•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade Star Navigator NG102 Help

equipment
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Newbyuk

Newbyuk

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:33 PM

Hi

I have a Meade StarNavigator NG102 Go To telescope with Audiostar.  Under the telescope info section in the Audiostar handset  the NG models aren't listed, just the pre NG models which have different focal lengths. 

Does anybody know how to add a different telescope model and it's focal length into the Audiostar handset please. The Meade website is useless.

Many thanks.

Newbyuk

Edited by Newbyuk, 24 April 2019 - 01:41 PM.

#2 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:23 PM

The important thing to get right when setting up the Audiostar is to get the Az/Ra and Alt/Dec gear ratios right, the focal length is not important for the goto to work. I think the star navigator has the same ratios than the ETX models : +01.368889 but I am not sure. What firmware version does your Audiostar have? Did you buy the Audiostar separately or did it came with the scope? Maybe someone with a working Star Navigator and Audiostar can give us a version number and their gear ratios. 

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 24 April 2019 - 02:24 PM.

#3 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:05 PM

The focal length of the scope is irrelevant to the Audiostar system. 

Contact Meade and ask them which scope to choose in the handset if the Star Navigator NG is not listed in the handset. 

Have you checked the manual to see if it is stated there?  I would expect it to be in the manual. 

#4 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:50 PM

The focal length of the scope is irrelevant to the Audiostar system. 

Contact Meade and ask them which scope to choose in the handset if the Star Navigator NG is not listed in the handset. 

Have you checked the manual to see if it is stated there?  I would expect it to be in the manual. 

I am afraid the manual and Meade is not going to be much help : the ratios are not in the manual and meade is terrible at answering technical questions but if the Audiostar controller supplied with the scope was delivered with the wrong firmware they must replace it. I am worried that it came with version A4S1 and if you tried to update online it will in fact down grade to  A3S5 and that may not have the Star navigator series. The best person to help you with this is Andrew Johansen.  

#5 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:37 AM

I am afraid the manual and Meade is not going to be much help : the ratios are not in the manual and meade is terrible at answering technical questions but if the Audiostar controller supplied with the scope was delivered with the wrong firmware they must replace it. I am worried that it came with version A4S1 and if you tried to update online it will in fact down grade to  A3S5 and that may not have the Star navigator series. The best person to help you with this is Andrew Johansen.  

The manual doesn't need to provide ratios, just which mount to select from the list.

My experience with Meade is quite different.  I have found them quite responsive.  Of course if you don't try you can't succeed. 

#6 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:00 PM

ok I give up the "moderator "knows" better!

#7 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:07 PM

ok I give up the "moderator "knows" better!

I think you mean the guy with two Meade scopes has experience with working with Meade on problems. 

Hi

I have a Meade StarNavigator NG102 Go To telescope with Audiostar.  Under the telescope info section in the Audiostar handset  the NG models aren't listed, just the pre NG models which have different focal lengths. 

Does anybody know how to add a different telescope model and it's focal length into the Audiostar handset please. The Meade website is useless.

Many thanks.

Newbyuk

Now, as to setting the scope.   Most likely you don't have to select anything. It should come from the factory preset for your scope.   Only if you are going to use this handset on a different scope would you likely ever need to touch the mount or scope type.

But let's go over it just in case.

As we said, the focal length and aperture don't matter to the operation of the GoTo mount.

On Page 26 of the manual you have the menu structure for the Audiostar system.

What you are looking for is under set-up.  This is where you can change the mount.   It is highly likely, I would say 90% or better that it is already set to the correct mount and there is nothing you need to change.  So, unless you have a problem with your alignment, don't mess with this.

If they have the Star Navigator but not the NG, just select the Star Navigator.  Highly likely that will work just fine. 

If and only if you have problem getting the alignment right and have followed ALL the instructions step by step, will you may need some help from Meade.

Attached Thumbnails

• Auto star set-up menu.PNG

#8 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:42 AM

"I think you mean the guy with two Meade scopes has experience with working with Meade on problems."

I actually have 4 Meade scopes, one was delivered with the wrong gears in both drives and I had to pinpoint the fault and  prove it to Mead, the scope was completely replaced so I know a little about gear ratios, encoders on the Meade, what firmware the Audiostar needs to work accurately and about how Meade's after sales service works. I also had a Audiostar with the wrong firmware and had it replaced. 

But this is not about what I know and what you think you know its about helping someone solve a problem!    

#9 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:39 AM

You are absolutely correct. Let's focus on the OP.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics