•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Trifid Nebula - unexpected

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Stricnine

Stricnine

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: DFW Area, TX

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:55 PM

I hadn't planned to image the Trifid Nebula, I was out to get an image of the Moon and Jupiter. The seeing was rather good so I made the decision to move out of the city (Bortle 8-9) and out to my "dark site" (Bortle 4-5) 45 minutes away to get better images of Jupiter and try for Saturn.

While the Saturn videos were recording I was looking through sky objects on my phone and spotted the Trifid nebula.  I hadn't imaged it yet. It was lower in the sky than I'd prefer and near the Dallas/Ft. Worth light pollution. And there was the Moon, near 100% full and bright as ever.  I decided to give it a try, if only for practice/fun of it. Not long after starting the imaging there was fog appearing in fields nearby, and rapidly increasing and encroaching on my location. When some condensation began forming on the corrector plate I called an end to the session.

I wasn't expecting to get a usable image out of eight 60 sec subs, but I was surprised to find it cleaned up fairly well (by my standards).

Trifid Nebula

Trifid Nebula on Astrobin

• Starman27, jambroseus, delgado39 and 23 others like this

#2 Neptune

Neptune

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:09 PM

I love it.  Reminds me of the old school images on film that was exposed for hours.  M20 was always one of my favorites.
David

#3 Gipht

Gipht

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

What beautiful colors!  Makes me want to get up earlier.

#4 44maurer

44maurer

Messenger

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:12 AM

Amazing what you got out of 8 mins. Definitely worth the trip. Did you get any pix of Saturn?

#5 Stricnine

Stricnine

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

I love it.  Reminds me of the old school images on film that was exposed for hours.  M20 was always one of my favorites.
David

Thanks, I think M20 has become one of mine as well.

What beautiful colors!  Makes me want to get up earlier.

Thanks.  Yeah, it's tough getting up early to get this one right now and imaging galaxies around the Big Dipper (Plow) earlier in the night.  It's catching up with me right about now.

#6 Stricnine

Stricnine

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

Amazing what you got out of 8 mins. Definitely worth the trip. Did you get any pix of Saturn?

Unfortunately there's nothing all that great about the Saturn images as I was using my Canon 80D and no barlow, certainly not as good as a dedicated planetary camera and barlow combo.

Here it is any way:

Saturn 2019-04-20

And Jupiter:

Jupiter 2019-04-20

• mikewayne3, elmiko and GraySkies like this

#7 44maurer

44maurer

Messenger

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:01 PM

Still good, but yes a planetary camera makes such a big difference. Thanks for sharing.

#8 GraySkies

GraySkies

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:07 AM

Unfortunately there's nothing all that great about the Saturn images as I was using my Canon 80D and no barlow, certainly not as good as a dedicated planetary camera and barlow combo.

Here it is any way:

And Jupiter:

Far better images than I have of either planet, it is something on my todo list, although my planetary imaging camera will likely be my iPhone...

#9 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:28 PM

I like your Trifid Stricnine! Great details, and only  8 minutes! Unreal! You must have taken this from a dark site?

Mike

#10 Stricnine

Stricnine

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:42 PM

I like your Trifid Stricnine! Great details, and only  8 minutes! Unreal! You must have taken this from a dark site?

Mike

Yes, I had driven to a Bortle 4-5 location, but was imaging towards the Bortle 8-9 skies of Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX and with a full Moon.  There was light pollution to deal with, not as bad as being in the city, and plenty of Moon light to deal with.

• elmiko likes this

#11 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:31 PM

What a difference a dark sky makes. Last night I imaged M104 from a Bortle 4 zone. I got 2 hours of data. And the 5 minute subs look so good compared to the subs I take at my red zone back yard.

Nice image again. Mike

• Stricnine likes this

#12 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:32 PM

Your Saturn and Jupiter images are awesome! Good job.

Mike

#13 Stricnine

Stricnine

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:21 PM

What a difference a dark sky makes. Last night I imaged M104 from a Bortle 4 zone. I got 2 hours of data. And the 5 minute subs look so good compared to the subs I take at my red zone back yard.

Nice image again. Mike

It does make a difference (for me), and I don't image DSO's dimmer than, say M42, in the city as a result.

Edited by Stricnine, 26 April 2019 - 04:21 PM.

• elmiko likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics