•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY camera DC power

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bnickeson

bnickeson

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:25 PM

I've got a QHY168c and to my surprise it did not come with a means of using 12V DC power.  I sent an email to QHY about this and the response wasn't much help.  Doing some research, it appears that possibly the DC201 power adapter ($100!!!!!!) is what I need?  What cords do I need with that, since it doesn't say if it comes with any.  I think the cable to the camera is 2.5mm jack, can anyone confirm that?

#2 darkstar3d

darkstar3d

Messenger

• Loc: North Metro Atlanta

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:26 PM

Mine came with an AC adapter and a DC cord with locking screw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 darkstar3d

darkstar3d

Messenger

• Loc: North Metro Atlanta

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:33 PM

I’m wrong. It came with an AC adapter only. I was using the DC from my 163.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 BetaDraconis

BetaDraconis

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:45 PM

Should be 5.5 x 2.1mm.

According to High Point, it should come with:

USB 3.0 cable (1.5m)
Self-locking power cable
Angle Adjustment Adapter Ring
12V power adapter
Drying tube
Desiccant
Dust Cap
M42/2inch adapter (Maximum diameter: 56mm)
Driver download card
Inspection report

#5 Frabog

Frabog

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:48 PM

I used a ZWO 294 MC Pro and this one was also without a 12v power supply it was also reported on the website; Now you only need it to make the cooling work the camera work perfectly on the USB but of course it is meant to be cooled to suppress the noise.

#6 bnickeson

bnickeson

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:54 PM

Does anyone know if I have to buy the outrageously expensive DC201 power adapter?  For the cost of what that is, it should be able to process my photos for me too...

#7 nateman_doo

nateman_doo

Viking 1

• **---
  • Loc: Dirty Jersey

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:17 PM

This is what I am currently using:

61uPsS9S7AL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.c...37-6b060766031a

#8 billdan

billdan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SE Queensland

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:47 PM

Don't buy the DC-201 if your intention is to use it with your QHY168. 

The DC-201 is designed for QHY's CCD cameras and is not compatible with the CMOS camera range, also it uses a 9 pin connector from DC-201 to CCD camera as this photo of the rear of a QHY-8L camera shows.

Attached Thumbnails

• QHY8L Rear.jpg

Edited by billdan, 24 April 2019 - 09:50 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#9 Arie

Arie

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:36 AM

I used a ZWO 294 MC Pro and this one was also without a 12v power supply it was also reported on the website; Now you only need it to make the cooling work the camera work perfectly on the USB but of course it is meant to be cooled to suppress the noise.

Be careful here.

ZWO camera's will indeed run on USB power only.

12v is needed for the cooling and usb hub power.

QHY camera's do need 12v power to run. Without 12v power they might or might not connect to your computer.

I had a QHY294 a while ago. It came without a 12v adaptor.

But these things are $20 only nowadays. Besides you will have a 12v already for all the other equipment on your rig.

#10 bnickeson

bnickeson

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:18 PM

Don't buy the DC-201 if your intention is to use it with your QHY168. 

The DC-201 is designed for QHY's CCD cameras and is not compatible with the CMOS camera range, also it uses a 9 pin connector from DC-201 to CCD camera as this photo of the rear of a QHY-8L camera shows.

Thank you!  That's probably not something I would have noticed without more research.

Does that imply I don't need any sort of a regulator or power adapter?  Should I just get a cigarette plug to 2.1mm jack and plug the camera into the 12V battery with that?  The AC power adapter says it outputs at 12V 6A so I'm thinking now that should be fine.  Trying to translate what QHY is saying is quite frustrating.  His response to my question regarding required cables or adapters was "Hi, In generally, the battery can connect to cigarette lighter directly. You can check it. Best Regards"

#11 Iamhondo

Iamhondo

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Salem, MO

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

Should be 5.5 x 2.1mm.

According to High Point, it should come with:

USB 3.0 cable (1.5m)
Self-locking power cable
Angle Adjustment Adapter Ring
12V power adapter
Drying tube
Desiccant
Dust Cap
M42/2inch adapter (Maximum diameter: 56mm)
Driver download card
Inspection report

My QHY168c was shipped with the locking power cable (short) and the 12v power supply (and other bits). That was almost a year ago.

The locking cable threads onto the camera (so I really don't considering "self-"locking). It's nice to reduce direct stress on the camera power connector. It seems to transfer the cable weight to the frame of the camera instead of the power connector. Lots of QHY cameras have struggled with connector irregularities from cable stress. So I consider the SLPC to be somewhat important. It was a good design decision by QHY. So you should have the connector that takes advantage of the feature. 

Pedantic footnote: The 168c doesn't include a USB hub. (At least mine doesn't.)

• psandelle likes this

#12 1DegreeN

1DegreeN

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Prachinburi, Thailand

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:37 PM

My 163M was shipped with an AC power adapter but I think this was bundled in by the vendor rather than being part of the QHY package. The power adapter should be rated to 5 or 6A - it's used to power the cooler in the camera. If you use it with a 12V battery, work out what capacity you'll need to power the cooler through the imaging session - which will obviously depend on how cool you run the camera and how hard the cooler is working.

#13 BetaDraconis

BetaDraconis

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:16 PM

Does anyone know if I have to buy the outrageously expensive DC201 power adapter?  For the cost of what that is, it should be able to process my photos for me too...

Mine is plugged into the Pegasus Pocket Power Box, and while it costs more than the DC201 it also provides powers for four devices, dew heaters, and has and environmental sensor. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics