•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Brief Lyrid Meteor Shower Report

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:24 AM

On Monday night, I visited the York Astronomical County Society's observatory.  The YCAS was conducting a public Lyrid meteor shower watch.  I saw some carbon and multiple stars and quite a few DSOs through three different telescopes and two binoculars but missed a couple of meteors that some of the others there witnessed. 

http://www.astroyork.com/

On the way home, I stopped at the Astronomical Society of Harrisburg's Naylor Observatory to try to catch a few Lyrids.  In two hours time, from 12:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. EDT (5:00 to 6:00 UT), I saw a grand total of five Lyrid meteors.  Two were fairly bright, one of them being at least 0 magnitude.  They were the first two meteors that I sighted and headed westward from the radiant.  The other three traveled northward towards Ursa Minor.

Moonlight was brightening the sky to a good degree by the time I took a warm-up break.  When I emerged after the break, clouds were beginning to cover the sky so I left shortly afterwards.

Dave Mitsky

• George N, John O'Hara, tchandler and 5 others like this

#2 Redbetter

Redbetter

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:38 AM

I saw several this evening in the suburban backyard while doing some drift timing tests.  They were short and relatively fast.  One was a beauty that grew brighter, dimmed then flashed brighter before being spent. 

• George N, John O'Hara and Astroman007 like this

#3 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:45 AM

While my current bout with bronchitis means I can't spend any real time outside at night -- 

Last night (4/22/19), around 10:15 PM EDT - I stepped out on my back deck to see about 2/3 of the sky dark and clear. As soon as I stepped out a nice Lyrid streaked thru Leo, etc. I was very lucky!

Around midnight I watched the gibbous moon and Jupiter rise above the ridge line to my East - a little below a lit-up cloud bank - way to bright to see any more Lyrids.

#4 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:39 AM

Cloudy here last night, and raining. No Lyrids for me this year. bawling.gif

#5 VWtype2driver

VWtype2driver

Lift Off

• Loc: Utah

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:23 AM

I caught a real good one in Moab this year.4-21-2019, 9:17 P.M. Mountain Standard Time. It streaked from East to West leaving a smoke trail behind it. It was a nice yellow color and I didnt think it was going to end!

• Mountaineer370 and Astroman007 like this

#6 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:33 AM

Skies cleared late Monday night and I got about an hour before the moon came up. I only

saw two weak Lyrids.

#7 tchandler

tchandler

Vanguard

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:54 PM

Saw at least one Lyrid last night around 23:00, in addition to a couple of other strays. 

The Lyrid appeared to be travelling substantially slower than a typical Perseid. It was about as bright as Spica. It travelled an estimated 15-20 degrees.

#8 Redbetter

Redbetter

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:10 AM

Had a very-late-for-the-show Lyrid show up early in the evening tonight.  It was another slow mover, but it was very bright in Bortle 2/3 conditions, perhaps approaching the magnitude of Venus as it fragmented low along the northeast horizon at about 10:30 pm local.  Definitely brighter than Jupiter.  The trail didn't last long, but I could track the meteor through and past the main girth of a massive pine.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics