•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hyperwide upgrade options for 11mm ES82?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 drneilmb

drneilmb

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Decorah, IA, USA

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:29 PM

My main scope is a 12" f/5 dob and after the widest-FOV finder/starhopping eyepiece (38mm SWA), my next most commonly used eyepiece is an 11mm ES82. With a roughly 2mm exit pupil and a nice enough FOV, it's been my favorite for most DSOs since I got it. I'm pondering a birthday eyepiece in the $250 price range and considering upgrading where I spend most of my observing time. I've always wanted to try out a hyper-wide 100 degree type eyepiece, but I'm having trouble understanding all of the different options.

Here's what I've gleaned from Don Pensack's 2019 spreadsheet: Excluding Televue and Explore Scientific on budgetary grounds, there appear to be three distinct lines of hyper-wide eyepieces, each one sold under a variety of brand names. I'm grouping these together based on the available focal lengths in each group.

• Skywatcher Myriad, William Optics XWA, Teleskop Service XWA - 3.5, 5, 9, 20
  • Stellarvue Optimus, APM XWA HDC - 3.6, 4.7, 9, 13.5, 20
  • Meade MWA, Omegon Panorama II, Teleskop Service SWA - 5, 10, 15, 21

The Meade MWAs were reviled for being 90 instead of 100 degree eyepieces, and it's my guess that TS and Omegon are taking a chance on the same design. There were also reviews talking about difficulties with blackouts and EOFB. Is the Meade/Omegon worth all that for $50 less than the others?

Are there substantive differences between the 9mm XWA options? It looks like the APM XWA HDC is the easiest one to get in the US from Eyepieces Etc. and the others are primarily European?

I assume I'm not the only one trying to cheap out and undercut ES/Televue on this choice. What are your experiences with the relatively inexpensive 9-10mm hyperwides? Should I be happy at 82 degrees and wait a few more years to spend the 0.5 kilobucks on ES/Televue?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

-Neil

Edited by drneilmb, 23 April 2019 - 03:30 PM.

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:52 PM

Caution would dictate you try one first to decide whether you like the 100° fields.

You don't mention whether or not you use a coma corrector on the f/5 dob, but remember that the wider the apparent field at any specific focal length, the more visible coma will be at the edge of the field because the edge of the field will extend further into the focal plane of the scope.

So you might, if you like the 100° fields, find yourself looking for a coma corrector.

It looks like something in the 10-14mm range might be a "most-used" eyepiece.

You have the APM (née Lunt Engineering) XWA HDC in 2 groups, accidentally.  Actual focal length on the 5mm is 4.7mm approximately.

Group 3 has longer eye relief, if that is of concern.  Blackout reports may relate to that.

• faackanders2 and drneilmb like this

#3 drneilmb

drneilmb

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:30 PM

Caution would dictate you try one first to decide whether you like the 100° fields.
You don't mention whether or not you use a coma corrector on the f/5 dob, but remember that the wider the apparent field at any specific focal length, the more visible coma will be at the edge of the field because the edge of the field will extend further into the focal plane of the scope.
So you might, if you like the 100° fields, find yourself looking for a coma corrector.

I don't use a coma corrector right now. I'm occasionally bothered by little comets in the 38mm SWA, but I attribute that more to that particular eyepiece than the coma issue. I'll think more about the possibility of getting a coma corrector before an eyepiece upgrade.

You have the APM (née Lunt Engineering) XWA HDC in 2 groups, accidentally.  Actual focal length on the 5mm is 4.7mm approximately.

You're right, I had gotten confused between the 4.7mm and 5mm and use of HDC sometimes and not other times (e.g. https://www.apm-tele...-eyepieces.html). I'll edit the original post.

#4 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:02 PM

Your $250 budget can buy a really nice eyepiece. I would be looking at a 13 / 9 APM HDC or

a 12.5 / 9 Morpheus. 

I had a love/ hate relationship with my 11mm ES82. Mostly love but it needed cleaning after

nearly every use due to its poor eye relief.

Edited by rowdy388, 23 April 2019 - 04:05 PM.

• havasman and 25585 like this

#5 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Apollo

• Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:32 PM

Your $250 budget can buy a really nice eyepiece. I would be looking at a 13 / 9 APM HDC or

a 12.5 / 9 Morpheus. 

Definitely agree !

• 25585 likes this

#6 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

+1 for the Morpheus. Hard to beat that large eye lens and long eye relief. Blackouts are the most common in long eye relief eyepieces, but once you get the hang of how to view thru them, you'll never go back. It's like outer space is jumping out of the eye lens and makes a very immersive experience. 

• 25585 likes this

#7 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Skylab

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:20 PM

I'd lean towards the APM 13. I have the 20, and it's a very good eyepiece.

That would be a good step from the 8.8 ES. Then if you really like 100 degrees, then 9mm swapped for the 8.8 would be the way to go.

#8 drneilmb

drneilmb

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:24 PM

+1 for the Morpheus. Hard to beat that large eye lens and long eye relief. Blackouts are the most common in long eye relief eyepieces, but once you get the hang of how to view thru them, you'll never go back. It's like outer space is jumping out of the eye lens and makes a very immersive experience.

I think the Morpheus sounds very nice with the easy eye relief, but I wonder if it's revolutionary compared to another good quality 82 degree eyepiece? I don't have eye positioning issues with the 11mm ES82, so I'm trying to find out what a Morpheus gets me that I don't already have?

At least an APM HDC has the much bigger FOV for around the same price as a 9mm Morpheus.

#9 Rock22

Rock22

Ranger 4

• Loc: Diamond Bar, California

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:37 PM

I enjoy using the 9mm Myriad, but it does have that weird twist up eye guard. Some don’t find it comfortable, but I like it. Maybe it was made for eyeglass wearers?

I have the 20mm WO XWA (also with the twist-up eye guard), and it is my favorite in all my refractors and especially my 180mm mak.

My favorites in order: 20mm WO XWA, 17mm ES 92-deg, 13mm Ethos, 9mm Myriad.

Maybe get a 10% off coupon for the ES 12mm 92-deg? I think ‘first10’ works. That would bring the price for it down to $360. I would get that eyepiece, but I am happy with the 13mm Ethos.

#10 BJS

BJS

Ranger 4

• Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:53 PM

APM XWA 13mm.  I have the 9, 13 and 20.  All are great eyepieces.  I had a 14mm Morephus and sold it.  It did not work as well as i though it would.  It was harder to get my eye placement right with it.  I like the 13mm xwa much better!  I also had an 11mm ES 82deg.  I sold it as well.  Not as good as the xwa line IMO.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics