•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi Temma ASCOM driver - no longer wakes in "parked" mode

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 johngwheeler

johngwheeler

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia: 33° 49' S / 151° 6' E

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:08 PM

I have a question for any Takahashi mount owners who use the CCDAstro Temma 2 ASCOM driver.

Until very recently, when I connected to the mount via Sequence Generator Pro, PHD2 or other application, the Temma driver window opened and showed the mount in Parked mode (which I apply at the end of every session before powering off). Tracking showed as inactive and the mount didn't move until I un-parked.

What I now find is that even though the Temma driver shows the same status (parked, not tracking), that the mount is in fact still tracking, which affects any previous sync position (I think) and is obviously dangerous if left unattended.

Has anyone seen this before?

What is your normal start up routine with the mount? Maybe I'm doing something wrong! One thing I do know is that I have to connect to the mount via ASCOM very quickly after turning on the mount motor, because the mount will start tracking by default (as you would expect).

As an aside, I'm also curious if any of you ever have the problem of either losing its previous sync on waking (even with the "keep last sync" option enabled), or losing track of its orientation and slewing in the wrong direction. I always park counter-weight down pointed at the pole, but sometimes after waking, the mount slews in the wrong direction. I now find I need to do a "safety slew" to a position a few degrees away from the pole to check that the mount has actually got it right. Again, the consequences of the mount going in the wrong direction can be dire if not attended; I've saved the scope & camera from collisions on a couple of occasions.                

I'm trying to automate my imaging (not remote), but the above issues make a bit anxious because the mount behaviour does not appear to be 100% consistent.

I should probably re-install the driver I know, but I thought I share my experience and learn from yours!

Thanks,

John                                      

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics