•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

When the moon is full....don't let it spoil your fun...go globular.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:17 PM

I never let the full moon spoil my fun. The sky was a bit hazy in places and the seeing not as good when I imaged M5.

I had a go at M3 and took over 300 15 second subs in each channel unguided. So the combined image below is just over 1000 subs with about 200 being rejected.

Celestron C14 with reducer at F7,7. Baader LRGB 50x50 mm filters and Moravian G3 16200 at 2x2 bin.

Some of the stars are not as round as I would have liked or as tight. I think focus may have drifted a bit but I like the image as at least the night was not wasted because of the moon.

As always let me know what you think & clear skies to you all.

M3_LRGB.jpg

• elmiko, deepwoods1, Ken Sturrock and 6 others like this

#2 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:42 PM

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Pyrasanth,

You beat me to it!  Narrowband objects are a bit scarce this time of year so I've been working on some globulars during this full moon cycle and I was going to suggest the exact same thing.  Well done.

John

• pyrasanth likes this

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:48 PM

Hi John,

Thanks!

Globulars are nice objects to image. I use lots of very short subs unguided so I don't burn out the core of the cluster. Have a look at the M3 image that I grabbed earlier as well. The seeing was a bit better although not very transparent . https://www.cloudyni...ight-of-seeing/

• elmiko likes this

#4 kathyastro

kathyastro

Viking 1

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:59 PM

The focus is a bit soft, but you have detail way in to the centre.  Nicely done!

#5 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:03 PM

The focus is a bit soft, but you have detail way in to the centre.  Nicely done!

I agree with the focus being soft- it was sort of hazy last night and focus was difficult. I could have applied a bit more care but with the moon full I was not as worried with getting a pristine image as a lot of the fainter stars sadly were lost in the moon glow.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#6 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:40 PM

Nice job Pyrasanth. So you processed 800 subs? Does that take a long time to preprocess? And do you save all of your raw files? And if you do, do you store them on a external hard drive? Just curious, sorry for all the questions but I ran out of space on my C drive the other day. Ended up getting a 2 tb external hard drive to move them off of my processing computer.

Thanks Mike

#7 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:09 PM

Nice job Pyrasanth. So you processed 800 subs? Does that take a long time to preprocess? And do you save all of your raw files? And if you do, do you store them on a external hard drive? Just curious, sorry for all the questions but I ran out of space on my C drive the other day. Ended up getting a 2 tb external hard drive to move them off of my processing computer.

Thanks Mike

The image was about 1000 subs- 250 in each of the 4 channels. I'm shooting the data again as I write this as the image was a bit soft.

I ran the sub frame selector through the stack of images which took 2 hours to calculate the best FWHM. Then there is the cosmetic correction, calibration and registration. I would guess it took about 5 hours to get the data ready for integration. The full set took about 56 GB of data by the time I had finished. I have a raid 5 NAS box for data storage with terabytes of space so that is not an issue. The hardest part is keeping the data safe as it is somewhat irreplaceable hence the raid 5 NAS.

Edited by pyrasanth, 20 April 2019 - 05:10 PM.

#8 eekeek77

eekeek77

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:45 PM

I hear the Buck Rogers theme when I look at this.... Just me? :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics