•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Evolution + Wedge + CPWI First Try Last Night Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Smithry3

Smithry3

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:14 PM

Hello, I've been excited to try out the new CPWI software with my Evolution mount.  One of the reasons I wanted to use it was because I've always been limited to two star alignments when doing an EQ North Polar align with the Nexstar + hand control.  I'm also interested in saving the alignments and using them on multi-day imaging sessions. 

The CPWI software worked great, I connected through my hand controller using the serial connection that I've used in the past for auto-guiding.  Which leads me to my issue.  I was unable to connect to my mount using PHD2 while connected using CPWI.  It complained that it was unable to connect via COM4.  I'm assuming that CWPI is using ASCOM and port COM4 and that is why PHD2 is unable to connect.  I tried to select a different port in PHD2 as I've had to do in the past but only COM4 was available for selection.  Has anybody encountered this or have any suggestions on how I might get around this?

Thanks!

Ryan

Edited by Smithry3, 24 April 2019 - 01:23 PM.

#2 skaiser

skaiser

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:31 PM

Ryan

You have to use the CPWI (ASCOM)  interface connection when you use CPWI.

This is different from the Celestron Ascom connection.

#3 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:00 PM

Ryan

You have to use the CPWI (ASCOM)  interface connection when you use CPWI.

This is different from the Celestron Ascom connection.

I can second that. When you are using CPWI, other (third party) apps should connect through CPWI, NOT directly to the HC/Serial/USB port. I have done this successfully with APT and SharpCap.

#4 Smithry3

Smithry3

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I needed to select CPWI (ascom) instead of Celestron Telescope (ascom) in the Phd2 dialog.

Edited by Smithry3, 25 April 2019 - 01:27 PM.

• Stefan042 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics