•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PixInsight Lessons (and a New processing technique)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ngc1535

ngc1535

Vendor - Caelum Observatory

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:54 PM

Hi,

Recently I have added content to the lessons I create at AdamBlockStudios.com. I hope you will visit and check out the new titles.

In addition, I also regularly make available content that I share widely including a new method of implementing star de-emphasis that does not rely on an erosion technique. 

To my knowledge this innovation is one-of-a-kind and it serves to show the kind of effort I am putting towards these tutorials and the art of astrophotography in general.

Below is what I wrote on the PI forum concerning this new technique. I would encourage you to also see my recent appearance on the Astro-Imaging Channel and get a sense of the manner in which I express myself as well as my perspectives on image processing. The star de-emphasis demonstration is at the latter part of the presentation.

Hi all,

Recently I published my method for de-emphasizing stars. This method does not use an erosion filter and so avoids the pitfalls/artifacts of the method.
I demonstrated the technique during my guest appearance on the Astro Imaging Channel last Sunday April 20th 2019.

In addition, because it is popular in some circles, I also went through the exercise of creating a written version of the technique (though I still think the video methods are always best).

Please visit the free material section of my website here:

https://www.adambloc...es/Free_Content

You will find both the embedded YouTube video as well as a link to the written version (below):

https://www.adambloc...cles/star_demph

On a meta-note concerning PI- I showed this technique during my invited talk and workshop at NEAIC a few weeks ago. It was titled "Innovations in PixInsight" and the idea behind the talk was to highlight not only what PI does- but what it can be made to do. PixInsight by design permits a user to develop methods and tools that may not exist due to its open ended implementation. Although I have seen many talks on how to use PixInsight; but I was striving to show yet a greater level of abstraction- one that is very powerful as I hope my innovation above shows.

Even if the technique isn't your cup of tea- you might find the sub-techniques I used of interest in and of themselves. Although teaching PI is part of my "business"- it is also important to give back to a community that has always been extremely supportive of my efforts.In the lessons I publish at my digitial studio I offer the unique perspective of the how and why of image processing instead of rote recipes. This comes from my more than 25 years of experience in teaching astronomy and astrophotography. Above all it is the sharing of the information that is the most enjoyable.

Someone who watched the video published their results (and was happy!) on the Cloudy Nights Forum.

https://www.cloudyni...a/#entry9309605

It is a subtle processing effect... especially at this scale- but note how the nebulosity is easier to see with the de-emphasis of the stars in my example image**,

before_after_1.jpg

Sincerely,
Adam Block

** This image example was kindly provided to me by Terry Robison. It is always best to demonstrate your techniques on other people's images.

• lambermo, buckeyestargazer, darkstar3d and 4 others like this

#2 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:56 PM

Thanks Adam.  I was at your NEAIC presentation and I was so glad for this star de-emphasis process.  With MorphologicalTransformation I always ended up with rings around stars.  I'll be sure to use this in the future!  

• ngc1535 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics