•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Please help the frustration is real!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 J.ragan

J.ragan

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

So I have the skywatcher 10” goto dobsonian. I recently purchased the synscan WiFi adapter and have no issues with it connecting. I’m able to control the mount with my phone just fine. My issues begin with getting it to align. I select the bright star alignment process and I select Polaris as my first star and choose Arcturus as the second star. I get Polaris centered in the eyepiece and tap the dome button. The telescope moves to what it thinks is Arcturus but it is way off by like 30° or so. I’ve checked to ensure my position was correct and the lat and long is pretty much dead on. I’ve also added a spirit level to the base so it is level. I should add that when I do the alignment with the hand controller it does align pretty much spot on. The little that it is off I can chalk up to me not getting the star perfectly center in eyepiece. Does anyone have any ideas on what I am missing here? Should I choose different alignment stars? I’m pretty much at a loss not sure how to go forward.

#2 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:55 PM

Polaris is generally not a good alignment star.  Try using Arcturus as the 1st star and Castor as your 2nd star.  In the Best Pair II program, that's the pair that comes out first right now on the list for 40 degrees north at 10pm.  smile.gif

Edited by Chuckwagon, 20 April 2019 - 12:55 PM.

#3 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:56 PM

I've always thought that Polaris was a very bad choice for an alignment star, no matter what system you use. That's because a tiny movement of the scope is a huge movement in RA. So, unless you were able to achieve incredibly perfect alignment I would bet that you do not want to align on stars that high in declination. 

Rgrds-Ross

#4 J.ragan

J.ragan

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

Any recxomendations on what stars to use?

#5 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Sputnik

Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:18 PM

Being restricted to a southern facing backyard, my typical go-to stars are (1st) Sirius then Capella.  When the scope slews to Capella, it tends to be off a lot.  But, I move the scope with the phone to center Capella, and it takes.  The rest of time, slewing to other stars is off only slightly.  It would, however, be nice to know which are the best stars to align on.

#6 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:45 PM

Try Regulus, then Capella.

#7 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:33 PM

Any recxomendations on what stars to use?

The program AstroPlanner has functionality to help you choose alignment stars.  I think it will run unregistered, free that is, though I don't know for how long. I haven't looked at it in quite a while, but you should be able to get an idea of what stars to use.

#8 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:32 PM

Polaris is generally not a good alignment star.  Try using Arcturus as the 1st star and Castor as your 2nd star.  In the Best Pair II program, that's the pair that comes out first right now on the list for 40 degrees north at 10pm.  smile.gif

I do not think anyone uses polaris as an alignment star. But some might not know that if is somehow is in the hand control alignment selection. It might be in the selection in case the choice of stars are poor (conditions). 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics