•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Interesting (apparent) Jovian GRS development...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:15 AM

Hi folks - no images as yet although I have made a very rushed processing of the first capture I developed from this morning's session Pat & I undertook: hopefully there are better captures than the one I sent to BAA & ALPO-Japan a few minutes back! fingerscrossed.gif lol.gif

Lately the images I have looked at on ALPO-Japan reveal a darker "core" to the GRS that has the appearance of an elongated "bar" with some later images seeming to suggest that this might have been separating into 2 section - our first processing of this morning's appears to now reveal this as 2 distinct "darker spots" - in fact as Pat noted, the GRS now presents a "smiley face." lol.gif

Interested if anyone else has picked this up in the last 24 hours or so - the only image I've seen from today is Clyde Foster's rgb from around UT 00:17 ( a bit later than any of ours) where the "bar" shape is apparent but not the 2 distinct "spots"...

Edited by Kokatha man, 23 April 2019 - 12:15 AM.

• RedLionNJ and Redbetter like this

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:42 AM

lol.gif Well, I might have to retract this...or better to report that the next image I processed - the next capture, about 4 minutes later than the one I reported on here...showed the detail in the GRS to be a more complex pattern again: angle of viewing plus seeing peccadilloes of course play parts in what can be resolved with each later capture, bringing the GRS closer to the CM for optimum appearance perspective.

Not sure either way atm but the "quadrella" we attempted looks like it might pay out wink.gif with Ganymede, Europa (with shadow transit) Io & Callisto all there in a "groupie" with Jove & his GRS...with little chance of WJ use, hopefully the best single capture might make the grade! fingerscrossed.gif

We've made the processing a bit hard for ourselves (well, me! wink.gif ) by swapping from a small ROI for Jove, then increasing it to 1256x400 for a few moons inclusive captures then bumping it up to 1256x420 just to ensure that Callisto wasn't sliced, this moon being somewhat below Jove in these captures...with the necessary offset applied in AS!3 to accommodate the fov I'll have to re-MAP the varying captures in AS!3... frown.gif

• RedLionNJ likes this

#3 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:22 PM

Eagerly awaiting Jupiter and the Galilean moons

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics