•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Antique Steinheil monocentric

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 payner

payner

Vanguard

• Loc: Bluegrass & Cumberland Valley Regions, Kentucky

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:57 PM

Never saw astigmatism , same here . 

IIRC Tom sent 4 eyepieces to Mr. Seronik for evaluation , of the four , three were found to have astigmatism and the

only one not used in the tests , the 5mm , Mr. Back found not to be defective .

The strange part is how these eyepieces ended up in Mr. Seronik hands . From what I remember it goes like this .

Mr. Back wrote that he picked the four eyepieces at random from stock and sent them off without checking them

first . He had quite a few eyepieces in stock , when the eyepieces were returned and he found that 3 of the 4 had astigmatism , Tom , IIRC checked the rest of his stock and found no problems . It could be me but I found this to

be quite odd .  At any rate this was a blow that was easily avoided .

What you recall is now what I remember reading. It was an odd occurrence and no one, including him or Markus, saw the aberration again. Seronik's review really hurt sales for those that either did not know someone with experience using them and could lend credibility to the fact these were not representative of the design and production. That it was a new ep line and the first run turned into a worst case (they had to reduce prices to move them) until more and more user's could corroborate that was not their experience and the production was true to design but for those three examples.

We (I) were fortunate Markus finally gave into the constant chant he was getting to make that third run; and he required a commitment of purchase for x percentage of those 50 pieces he agreed to produce through Schott. He took advantage of that run and produced 50 pieces each including the 18- and 21-mm focal lengths, which had only existed on paper to that point. I regret not purchasing at least the 18-mm. He stated upon announcing that run there would absolutely be no more produced. Glass prices for such a small production at the expected specifications had become considerable.

#102 SteveC

SteveC

Cosmos

• Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:43 PM

We (I) were fortunate Markus finally gave into the constant chant he was getting to make that third run; and he required a commitment of purchase for x percentage of those 50 pieces he agreed to produce through Schott. He took advantage of that run and produced 50 pieces each including the 18- and 21-mm focal lengths, which had only existed on paper to that point. I regret not purchasing at least the 18-mm. He stated upon announcing that run there would absolutely be no more produced. Glass prices for such a small production at the expected specifications had become considerable.

If you had the 16mm, 21mm probably would have been more practical if you had to pick between the two. 18mm would have been too close, imho.

I thought about it too, buying the 16 & 21mm, but stuck to my guns about buying no more eyepieces. 

I haven't seen any reviews for the 18 and 21mm.

#103 payner

payner

Vanguard

• Loc: Bluegrass & Cumberland Valley Regions, Kentucky

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:51 PM

I have the 4- - 16-mm. With the longish telescope I use often with them, the 18-mm would have meant more to me. 

I'm not surprised no reviews have come up. With only 50 in existence no one wants to blow their cover. lol

• SteveC likes this

#104 leonard

leonard

Apollo

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:59 PM

I think for the test Mr. Seronik used a F8 refractor and a unknown FL reflector.

Don’t like to pass on misinformation , after thinking about it I cannot say just what focal lengths were used ,sorry about that . 

There was something longer and shorter , and a reflector and refractor .

#105 Kent10

Kent10

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:07 PM

I have the 18mm and 21mm SMCs.  I don't use them all that much but I know I don't like the longer eye relief.  It is more difficult to hover above and keep the exit pupil.  I also think there is more field curvature than in the shorter ones.  Otherwise, they are probably very similar though I haven't made a critical evaluation.  I'll have to try them again. 

• SteveC likes this

#106 SteveC

SteveC

Cosmos

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:44 PM

The main scope he use was a SV85L (f8.8) according to the article. The newtonian was a home build.

#107 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Aurora

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:57 AM

So getting back on topic, if anyone in Europe (I don’t think there are any actual Monocentrics here in the U.S.), please contact me as I would be interested in getting one.

Thanks,

#108 SteveC

SteveC

Cosmos

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:04 PM

So getting back on topic, if anyone in Europe (I don’t think there are any actual Monocentrics here in the U.S.), please contact me as I would be interested in getting one.

Thanks,

My chuckle of the day. lol.gif

I wouldn't have responded ordinarily, but you mentioned no one having actual monocentrics in the US. I have 11, non-corrected lenses of course. A tracking mount makes looking through a soda straw tolerable. I'm very much looking forward to Mars reappearing. 

The eleven consists of seven BK7 and four Fused Silica, the latter I haven't tried. It doesn't look like I'll have an opportunity to observing with the FS monocentrics this year, I'm stuck in Florida(covid travel issue) and the eyepieces are in Rhode Island. I did plop one in the TEC140 a few years back and wasn't impressed. It was hardly a fair evaluation though(maybe 10 minutes), rain move in, and the next morning I had to ship them out. The owner donated them back to me, along with four BK7 because of failing health.

#109 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:16 PM

Steve,

we have nothing against your wonderful set of the TMB Super Mono eyepieces,  they are really great eyepieces, and you should be really proud to own all of them.

A sort of chuckle arises, when the label on the later manufactured batches reads Supermonocentric,

JG

• SandyHouTex likes this

#110 SteveC

SteveC

Cosmos

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:58 PM

Steve,

we have nothing against your wonderful set of the TMB Super Mono eyepieces,  they are really great eyepieces, and you should be really proud to own all of them.

A sort of chuckle arises, when the label on the later manufactured batches reads Supermonocentric,

JG

Thanks,

For the record, in my last post I was referring to my homemade sphere eyepieces (Couture Balls).

#111 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:04 PM

Thanks,

For the record, in my last post I was referring to my homemade sphere eyepieces (Couture Balls).

Looking forward to your observing reports with the sphere eyepieces, very interesting,

JG

#112 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:30 PM

Also available from Harry Siebert.

• SteveC likes this

#113 SteveC

SteveC

Cosmos

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:46 PM

Also available from Harry Siebert.

Thanks for mentioning that - Better Call Harry.

I don't make them anymore. 

#114 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for mentioning that - Better Call Harry.

I don't make them anymore. 

Since discontinued guess that means my ultra-rare 5.9mm Couture Ball must now be worth at least $1,000 elephant.gif

• SandyHouTex likes this

#115 SteveC

SteveC

Cosmos

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:34 PM

Since discontinued guess that means my ultra-rare 5.9mm Couture Ball must now be worth at least $1,000 elephant.gif

At least!!!

I went into the archives to find out how many I sold. For some strange reason I don't have the last emails showing what exactly people ordered, I just have initial inquiries. I'm upset about that. Most of the orders were for the 5.9mm and 7.4mm, perhaps 25 altogether in those f/l's. You do have the the Hi Spec ball which had the best scratch/ding specifications(BK7 HiSpec discontinued by Edmund). You can't find balls like that anymore, anywhere !! Couture Balls were sent to France, Israel, Japan, and the UK(I believe).

I'd hold onto that ball.

• eros312 and j.gardavsky like this

#116 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:24 AM

Steve,

with the new Schott N-BK7, you could charge even a premium above $1,000 and especially when you take the ZEISS quality certified glass spheres,

https://www.ebay.de/...5kAAOSwQJhUiCgQ

So, never ever say no,

JG

• SteveC likes this

#117 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:56 AM

Make 300, or less, give each its own s/n, name them after a historic space somethingorother, bit of foil embossed card packaging, and charge $×××× .

#118 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:17 AM

Very encouraging, and maybe I will give it a try.

Looking for walnut cases with the royal style gold on red padding,

JG

• SteveC likes this

#119 SteveC

SteveC

Cosmos

Posted 06 June 2020 - 12:47 PM

Steve,

with the new Schott N-BK7, you could charge even a premium above $1,000 and especially when you take the ZEISS quality certified glass spheres,

https://www.ebay.de/...5kAAOSwQJhUiCgQ

So, never ever say no,

JG

Edmund has the N-BK7 spheres also, but I can't find the scratch/ding ratio anywhere.

https://www.edmundop...ball-lens/2569/

• j.gardavsky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics