•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How do you shoot narrowband with a colour Dlsr?

accessories astrophotography dslr equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Henry_Hird

Henry_Hird

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:48 AM

Hi,

I came across this article : https://www.optolong...ter-coming-soon

It has some pretty amazing images in it, can someone explain to me the most likely processing steps the photographer must have gone through? Assuming he was using this filter with a colour Dlsr.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

#2 Paulyman

Paulyman

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:22 AM

I can’t talk about that filter but I have started imaging with a clip in Ha filter on my modded Canon 1200D and I am loving it. For me dithering and then Bayer drizzle after calibrating and stacking are key steps to get a workable image.

While linear I do deconvolution and noise reduction. Then after stretching another bit of noise reduction before HDR transformation and contrast enhancement. Once done I move over to Photoshop to shrink the stars and form a HaRGB image as I haven’t worked out how to do that using PI yet.

I imagine that with the filter you linked to much of the above would be the same. You would actually keep the green and blue channels whereas I discard them for just Ha. You’d probably recombine after deconvolution and linear noise reduction and before stretching.

Edit - These new multi bandpass filters are looking really interesting by the way.

Edited by Paulyman, 23 April 2019 - 05:24 AM.

#3 Henry_Hird

Henry_Hird

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:33 AM

I can’t talk about that filter but I have started imaging with a clip in Ha filter on my modded Canon 1200D and I am loving it. For me dithering and then Bayer drizzle after calibrating and stacking are key steps to get a workable image.

While linear I do deconvolution and noise reduction. Then after stretching another bit of noise reduction before HDR transformation and contrast enhancement. Once done I move over to Photoshop to shrink the stars and form a HaRGB image as I haven’t worked out how to do that using PI yet.

I imagine that with the filter you linked to much of the above would be the same. You would actually keep the green and blue channels whereas I discard them for just Ha. You’d probably recombine after deconvolution and linear noise reduction and before stretching.

Edit - These new multi bandpass filters are looking really interesting by the way.

Thanks for the help, and I agree, these new filters do look amazing! 

#4 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:31 PM

This looks very similar to the OPT Triad filter. After a few experiments I found that no special processing was required. I process my color/narrowband images taken with my CMOS camera/Triad as I would any other color image. Easy peasy.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, dslr, equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics