•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ioptron mini tower pro gps rollover bug - it's 2099!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 AlHep

AlHep

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:28 AM

Hello

i have an Ioptron mini tower pro 

when the GPS goes from "ON" to "OK" it goes to 2099!

I know this is the rollover bug but can it be fixed ?

Can I turn off / disable the GPS clock so I can manually input the date? When I do it just reverts back to 2099 

Any work around / solution would be most appreciated 

al 

#2 biz

biz

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:57 AM

Hello

i have an Ioptron mini tower pro 

when the GPS goes from "ON" to "OK" it goes to 2099!

I know this is the rollover bug but can it be fixed ?

Can I turn off / disable the GPS clock so I can manually input the date? When I do it just reverts back to 2099 

Any work around / solution would be most appreciated 

al 

Hi Al.

yes you can disable the GPS on this model.

One method is to Undo the four screws that hold the side plastic side cover ( the one with the power supply connector etc etc. pull the cover out slightly and just unplug the small  connector of which the cable goes up to the GPS board and your done... This connector is in near the centre of the main control board which is screwed to the back side of this side cover. Just place the lead away from the worm and spur gear and perhaps use a cable tie to connect it somewhere that’s safe.

Another way is to remove the black plastic cover on the top of the mount , this covers the GPS board and you might be able to gently lift the board out enough to remove that end of the cable from the GPS board. 

After this the GPS will be rendered no go.. you can then enter manually .

Its interesting that this is happening to your mount as I tested it and mine was fine.

Have you tried entering the correct  date and then see what happens. Perhaps try this before you proceed with the above.

cheers

Graham

#3 AlHep

AlHep

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:47 AM

Thanks for reply

Yep Tried that - it just goes back to 2099 on exit It overrides the manual input

I will have to disable the gps if no other solution but really would prefer the GPS to work

Al

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:41 AM

Graham, Is iOptron working on a "Roll-over" fix?

#5 AstroBruce

AstroBruce

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:40 AM

Clock battery in hand controller?

Bruce

#6 biz

biz

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for reply

Yep Tried that - it just goes back to 2099 on exit It overrides the manual input

I will have to disable the gps if no other solution but really would prefer the GPS to work

Al

Al,

Can you tell me what firmware you have loaded into your mini tower pro... is it V110331W ?

This is the last and latest firmware they have done for this mount. As I mentioned before my hand controller with that firmware is working ok .

cheers Graham

#7 biz

biz

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:36 PM

Graham, Is iOptron working on a "Roll-over" fix?

Mike,

iOptron being iOptron they have always responded to issues with their mounts even though this issue has been caused by a third party so I’m quite confident they will be working on a fix.. It just takes time as they have a lot of mounts with GPS and going back some years so fingers crossed for those who have this date issue that you won’t have to wait too long..

cheers

Graham

#8 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:05 AM

Mike,

iOptron being iOptron they have always responded to issues with their mounts even though this issue has been caused by a third party so I’m quite confident they will be working on a fix.. It just takes time as they have a lot of mounts with GPS and going back some years so fingers crossed for those who have this date issue that you won’t have to wait too long..

cheers

Graham

waytogo.gif

#9 AlHep

AlHep

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:04 PM

Hi

all sorted hopefully Ioptron have been excellent with this - rapid communication

It's a fault with gps module and another is being sent to me

Al
  • philmor56, Jon_Doh and Wildetelescope like this

#10 biz

biz

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:05 PM

Hi

all sorted hopefully Ioptron have been excellent with this - rapid communication

It's a fault with gps module and another is being sent to me

Al

That’s good news for you Al.

happy viewing 

cheers

Graham

#11 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

• Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:47 AM

This issue is happening on my iEQ45 as well, and other mounts beyond iOptron so it will need to be addressed by other vendors.

There is an ongoing discussion on the iOptron Yahoo group as well, so hopefully a reasonable fix will be available for all.

I emailed iOptron Support to ask that they let me know once they know more

Timm

#12 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:45 AM

I got a reply from Kevin at iOptron support and the only option for my iEQ45 offered is to send back the main board for a GPS replacement at a cost of $50 plus S&H.  So apparently, this isn't something that can be fixed with a firmware update.

I've also asked about an upgrade to the iEQ45 Pro to see if that is still available, because I'm curious if that would be worthwhile. 

Timm

#13 gotak

gotak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:10 AM

Those GPS modules are self contained. So while it likely is possible to update firmware I don't think they support that in their designs.

As for the Pro upgrade, yes likely it'll bring improvements if done right.

#14 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:49 PM

Those GPS modules are self contained. So while it likely is possible to update firmware I don't think they support that in their designs.

As for the Pro upgrade, yes likely it'll bring improvements if done right.

iOptron replied that they are no longer offering the Pro upgrade.

#15 AlHep

AlHep

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:40 PM

New module here so I will install and give update soon

#16 AstroBruce

AstroBruce

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:59 PM

I have a Minitower with  the rollover bug. Called iOptron and ordered a replacement GPS module at half price. $40.00 plus $8.00 shipping. Installed it yesterday and it works just fine. I'm happy. Thanks iOptron.

Bruce

#17 gotak

gotak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:37 PM

iOptron replied that they are no longer offering the Pro upgrade.

Ask them if they can sell you the parts individually. However, likely going to be expensive. Or they might refuse as any parts are now likely their support stock with the ieq45 pro discountinued.

#18 AlHep

AlHep

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:49 PM

New module in - Easy install. It's now 2019 again! Working perfect!!! I am super happy with Ioptron support
  • OldManSky likes this

#19 johnsoda

johnsoda

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Ohio, USA

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:58 AM

So, tell us of 2099. Are reflector and refractor fans still fighting? Does Astro Physics still have a long waiting list? Do people still belittle “Chinese mounts” or have they moved onto belittling Martian mounts? Are people bragging about having 100-year-old Losmandy mounts?
  • Jon_Doh likes this

#20 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:18 AM

So, tell us of 2099. Are reflector and refractor fans still fighting? Does Astro Physics still have a long waiting list? Do people still belittle “Chinese mounts” or have they moved onto belittling Martian mounts? Are people bragging about having 100-year-old Losmandy mounts?

People are partying like it's 2099!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics