•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SCT reducer/correctors: Celestron 0.63 vs. Baader Alan Gee vs. Starizona SCT Corrector?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:26 AM

Any opinions on the pros and cons of the various reducer/corrector options available for SCTs?

In particular I'm wondering whether the Baader Alan Gee and/or Starizona SCT Corrector are worth the extra $$$?

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:47 AM

It depends on what you're going to be using it with (CCD/chip size).  All those above will illuminate small sensors but will Vignette larger sensors (and long F/L eyepieces).

If your OTA is threaded for the 3.25" adapters (Edge 9.25, C11, C14) then this will handle a 42mm Image Circle

I've always wanted to try the LF with a 31T5 and see if there's any Vignetting?

Just noticed the Alan Gee is only recommended for the 8" SCT however I think it's fine for F10 SCT's,

#3 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:38 AM

It depends on what you're going to be using it with (CCD/chip size).  All those above will illuminate small sensors but will Vignette larger sensors (and long F/L eyepieces).

If your OTA is threaded for the 3.25" adapters (Edge 9.25, C11, C14) then this will handle a 42mm Image Circle

I've always wanted to try the LF with a 31T5 and see if there's any Vignetting?

Just noticed the Alan Gee is only recommended for the 8" SCT however I think it's fine for F10 SCT's,

Thanks Mike.

I did also see the large format Starizona, but personally I'm looking for something that I can place after a R&P/Crayford style focuser ... so I've pretty much accepted this will mean using a sensor that's less than full size.

On Baader's web site the specs do state '8" Schmidt-Cassegrains' but reading the instruction manual they state 'fits into 8" and larger Schmidt-Cassegrain' and list applications for larger OTAs.

However, whereas some vendor web sites state the Alan Gee has a 'usable illuminated field diameter of 32 mm', Baader's manual states it has a '15mm optimal imaging circle'. That is indeed on the small side.

The Starizona SCT Corrector II, on the other hand, claims a 'nominal image circle of 27mm' ... which might be the safer bet with my ASI294 (4/3 format). Assuming that 27mm has no/minimal vignetting ...

Edited by DMach, 20 April 2019 - 08:39 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics