•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

XT10i under full moon from white zone light pollution, galaxies to dbl *'s

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:28 PM

After the front passed, last night was clear and very pleasantly cool by 10:30pm when I got out for a look. I put 20, 10, 4.7 & 3.7mm ultra widefield ep's in the pockets of the hooded observing vest and took along an object list I'd made a few days ago. Most observations were 137x, 1.9mm exit pupil and 44 arc' field.

M46/7 - OC, Puppis   M47 shows better from town with its brighter *'s and coarser structure. M46 also well seen but no NGC2438 PN.

M48 - OC, Hydra  Very nice, large with bright stars, concentrated line of *'s thru center

M35 - OC, Gemini  Seen but too low really, poor view. (NGC2158, no chance as low as it was)

M67 - OC, Cancer  Very nice, some fainter stars barely seen (zenith observing) despite moon & location, V pretty cluster

NGC2392 - Eskimo PN, Gemini  A bit low but a fine view with bright CS and inner/outer rings easily seen. Fantastic object.

Izar (Epsilon Bootes) - Dbl *, Bootes  excellent! unequal mag, close, white/turquoise

Castor (Alph Gem) - Dbl *, Gemini  headlights, V brt, wide, slightly unequal mag, both white

Cor Caroli (Alph CVn) - Dbl *, Canes Venatici  V brt, wide, even mag, white, prominent headlights, followed in field by wider fainter optical pair 15 CVn/17 CVn

Algieba (Gam Leo) - Dbl *, Leo  ez split @ 137x, fine color: orange/blu-ish, very pretty

Porrima (Gam Vir) - Dbl *, Virgo  nice closer pair, twin *'s, wht/wht, clean close split @ 137x, much wider split @ 371x

M94 - Gx, CVn  AT zenith, easily seen, brt, V brt core, V brt nucleus, halo seen faintly but sure (Seyfert galaxy)

M105/NGC3384 - Gx pair, Leo  easily apparent, brt, close, N3384 ~elong, very surprising (moon starting to interfere)

M65/66 - Gx pair, Leo  only very faint puffs seen at all

M87 - Gx, Virgo  "very faint smudge" is the note, barely seen, NONE of Markarian's chain seen

NGC4631 - Whale Gx, Cvn  not seen, but strongly suspected

The Full Moon - still an amazing thing to look over, 69x and 371x, finished my observing eye and the night

The session was a lot of fun under the worst LP & full moon. The galaxies were quite surprising given the conditions. I always forget how bright M94 is, really valuable right now at and near zenith for urban galaxy hunters. I probably could've seen a bit more detail or a few more objects but tonight wasn't about working those matters very carefully; just the fun.

I really enjoy observing with the old XT10i. They're nice scopes. I think mine is LONG overdue for a dark site trip as it's been 4-5 years only used for outreach and driveway sessions.

Edited by havasman, 20 April 2019 - 05:47 PM.

• Astrojensen, precaud, airbleeder and 7 others like this

#2 Tyson M

Tyson M

Gemini

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:47 PM

Excellent report! I am getting good seeing tonight and will try some of these out in my 250 mewlon. Some are too low for me though @ 53 degrees north.

I had a look last night in poor conditions (1/5 to 2/5 seeing).  I could not see M66.  M67 was great at dusk, little pinpoints everywhere seemed faint with the 32 masuyama.

Cor Caroli was beautiful, white primary / green-whitish secondary. Algieba stood up to magnification well, brilliant yellow pair even with a 17.3 Delos. Nice gap between them.

M105, Porrima, M87, M66 and M67 and Izar are all targets I will try tonight despite the moon.  Perhaps a few more doubles in Bootes as well.

Then of course I will give the moon close scrutiny as well. 

• havasman likes this

#3 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:58 PM

Sounds like a very good night for the moon being so bright.,I am glad to hear of your satifaction with your xti 10 because I just got one.,It needed some soap on the pads but is in new condition otherwise. I haven't gotten to try the push to.,the hand set lights up and asks me to pick a star,so I think it will be alright.,the seller said it is all good.,

I picked up a dolly to scoot it around and it works good.,We have rain in the forecast for the whole next week.,go figure.,

Did you use the push to for locating your targets?

Edited by clearwaterdave, 20 April 2019 - 06:03 PM.

#4 pgs/sdg

pgs/sdg

Ranger 4

• Loc: 36°N, 92°W Ozark Mountains on the White River

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:53 PM

That is a great report.

Very encouraging too! 

(I'm saving for a Dob)

#5 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:27 PM

Sounds like a very good night for the moon being so bright.,I am glad to hear of your satifaction with your xti 10 because I just got one.,It needed some soap on the pads but is in new condition otherwise. I haven't gotten to try the push to.,the hand set lights up and asks me to pick a star,so I think it will be alright.,the seller said it is all good.,

I picked up a dolly to scoot it around and it works good.,We have rain in the forecast for the whole next week.,go figure.,

Did you use the push to for locating your targets?

My intelliscope system is replaced with Nexus DSC and I use it all the time. Works great. I always used the intelliscope and it worked too. When you're here in the light dome it's difficult to star hop sometimes but alignment stars can be found.

I think this scope is the fastest I have for finding a difficult object. It's definitely faster than the driven 16" and I think it's faster than the Nexus DSC/UniStar Deluxe carrying the refractor. Push-to works great. I expect you're going to enjoy that scope.

• clearwaterdave and jcj380 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics