•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oregon Star Party 2019, 7/30 - 8/4

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 debula_nebula

debula_nebula

Lift Off

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:29 PM

Sure enjoying your posts! Husband and I are OSP veterans (well, only about 20 years) and it is the best trip we take all year. We will be heading up Tuesday and very excited for the good weather and all else. Many thanks for the updates and the photography post, too. Regards, Deb

#27 Solar Ken

Solar Ken

Viking 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:10 AM

Thanks for the reports Wade. I won't be attending OSP this year so your reports are the closest thing to being there. Have fun!

• BradFran likes this

#28 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Graham WA

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:22 AM

I am leaving in the morning. See you tomorrow!

#29 ctcables

ctcables

Viking 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:18 PM

I'm using Verizon pre-paid service on an old iPhone 6 from which I upgraded a few years ago, and sharing the signal as a wifi hot spot.  I also have a weBoost cellular signal booster with an antenna on the top of my motorhome.  With the booster, I have 4 bars of signal.

My normal phone service is AT&T, and I can't get a usable signal, even with the booster.  I get the pre-paid Verizon service specifically for this star party and Golden State, both of which have no AT&T service.

My voice access up here is pretty consistent, but the data is hit and miss.  When it's working, I have an LTE signal that is reasonably fast.  Occasionally, the data drops to 1x service, which doesn't work at all.  I'd say that I have internet access 80% of the time, with unusable 1x service 20% of the time.  And the drops to 1x are random.  When the data stops working, I just do something else for a while, and then resume with it's back on LTE again.

which weboost do you have? I to have AT&T and will  have a good antenna but if there is zero signal I might need to do something different. will look into prepaid Verizon prepaid.

#30 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:30 PM

The bottom of the unit has sticker that says "Model #: 460001".

I don't remember which antenna I am using.  I bought a couple of magnetic mount, non-directional antennae.  They seem to work about the same, which is to say that they work fine.  The unit I have came in a kit with a directional antenna.  That antenna is much harder to use, because it is quite sensitive to the direction of the cell tower.  The non-directional ones work better for my purpose.

Note that the antenna needs to be mounted on a ground plane, which is just a flat piece of metal under the antenna.  When I use it with my pickup truck and camper, I just use the hood of the truck as a ground plane.  For the motorhome, I bought an iron pizza sheet that is a square 16" on a side.  I carry that up to the roof of the motorhome and set it on top of the rear air conditioner (I don't want to set it on the rubber roof surface).

And finally, make sure that you read the directions for any booster that you get.  In particular, the booster's receiver antenna needs to be located a good distance away from the boosters repeater antenna.  In my case, the roof antenna is at the back of the motorhome and the repeater is at the front, about 30 feet away.

• ctcables and audioaficionado like this

#31 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:07 PM

Another update:

We had lots of people arrive over Saturday and Sunday.  I don't have a count, but it is easily between 50 and 100 people up here now.  This is more than usual for this time of the week.  I suspect that it's due to the weather.

We did have some smoke and clouds making Friday night kind of a bust, but Saturday and Sunday nights were very good.  Unfortunately, there is some smoke in the air, so it's not the best that the site can do.  But it is *far* better than anything that we saw in 2017 and 2018.

Some more of my party arrived on Saturday, so I've been observing with them.  Last night, my son and I went on about a two hour tour of planetary nebulae with the C14.  My automated imaging continues.  I ran into a strange problem on Saturday night, but was able to resolve it last night, so should be good for the rest of the week.  I've not played with the AVX/Refractor/DSLR setup for the last couple of nights, but might do some more with it tonight.  I was talking to a few of my neighbors about ideas on how to see subexposures on the camera's screen without causing too much light.  I'll think more about this tonight and try some things.

Looking forward to seeing the event in full swing.

• 3 i Guy, ctcables and BradFran like this

#32 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:29 PM

I started a thread for OSP 20 Jan 2019. No wonder few have been posting to it. Perhaps the threads should be merged. I'll have to bump next years SP threads to keep them on the first page lol.

Next years OSP will be July 21-26. Hopefully it will be mostly smoke free as this year's was.

I use USCellular and I had 1-2 bars of text and voice connectivity, but not very good data. I was camping across from the West end off the Imagers area near Rob's stump and the last portapotties.

Edited by audioaficionado, 05 August 2019 - 10:47 PM.

#33 RedshiftRob

RedshiftRob

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Mill Creek, WA

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:55 PM

I got up there on Tuesday and got in 5 full nights of observing.  One of the best OSPs in recent memory...

I have Verizon it was fading in and out, but I could always find service somewhere nearby.   Looks like I was just up the road from you a couple sites...

-Stephen

#34 Mel Bartels

Mel Bartels

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:57 AM

My 2019 OSP Oregon Star Party Telescope Walkabout report is ready

https://www.bbastrod...sp19/osp19.html

Mel Bartels

• dmdouglass, J Lowrey, Knasal and 1 other like this

#35 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:47 PM

Pretty incredible 24 inch dob on tank  tracks...

How was the heat this year?  We found that 2018 had pretty hot afternoons. I have only been to the OSP 2012, 2017 and 2018. 2012 and 2017 afternoon temps were fine.

This years GSSP we didn't bother running the air conditioning.

I hope to go to the OSP next year. This year I am doing a 11 day September astronomy and exploring trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Capital Reef and Great Basin National Park astronomy festival. I didn't have the extra vacation time for OSP this year.

#36 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

The heat wasn't too bad.  It's been much hotter in recent years.

Actually, this year was close to ideal in terms of weather.  The skies were clear.  The smoke was light.  The seeing was really good early in the week, but softened a bit towards the end of the event.  I was up at the site for 16 nights and got 12 full nights of imaging data (dusk to dawn) and one half night.  The 3 nights that I didn't get data were 1 overcast night, 1 smoky night and 1 night of test and tune.  The half night was overcast up until about 1am, and then my system picked up the target until dawn.  All of the overcast and smoky nights were in the week before the actual star party dates.

This was a good year in general for star parties.  I got 4 out of 5 nights at Logan Valley in late May, 3 out of 4 nights at GSSP, and the above at OSP.  It's going to take me a long time to get though processing all of it.  Beyond the imaging, I probably got in 30 to 40 hours of visual observing between all of the events.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics