•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Arches NP - Moab Ut - Milky Way

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Andyc421

Andyc421

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:54 PM

Hi folks 

I will be visiting Moab Ut and Arches NP and was curious if anyone had any info on best places for milkyway shots??

framed through an arch or just with interesting foreground 

any advice would be appreciated 

Andy 

#2 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• Loc: -105 +39

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:17 PM

just google nightscape, canyonlands, arches and milky way and you'll find a zillion.   

#3 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:20 PM

While this won't exactly answer your question, I'll say that there is a good deal of night time traffic on the park's main road.  I like to get off that road and park/observe/image in the Double Arch/South Window parking lot.

#4 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:11 PM

Arches...one of the most beautiful places i have been. Have fun! And do go to Canyonlands as well.

Hope to see your shots soon.

#5 moabyte

moabyte

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: UT

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:42 AM

Canyonlands NP and Dead Horse Point SP are both IDA Dark Sky Parks whereas Arches NP is still working toward that. Mesa Arch in Canyonlands is a good spot. If you search for 'mesa arch milky way', you'll find numerous examples.

#6 jforkner

jforkner

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Copperopolis, CA

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:16 AM

Since many of the arches are not aligned well for MW shots (i.e. looking South thru opening), I’d suggest other features as a foreground.  Looking South over Dead Horse Point in Canyonlands, for instance.  Or between the pillars on Park Avenue (runs North - South) in Arches.

Forget the MW, and just shoot some night sky with lots of stars.  Orientation of the foreground will not be as important then.  Plus, you'll have more flexibility with timing.

Jack

#7 Larry Phillips

Larry Phillips

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:24 AM

Where you shoot depends on what time of the year and what time of night.  Use Photopills to determine the rise of the milky way and its center.  This will tell you at what angle you need the object to be so the MW is behind it.  Also buy a detailed Arches map from Amazon to determine ahead of time where you stand in relation to the various arches.  Hopefully you will have practiced ahead of time taking images and using your camera in the dark.

Larry

• Astrodave likes this

#8 VWtype2driver

VWtype2driver

Sputnik

• Loc: Utah

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:36 PM

I did some observing near canyonlands this last weekend. 4/21/2019. I went to the view area for the Merrimack and Monitor. There were good view all around but the problem is you will get glare from the cars coming up the main road.  Their high beams are on most of the time also. When the cars arent driving by its nice and dark. You can move north off the parking lot a bit but be careful. There are some drop offs back there.

Also south of Moab there is a place called Hole in the Rock. Its an interesting place to visit. And just south of that there is an arch called Wilson arch. They are easily accessible. Wilson Arch is right off the road but also set back enough where you may be able to escape a lot of the light from the highway.

Edited by VWtype2driver, 24 April 2019 - 12:42 PM.

#9 Andyc421

Andyc421

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:06 PM

Wow thanks for all the great responses 

we are planning on being there for the June New moon :)   June 1-3  

I am a 'fairly' competent astro imager so can't pass up the opportunity to take both Deep Sky and Milkyway shots on the trip.  here is my humble hobbyist website www.nightskycollective.com

I am trying to get an Airbnb in the south of town near Kens lake.  I figure I would set up my deep sky rig there and shoot one night of M81 want to try it with my new T6i and spend two nights in Arches taking Milkyway shots and timelapse. with moded  6D and T6i 

the two spots I was primarily thinking about in the park are Delicate Arch and the Windows area. 

thanks for the other suggestions I will look up Dead horse point, Mesa Arch and Wilson arch 

any more suggestions or beta is welcome 

Also if any local folks want to connect while we are there that would be awesome too 

#10 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• Loc: -105 +39

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:22 PM

Wow thanks for all the great responses 

we are planning on being there for the June New moon smile.gif   June 1-3  

Just a FYI.  I don't know if its always true, but a couple times we've been out there in early-mid June has been hell for clouds of tiny gnats in the areas with Juniper, which are all over pretty much.  Especially with little kids (I see in your avatar) they love to eat.  And their bites last.  Standing upwind in a strong breeze was the only way we avoided them in the day time and then ran back to our car.  At night they go back in the bushes in the cooler temps.  

#11 Andyc421

Andyc421

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the Gnats. no kids coming on the trip 

I googled Dead horse point and there seems to be a really cool tree there to use in the foreground. can any of you confirm that?

I tried to paste a shot of it in the response but I cant seem to make it work 

hopefully the skies will be clear and there will not be too many tourist 

it looks like Mesa arch has a bunch of people that go there to catch the sunrise

do any of you helpful folks live in Moab?

#12 VWtype2driver

VWtype2driver

Sputnik

• Loc: Utah

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the Gnats. no kids coming on the trip 

I googled Dead horse point and there seems to be a really cool tree there to use in the foreground. can any of you confirm that?

I tried to paste a shot of it in the response but I cant seem to make it work 

hopefully the skies will be clear and there will not be too many tourist 

it looks like Mesa arch has a bunch of people that go there to catch the sunrise

do any of you helpful folks live in Moab?

Dead Horse Point is beautiful and there is some good things you can put in the foreground there. Delicate arch is a hike to get to. I think its 1.5 miles each way which isnt too bad but you may want to check and see what time the park closes. Thats the same with Dead Horse Point. Unfortunately I dont live in Moab. I just love visiting down there. Im looking forward to seeing your shots! There is also an art gallery on main street that has a lot of MW shots from the scenery around there.

#13 Andyc421

Andyc421

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:44 PM

Hi Folks thanks for all the input on this thread and PMs 

We have finally arrived in Moab 

forecast does not seem to favor DSO but there might be some windows for Milkyway shots 

I have 3 objectives 

Panorama point at Deadhorse

Delicate Arch 

Windows area

also the Lasalles have nice snow cover so getting the milkyway over them might look awesome 

if you are here in town and interested in meeting up and shooting some milkyway let me know 

PM me for contact info 

#14 andysea

andysea

Gemini

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:54 PM

You can also try landscape arch

Attached Thumbnails

• landscape arch.jpg

• jerry10137 likes this

#15 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:29 AM

Guys, when i was there (last time 6 years or so) i was not allowed to enter the Arches after sunset...at least if my memory doesn't let me down. Is something changed or is it just my bad memory and am i confuse this with the terms of another park

#16 Andyc421

Andyc421

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:10 AM

We were in there tonight shooting milky way shots so maybe it changed

#17 Larry Phillips

Larry Phillips

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:17 AM

They had the road closed for a while at night because they were doing road construction during the night time hours.

Larry

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics