•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RASA 8

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JoeyP

JoeyP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pike, NY

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:47 AM

Does anyone have any idea when the Celestron RASA 8 will be back in stock? I’ve been considering the11inch but I’m not sure if my old beat up body could even get that 43lb scope on the mount without help.

#2 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: southern Ontario

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:33 PM

Does anyone have any idea when the Celestron RASA 8 will be back in stock? I’ve been considering the11inch but I’m not sure if my old beat up body could even get that 43lb scope on the mount without help.

I tried ordering 8” rasa  last week from local store and was told Celestron was out of stock. No Eta was given by Celestron when more would be available.  

#3 JoeyP

JoeyP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:06 AM

I tried ordering 8” rasa  last week from local store and was told Celestron was out of stock. No Eta was given by Celestron when more would be available.  

Thanks for the reply Tim. Yeah, I’ve been digging around a bit more, it seems as though these are sold out. One store told me 5-6weeks but another said it’s gonna be awhile, maybe early December.undecided.gif  Although I’m considering the 11” with CGX, I just worry it’s gonna be to darn heavy for me. 

#4 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: southern Ontario

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:36 AM

11” is a lot to consider and if the mount will handle it. I have been thinking about the 9.25 instead with Fastar option but not completely sure of how it compares to the 8” rasa as far as ease of use and image quality. Having two other focal length options is nice however.

#5 JoeyP

JoeyP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:24 AM

From what I’ve seen, the CGX does very well with the 11” RASA. I have an 8” edge HD, I’ve been thinking of getting the HyperStar for it. My thinking is along these lines, 8” RASA with CGX = $3699.00, CGX mount along with purchasing HyperStar/ filter drawer for the 8”Edge will cost something around $3500. I’m going to get the CGX mount regardless. I just wanna do this once, I’ve fallen into the rabbit hole too many times, buying crap I don’t need, thinking I know what I’m doing when clearly I do not! crazy.gif

#6 JoeyP

JoeyP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:30 AM

From what I’ve seen, the CGX does very well with the 11” RASA. I have an 8” edge HD, I’ve been thinking of getting the HyperStar for it. My thinking is along these lines, 8” RASA with CGX = $3699.00, CGX mount along with purchasing HyperStar/ filter drawer for the 8”Edge will cost something around $3500. I’m going to get the CGX mount regardless. I just wanna do this once, I’ve fallen into the rabbit hole too many times, buying crap I don’t need, thinking I know what I’m doing when clearly I do not! 

• Tim likes this

#7 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:28 PM

The current ETA (two sources) is late May.

• Tim and JoeyP like this

#8 JoeyP

JoeyP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:50 PM

The current ETA (two sources) is late May.

Thanks! I think I wait a month

#9 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:49 PM

Thanks for the reply Tim. Yeah, I’ve been digging around a bit more, it seems as though these are sold out. One store told me 5-6weeks but another said it’s gonna be awhile, maybe early December.undecided.gif  Although I’m considering the 11” with CGX, I just worry it’s gonna be to darn heavy for me. 

The 11 isn’t that bad. I’m an old fart and can lug mine around.

#10 JoeyP

JoeyP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:27 PM

Hey Phil!

I see we’re in close proximity, I’m about 20 miles east of Arcade NY. At any rate, I am even considering the 11” rasa even more. I’m not sure I want a scope that is a wide as the rasa 8. What mount are you using with your 11?

#11 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:23 PM

That's going to depend, of course.  The 11 is 43 pounds, the 8 is 17 (!).

I carry my 27 pound CEM60 around in a garden cart.  Maybe I don't _have_ to, but it avoids a perilous trip.  <smile>  Putting it on the portable pier is not horrible, but it's not trivial. 

This is why I've never been interested in the 11.  For me to put an 11 on the CEM60 would be quite some trick.

Edited by bobzeq25, 24 April 2019 - 03:25 PM.

#12 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:24 PM

Hey Phil!

I see we’re in close proximity, I’m about 20 miles east of Arcade NY. At any rate, I am even considering the 11” rasa even more. I’m not sure I want a scope that is a wide as the rasa 8. What mount are you using with your 11?

I have a bunch it depends on what’s being used at the time. Most time an AP Mach1GTO, CEM60EC works nice with it.

Will be teaching a class in Rochester in June. Can load it in the car if you want to check out the weight of the scope.

Will be driving from Johnson City NY.

#13 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:25 PM

I carry my 27 pound CEM60 around in a garden cart.  Maybe I don't _have_ to, but it avoids a perilous trip.  <smile>  Putting it on the portable pier is not horrible, but it's not trivial. 

This is why I've never been interested in the 11.  For me to put an 11 on the CEM60 would be quite some trick.

You can put the 11 on the CEM60. Wind is the problem if it picks up.

#14 JoeyP

JoeyP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:09 AM

The weight is a huge concern for me. I will be able to keep the whole rig set up in the garage and roll it out in the driveway, using those tri-wheel dollies for moving furniture. The whole rig (CGX) with counter weight is well over 100lbs. I’ll have to lift one tripod leg at a time then kick the dolly out from underneath the rig, trying to gently set it down without dumping a very expensive scope on the pavementbawling.gif If this were 10yrs ago I would already have this puppy up and running. I know there are worse problems to solve in the world... but ahh, if it were only 10yrs agowink.gif  The CEM60 is surly lighter, I just need to stick to the devils I know (Celestron). I could just put a dome in the driveway and make everyone drive around itlol.gif

• Phil Cowell likes this

#15 JoeyP

JoeyP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:19 AM

I have a bunch it depends on what’s being used at the time. Most time an AP Mach1GTO, CEM60EC works nice with it.

Will be teaching a class in Rochester in June. Can load it in the car if you want to check out the weight of the scope.

Will be driving from Johnson City NY.

Wow! I was looking thru your “toy list”. I would need a bigger house and a much bigger brain to use all that awesome gear. I do appreciate your offer, if I’m still working on this June I might just take you up on it. I’m pretty good a visualizing the size and scope of things, (see what I did there? Size and scopelol.gif lol.gif) but seeing and lifting in person wouldn’t be a bad thing in this situation.

• Phil Cowell likes this

#16 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:04 PM

Moving to Cats & Casses for a better fit.

#17 Stephen Kennedy

Stephen Kennedy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

I am 68 years old now and when I purchased my 23 kg (50 lbs) Mikage 210 F/7.7 Newtonian OTA 31 years ago while stationed in Japan I could lift it onto the mount by myself without any difficulty. Now my two sons have to do it because I just can not do it myself anymore. Getting older and suffering a stroke have reduced my strength and like the OP I have to consider how much a piece of astronomy equipment weighs and its physical size when I think about purchasing something.
  • bobzeq25 and JoeyP like this

#18 JoeyP

JoeyP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:42 PM

I am 68 years old now and when I purchased my 23 kg (50 lbs) Mikage 210 F/7.7 Newtonian OTA 31 years ago while stationed in Japan I could lift it onto the mount by myself without any difficulty. Now my two sons have to do it because I just can not do it myself anymore. Getting older and suffering a stroke have reduced my strength and like the OP I have to consider how much a piece of astronomy equipment weighs and its physical size when I think about purchasing something.

I’m 55, but I have some health issues also. I understand what your saying, Stephen.  I was talking to my 20yr old about getting the 11”, she said that she would come outside and help me anytime if I wanted to get the scope... her and my grandson live here with me. She likes to observe with me sometimes and I’m sure the rasa 11 would make for a fairly decent EAA rig along with its astrograph capability. I’ve thought about hyperstar for my edge hd, but I kinda like that the way it is. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics