•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEM60 and a Whole New World

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zakry3323

zakry3323

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:14 PM

Tonight is a night of many successes. I've been using my trusty AVX for about 3 years now and guiding RMS under typical conditions have usually fallen somewhere around 1.5- 2" when using a 1.025 arc/sec image scale. Lots of tossed subs at that scale, and had to switch back to a smaller, lighter refractor to make the most of my time. 

I'm using a CEM60 now, and this is its real first light. For the first time I've had success using SGP's plate solving and centering, and after a good polar alignment and calibration in PHD2, I'm getting .73 arc/sec average without any tweaking. 

There's nothing like consistent, round stars! Now for a cold porter while waiting to see if the meridian flip works :)

Whoo!! 

• NMCN, psandelle, Ken Sturrock and 9 others like this

#2 Eric Horton

Eric Horton

Vostok 1

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:21 PM

Sounds like my experiences when I switched to cem60. Last 3 nights .20 or under for guiding and meridian flips were all flawless. I use sgp for software
  • psandelle and zakry3323 like this

#3 gotak

gotak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:15 PM

Good for you! You are finding out why the mount gets recommended a lot now a days.

For flips set the mount to go 1 degree pass. And set SGP to flip at. This way they don't fight each other at the meridian. 

Btw now you have my crazy imagination with a CEM60 and a scope on a magic carpet singing. Yes I have young daughters in the house, and I know all the disney stuff... 

Edited by gotak, 22 April 2019 - 10:20 PM.

• NMCN and zakry3323 like this

#4 zakry3323

zakry3323

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:26 AM

Good for you! You are finding out why the mount gets recommended a lot now a days.

For flips set the mount to go 1 degree pass. And set SGP to flip at. This way they don't fight each other at the meridian. 

Btw now you have my crazy imagination with a CEM60 and a scope on a magic carpet singing. Yes I have young daughters in the house, and I know all the disney stuff... 

Unbelievable sights
Indescribable feeling
Soaring, tumbling, freewheeling
Through an endless diamond sky

(Don't you dare close your eyes!) 

:)

#5 zakry3323

zakry3323

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:39 AM

It was a great night and I'm happy with many of my results!

The meridian flip, unfortunately, didn't work. Tracking remained surprisingly good 20 minutes passed the meridian, with only a few outlying deviations. I stopped it just short of crashing and went back to zero position. Why didn't it work? Well, I'm thinking it could be something as simple as not having the flip saved in the profile for my session- there's a good chance I didn't set it to flip until my session was running. So I'll do some reading to make sure that I have my settings for the mount and SGP and PHD correct and try again next session. 

I'm not too disappointed because the Moon was on the rise, and conditions were pretty crummy besides. 

A point of weirdness though, is that I was unable to slew to a good position to continue imaging M87 just using the HC. I tried slewing first to a nearby star, and then slewing to M87, but the mount still wanted to go back to the passed-meridian position. I also tried slewing to M87 with the HC - manual entering RA and DEC position, but no luck. 

Odd. More reading to do, I suppose smile.gif

Edited by zakry3323, 23 April 2019 - 10:40 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics