•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade super giant field tripod end fitting removal.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cychomartin

Cychomartin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Jervis Bay NSW Australia

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:01 PM

I have two meade super giant field tripods. I have a taller one under a 12 inch lx200, and a shorter one under a14 inch lx200.

I want to shorten the legs on the taller tripod and was wondering if anybody has any experience in removing the end pieces from the tripod tubular legs. They may be an interference fit and press off or are they glued welded or what..

Does anybody know before I pull it apart? 

#2 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

• Loc: Stuck in a Time Warp.

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:43 PM

I heat mine with a torch and beat them off with a block of wood. They are glued on.
  • Cychomartin likes this

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:23 PM

Meade's giant field tripod was offered with the 12" LX200 and, later, in a shorter version for the 14" LX200. I'm not aware that there were two versions of the super giant field tripod, which was offered only with the 16" models (and which was MUCH beefier). What you have may be the GFT rather than the SGFT. The GFT weighs about 50 pounds. The SGFT may be twice that.

#4 Cychomartin

Cychomartin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Jervis Bay NSW Australia

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:11 AM

Thank you spoonsize, that was the type of information I was after. 

Regards, 

Martin.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics