•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using Vintage Japan 0.965" 2X Barlow Lens in classic refractors

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 aa6ww

aa6ww

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:47 AM

I see that surplus shed sells some vintage 2x barlows in 0.965 diameters. These are long barrel barlows from the past, and seem much too long to insert into the small  eyepiece end of a 0.965 diagonal. Would these barlows be inserted into the draw tube of a telescope, then the diagonal is inserted into the barlow, and then the eyepiece is inserted into the diagonal?

Would these still reach focus without using any special adapters? its been 40 plus years since I tried to use one of these but I'm definitely curious how these work when using these classic 2x barlows.

Does anyone still use these and if so, is this the configuration to make the barlow work effectively? 

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

.Ralph in Sacramento. 

#2 Juha

Juha

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:54 AM

I have on, never used it :) it is in my box for fun. 

#3 siriusandthepup

siriusandthepup

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:32 AM

The reason we used those back in the "old days" is that back then we didn't have any short fl, comfortable, high performance eyepieces like we do now.

Even the best eps of the day were usually Orthos. Eye relief at 5mm was horrid. Better to use a 10mm and the Barlow.

The refractors the Barlows were used with had super long focuser draw tubes built in and rarely had trouble accommodating anything you wanted to use in the optical train.

You often had two options for Barlow use. Insert the Barlow after the diagonal or insert the Barlow before the diagonal. Inserting the Barlow after (directly in front of the eyepiece) was the standard method and yielded the design magnification stated on the Barlow. Inserting the Barlow before resulted in greater spacing ahead of the eyepiece and a greater magnification (not to easy to calculate the exact mag, but handy for really getting some power outta that thing).

I have had many Barlows back when, but today I only have Powermates (NOT a Barlow) in my box. I rarely use them due to availability of super performing, long eye relief modern short focal length eyepieces.

• mountman likes this

#4 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:38 AM

I used them occasionally and found them of good quality when used as indicated by the OP.

#5 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:46 AM

I see that surplus shed sells some vintage 2x barlows in 0.965 diameters. These are long barrel barlows from the past, and seem much too long to insert into the small  eyepiece end of a 0.965 diagonal. Would these barlows be inserted into the draw tube of a telescope, then the diagonal is inserted into the barlow, and then the eyepiece is inserted into the diagonal?

Does anyone still use these and if so, is this the configuration to make the barlow work effectively? 

.Ralph in Sacramento. 

Yes and yes.

#6 aa6ww

aa6ww

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:55 AM

Ok, Great. so they do work.

I have a small 50mm refractor and its just too small to put a Hybrid diagonal in it. I bought it for fun, but its turned out to be a pretty good scope and the optics are very nice. I just have two eyepieces however. Two of the newer Antares 52 deg  0.965"  Plossl's, 25mm and 17mm. The eye relief is great on both of them so by maybe adding a barlow, I can get more magnification and  hold onto the eye relief.

I'll see how it works if I get one of these barlows. 

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

...Ralph

• Esso2112 likes this

#7 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:23 PM

Ralph, I would also recommend this:  LINK

It's a very good, Japanese-made Barlow with the advantage of being able to be inserted into the diagonal or ahead of the diagonal, unlike many "Classic" .965" Barlows.

• terraclarke, Bomber Bob and DMala like this

#8 Juha

Juha

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:35 PM

Info about this barlow, i think it came with dan beam maby ?

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

• Bomber Bob and Uranotopia like this

#9 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:36 PM

It's a very good, Japanese-made Barlow with the advantage of being able to be inserted into the diagonal or ahead of the diagonal, unlike many "Classic" .965" Barlows.

I have one. It’s better than most of the long ones that came originally with many 1960s classic scopes. Definitely worth the price.

• Chuck Hards likes this

#10 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:38 PM

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Looks a lot like my Carton, but it's at home and I'm at work so I can't compare them right now.

#11 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:00 PM

It's a "standard" 2x Barlow from the 60s / 70s.  Pretty much identical to the one bundled with my 1964 Sears 6336, 1964 Monolux 4380, etc. etc.  I kept the 6336 one, and I use it most often for digital imaging with the few fracs I have that can't be easily adapted to 1.25" accessories.  Pretty good quality (probably because it was rarely - if ever - used.)

#12 rayden68

rayden68

Vostok 1

• Loc: South Central Oregon

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:19 PM

Yes i still use them! quality certainly varies but i have found the long focal lengths of the old classics were pretty forgiving. Note the palomar barlows that came with my palomar, they have the short insertion tips meant for placement before or after the diagonal. the other barlows have the super long lead in that can only go before the diagonal or for strait through viewing. The palomars are nice and so is the vixen. 

Attached Thumbnails

• barlows.jpg

Edited by rayden68, 23 April 2019 - 07:26 PM.

• Bomber Bob and Uranotopia like this

#13 konrad

konrad

Apollo

• Loc: South Africa Johannesburg

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:35 AM

I only have 2 one came with the Tasco 10TE which is ok its a doublet , the one that came with the 11TE is terrible has a single lens and the CA it generates is bad , so even though they look the same one has to check the actual lens 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#14 Bonco2

Bonco2

Mariner 2

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:40 PM

Good info.
So who uses a barrow with a Unihex? I don't see the point but maybe I'm missing something.
Bill

#15 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:23 PM

I have a few of the 2x vintage Barlow’s. Haven’t actually tried them. My prize, though is a 0.965 Takahashi 3x barlow in original box. Probably, 1980’s. Very good optics, but it is as long as the classic ones. 

• rayden68 and terraclarke like this

#16 Uranotopia

Uranotopia

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:17 AM

Thx a lot for this link!

I haven't expected, that there are 0.96" barlows of very good optical quality are still available!

Now I consider to order one for my old scopes!

• siriusandthepup likes this

#17 Uranotopia

Uranotopia

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:24 AM

I could test one original Japan- made 2x achromatic (doublet) barlow  a few years ago, it was sold with a vintage 6" Vixen Newtonian Reflektor (but I could also have only the barlow).

This was a really good barlow, nevertheless with"classic" long tube...

Unfortunately I didn't buy this barlow...

#18 rayden68

rayden68

Vostok 1

• Loc: South Central Oregon

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:46 AM

"My prize, though is a 0.965 Takahashi 3x barlow in original box. Probably, 1980’s. Very good optics, but it is as long as the classic ones."

OK you convinced me, i'll take it, just drop it in the mail and i will pay shippingcool.gif

#19 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:29 PM

Good info.
So who uses a barrow with a Unihex? I don't see the point but maybe I'm missing something.
Bill

I have both vintage Unitron barlows, the one that goes inside the Unihex and the one that slips in the diagonal. They are mainly for the collection rather than use with me. I have Unitron 6, 5, and 4mm orthos so no need.

• Bonco2, konrad and Chirp1 like this

#20 steve t

steve t

Messenger

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:26 PM

I remembered, one year at the Cincinnati Observatory Scope Out they had a whole box of those barlows. It was fun to dig through them and some were actually kinda nice, but most were just little plastic spudssmile.gif

Steve T 

• terraclarke likes this

#21 aa6ww

aa6ww

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:37 PM

I bought this Meade 07276 #134 .965 2x Barlow. It seems to be brand new. Its beautifully well made. It doesn't insert into my .965 diagonal because there's not enough in focus on my focuser, but it seems to work well inserting it into the draw tube first, then the diagonal then the eyepiece. This is for my tiny 50mm Meade refractor similar to Tasco's 50mm 66TE.

I use barlows this way but with my 2" barlow and 2" diagonal. Usually I just say its a 3x multiplier instead of 2x. Would this 3x still roughly apply with these smaller diameter barlow? So far I've use this both with an Antares 25mm Plossl and 17mm Plossl and it seems to work pretty well.

I'm also using a .965 to 1.25" hybrid diagonal but I prefer the smaller lines of the smaller 0.965 optics.

...Ralph

I have one. It’s better than most of the long ones that came originally with many 1960s classic scopes. Definitely worth the price.

• terraclarke likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics