on the handbox, but the above test will cover that one way or the other.

Also, why does GPS Detected return "No?"

On booting, all the working memory gets set to #x00, then gets populated as things go on.

The peek routine has returned #x00 for the L3ADB memory offset, and that means no GPS was detected

This could be because the handbox memory is playing up or the RA/DEC card didnt respond to say it was GPS capable,

No idea what it is unless you can actually sniff the Hbx to Scope comms with a logic analyser and decode what gets sent.

#36 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:58 AM

In the meantime I had manage to change the Az and Dec motor cal values but the moment it does a new motor cal the Az value is 255 and then we back at square one. I had a more used autostar with a faulty keypad and moved its PC board to the unused controller and now I have a Autostar again. 

#37 austin.grant

austin.grant

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:04 PM

**UPDATE**

I returned the borrowed 497 handset, and while I was there I tried out the one I had bought. It did not function properly with the ETX125 that my friend had, so I suspected the controller. Ordered one from ebay, and it arrived today. I updated it to the latest firmware, plugged it in, and IT WORKS! Now I just need to explore all the patched software options and see what I may want to enable / utilize. Any suggestions? 

Thanks everyone, especially Andrew, for all the help. I really appreciate it! 

#38 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:15 PM

Gday Austin

Sorry to hear the Hbx was flaky, but at least you finally got confirmation of what it was.

More expensive than an RA card, but a LOT simpler to implement.

As to patches, what handbox have you got, 497, 497EP or Audiostar.

That said, most patches have the main options pre defaulted

Just uncheck the top functions tied to the StarGPS lump

and the rest are up to you :-)

#39 austin.grant

austin.grant

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:30 PM

It's just a 497. 

Also, can you tell me what parts of setup / utilities I need to complete for using the LX90-8? Do I need to "train drives" or "calibrate" anything?

#40 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:08 PM

Gday Austin

Just run a calibrate motors once, then do a train drives to measure the backlash in the geartrains.

After that, its ready to go.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics