•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My old "Soft Top" Observatory

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stozhary

Stozhary

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:44 PM

This tread was inspired by JP50515. Thank you.

I hope my experience may help some of astronomers who have "special neighbors" and must obey local building codes.

Here is my solution of my first "observatory". Frame was built from 1" PVC pipes and fittings for plumbing.

To make frame more rigid I inserted inside PVC  3/4" EMT electrical conduits. That was done before assembly PVC pipes and fittings. Surprisingly it made frame MUCH less flexible with addition diagonal tension wires.  I covered frame with custom sewed tarp. Silver side of tarp reflected more UV light and last 3 seasons, but now has sign of weather deterioration and no longer in use. Beneath tarp was one layer of polyethylene film as second protective water barrier. Front of "shelter" has 3' vertical zipper. It made possible to open this shelter. Along one side frame was fixed to deck with hardware allowing rotate frame.

Overall construction was Do It Yourself project, cost efficient and quick to open/close observation session. Local code enforcement officer had no objectives smile.gif.

Thanks for watching.

Clear Skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• MyOldObservatoryweb1.JPG
  • MyOldObservatoryweb1_1.JPG

• Jim Davenport, pedxing, lbim and 2 others like this

#2 Couder

Couder

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Missouri Ozarks

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:20 PM

We made similar things to shield the light from neighbor yard lights. Easy setup, & take down. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics