•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IEQ45 Meridian flip question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:08 PM

Hello, 

I am configuring SGP, plate solving tool, and one of the settings in meridian flip asks how many minutes to wait after object reaching to meridian to flip ( every 4 minutes being 1  degree of course).  I just wasn't sure the best the of minutes and how many minutes can this mount go before needing to flip.

Anyone know?

Thank you!

#2 gotak

gotak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:13 PM

Tell SGP to flip at Meridian and tell the mount in HC settings to go 1 degree past. Otherwise SGP will get confused.
  • Ballyhoo likes this

#3 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:24 PM

I don't disagree with gotak as I'm not an SGP user. At the same time, with all my software I mostly set both limit and flip angle to "zero" and that seems to work as long as my time base is accurate.

However, make sure that the scope can actually safely reach the meridian at all declinations before doing anything. I know that with my pier I can't get my long refractor all the way to the zenith before it hits my pier plate. So, I need to pause at that point and flip it once the target has passed the meridian. Next time I'll buy a smaller pier plate.

Rgrds-Ross

#4 gotak

gotak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:46 PM

The problem is the comms between ioptron and SGP.

The key is to ask the mount to wait so SGP can be the initiator of the flip. Otherwise you have a race condition and SGP can get confused if it tries to issue the command just as the mount itself starts flipping independently.

#5 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:59 PM

Great I have a completely differnet question maybe you can answer or I need to create a different thread. 

Attached Thumbnails

• PS @ SGP.gif

Edited by Ballyhoo, 21 April 2019 - 01:25 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics