•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need advice on two different scope setups.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 netboy

netboy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:11 PM

So I am looking at two different scopes. First is a Stellarvue SVX102T and the other is a Skywatcher Espirit 120. Both are about the same price. But here is my issue. It will be used for about 90% imaging.  I have a 12" dob I use for visual.

I really like the Svx but due to my imaging train (camera, fw + OAG) my backfocus is about 57mm 2mm more than the 55mm needed to use the SV FF/FR.  I really like this scope because it is extremely light and versatile with the use of a FR.  I want to use this scope in the field on an Ioptron cem40.  My only option would be to use a guidescope which I am not fond of due to back experiences in the past.

The Espirit 120 seems like a great scope also just heavy.  I worry about not taking it out because it is so heavy.  Also the Riccardi Reducer is 2x the cost of the Stellarvue reducer. But it has a more generous backfocus and I can keep my OAG.

Weight at home is no issue as I have an EQ8 on a concrete pier.

What would you guys do?

#2 bridgman

bridgman

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:19 PM

IIRC some of the SV FF/FR's can be configured to give you a lot more backfocus... ie they are actually made up of a short front section and a long spacer to give 55mm backfocus. Will poke around the site a bit and see if I can find an example (particularly for the SVX102T).

EDIT - looks like there are two different options - the SFF4 flattener and the SFFR.74 flattener/reducer - which were you thinking about ?

Also looks like the Esprit 100 and 120 both include the flattener.

Edited by bridgman, 20 April 2019 - 05:27 PM.

• PatrickVt likes this

#3 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:03 PM

I have the SVX80 with the dedicated field flattener and it does have a removable section so that you can use cameras that require more space than the 55mm. You would just need to have an adapter made. 

#4 scadvice

scadvice

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:27 PM

My Stellarvue 130 SVA (The SVA is last years verson to the SVX) and it also has a section that unscrews (A 3 inch Feather-Touch) Their focuser is the same configuration. 

I like the Stellarvue very much. I also live only an hour from them...

Give them a call they are very responsive. 

Edited by scadvice, 20 April 2019 - 06:29 PM.

#5 Luna-tic

Luna-tic

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Foothills North Carolina

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:03 PM

What if you took the OAG out of the train and went to a separate guide scope?  That ought to buy you a few mm for the imaging camera.

#6 netboy

netboy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:30 PM

What if you took the OAG out of the train and went to a separate guide scope?  That ought to buy you a few mm for the imaging camera.

This is what I want to avoid because I have had bad experiences with a separate guidescope.  When I switched to OAG all my issues went away.  I am going to contact SV after the holiday and see what they have to say.

#7 StarThoughts

StarThoughts

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Great Lakes region

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:55 AM

I recommend calling Stellarvue, as others have mentioned. They can probably either fit the FF/FR with an adapter that would work or custom make one for you. They customized an adapter for me recently. It was a great customer service experience.

Edited by StarThoughts, 30 April 2019 - 09:55 AM.

#8 AntMan1

AntMan1

Viking 1

• Loc: NY

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:27 PM

If you want round stars stay away from Stellarvues chinese focuser as it sags with 3 pounds on it. On top of that there reducers are just as bad.

#9 Jarno

Jarno

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 01 May 2019 - 11:22 AM

How about using the TS 0.79x reducer? It's both cheaper than the Riccardi and requires much less backfocus. I have one arriving for my TS 130mm f/7 tomorrow so of course the weather forecast for this weekend is absolutely horrible. I already have the TS flattener and that's doing a very good job.

Jarno

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics