•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PHD2 is giving me trouble :(

astrophotography equipment beginner
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 Nikonist800

Nikonist800

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:56 PM

Finally I got an clear skies tonight and got the opportunity to log my guide. wink.gif
After adjusting some backlash in the mount that I could feel with my fingers and making sure the gears moved lightly, I calibrated at 0 degrees in declination, a bit west of the meridian.
My RMS is much better.
However, I got an alarm during the calibration that DEC and RA were unexpectedly far apart. What could that mean?
After about 30 minutes the clouds pulled in again so I had to cancel.

It seems to be my RA axis that is causing the problems.
I cannot for life in me see what the problem is. My Heq5 is all new! undecided.gif

Again thank you all who are trying to help me

https://www.dropbox....HVmSsHIvia?dl=0

Attached Thumbnails

• screen.png
  • Skärmbild (3).png

Edited by Nikonist800, 29 April 2019 - 09:15 PM.

#27 StephenW

StephenW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:38 PM

Do you have a guide log that also includes your calibration and GA runs?  We really need to see them.

From the logs you posted there is a clearly lot of bouncing around in RA, especially after each dither.  I would disable dithering for now to see how RA tracking behaves.

And are you balanced East heavy?  This can help prevent RA bouncing.

#28 Nikonist800

Nikonist800

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:03 PM

Do you have a guide log that also includes your calibration and GA runs?  We really need to see them.

From the logs you posted there is a clearly lot of bouncing around in RA, especially after each dither.  I would disable dithering for now to see how RA tracking behaves.

And are you balanced East heavy?  This can help prevent RA bouncing.

Oh thanks, I´m adding all the files now from the evening in the dropbox folder. smile.gif  (i hope one of them are what you want).

Sorry I am very new to this and have never dealt with these log files.

It was 50 50 balanced tonight. I have tried both ways earlier without eny luck. undecided.gif

#29 StephenW

StephenW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:13 PM

Still only seeing the 1 guide log and some debug logs - did you do a calibration and GA run that night?  If so there should be a guide log with that information.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend starting with dithering disabled and a slight East heavy balance and seeing if you still have the bounce in RA.

#30 Nikonist800

Nikonist800

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:50 PM

Those files were the only ones in the folder. I did a calibration that night yes. I'll make another attempt tonight. Thanks for the tip. I'll deactivate dithering and balance east heavy. Get back in 24h. Thanks so much :)

#31 OldManSky

OldManSky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:27 AM

Unless you changed something during setup, your guide logs from PHD2 will be in This PC/Documents/PHD2/

They'll be named PHD2_GuideLog_Date_xxxxx.txt

#32 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:09 AM

You need to post the PHD logs.

Reading through this I believe that you have a combination of poor polar alignment coupled with low aggression and a poor choice of calibration stars. The other possibility is that you have put some really strange setting in minimum move. Then the mount will not be able to "keep up" with the drift and things will just go off the way you describe them. 

The meridian is at the zenith minus your latitude. The meridian is directly to the south of you and runs to the celestial pole (Polaris) and then down to the northern horizon. Calibrate at the intersection of the two lines and you'll get the best result. 

It's all just guesswork if you cannot find the logs. Windows search will find them for you and/or just read the documentation about where PHD puts it's logs. They should be in C:\users\YOURID\Documents\PHD2 which I believe is the default directory.

Rgrds-Ross

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, equipment, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics