•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Video Astronomy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:19 AM

Say I wanted to try some video astronomy for live feed to desktop (55" TV as a monitor), if I were to attach a new Mallincam to the scope and both to the desktop (32gb Ram) 25 feet away, would that work out well or am I missing something. 

#2 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:31 AM

I think the simple answer is "no" but the better answer might be "maybe".

We'd likely need to know which Mallincam camera is in question and how you plan to do the attaching is rather important.

If you are talking an analog CCD camera, well, you are going to need a video capture device in the attachment to the computer and since the analog CCD camera is pretty certainly going to be standard/low definition it is going to look pretty bad if you are viewing that 55" TV/monitor from up close.  If you are viewing the 55" TV from 25 feet away it probably will look OK.

If you are talking about using the Mallincam IMX294 camera?  Because of the distance from the camera to the computer you are going to have to consider using something like an active USB cable.  I suspect this will work wonderfully!

• Procyon and SeattleScott like this

#3 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:37 AM

Hi there, pretty much the latest color mallincam, something like the DS287c Camera or if you want to recommend me one, thanks.

Edited by Procyon, 21 April 2019 - 09:38 AM.

#4 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:05 AM

Hi there, pretty much the latest color mallincam, something like the DS287c Camera or if you want to recommend me one, thanks.

Isn't the DS287C a low 720 x 540 resolution? I would think that this was meant for a guide camera and would not look very good on your 55".

Steve

#5 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:59 AM

Would this one be better?

https://www.mallinca...ider-ds10c.html

#6 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:11 PM

Would this one be better?

https://www.mallinca...ider-ds10c.html

That's the IMX294 camera.  They also make a cooled version which I might consider because if you ever choose to do CAP (Conventional AP) the cooling will be beneficial.

Note that QHY, ZWO, RisingCam and others also sell IMX294 cameras.  Nothing wrong with any of them but I'd tend to prefer the QHY or ZWO versions because they've used some trickery to make the active portion of the sensor larger so you get a bit more FOV.  But the FOV change is not huge so the other sources are fine as well.

Make the proper connection and you should get a very nice view on the 55" TV/monitor.  Maybe.

A big-screen TV (especially if it is 4K) is not a forgiving display. . .  So if you have aberrations or are under-sampling rather substantially you may find the view to be a bit less than optimal if you are viewing from up close.  From a further distance your ability to see aberrations and under-sampling will be diminished.

So it sort of depends on what you are planning to do and how you plan to do it - as well as how you plan to do your viewing.  But in theory it could work very well.

Now, if you plan to do your OAP with that beautiful 11" SCT, you will likely find that you will not be under-sampled at all but you may be seeing some "coma" and vignetting.  If you find the aberration to be significant and bothersome, you'll be able to avoid some of that aberration if you define a smaller ROI (Region of Interest) but that will also decrease your FOV and may (depending on the specifications of the TV/Monitor) result in a less pleasing view.

There are quite a few factors that go into all this, but it should at least work, and it could prove to be wonderfully pleasing!

• Procyon likes this

#7 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:19 AM

FWIW,

it is easy to send even up to a 4K HDMI video signal over 100meters with cat 6 cables and HDBaseT Extenders.....

So in discussion of lesser tech, there are many ways to accomplish!

Sorry for the passing of your observing buddy.

• Procyon likes this

#8 Rickster

Rickster

Viking 1

• Loc: NC Kansas Bortle 3 SQM 21.8+

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:48 AM

Noah4x4 has done a lot of "R&D" in this area.  https://www.cloudyni...4k#entry9275703

#9 Matt Harmston

Matt Harmston

Vanguard

• Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:26 AM

At 25 feet, a powered USB cable would fit the bill. I have friends who successfully use the DS10cTEC and a 50 foot active cable.  I only use the 15 foot cable with my DS287c and DS10c, so cannot speak to the longer cable from personal experience. That said, if your goal is to put the image on a 55" screen and budget permits, OleCuss is spot on...it will be rather unforgiving of image graininess, noise, etc. Thus, I'd consider the DS10c (TEC or not, your choice...I'd prefer the TEC, but bought my DS10c before the TEC was available) over the DS287c. For me, the DS287c and DS10c each serve a distinct purpose. But, the DS10c will give less grain/noise/amp glow over the 287c and, with judicious use of slider and conversion gain, will give you a really hot camera with some sweet images.  Further, the 3x+ wider native field of view, coupled with ability to use digital zoom, means the DS10c (cooled and TEC) can be quite versatile for small and extended objects alike.  

Good luck in your search.  Just remember...there is no such thing as too many cameras  grin.gif   

• will w and OleCuss like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics