•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SVbony surprises a skeptic

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:34 PM

I have been looking for a Vixen style clamp to replace the OEM clamp on my Geoptik guide scope micro-adjuster.  I just don't feel comfortable mounting a $3.5k apo in the Geoptik to be held by one screw on one side.   I don't know why.  I've been doing it with my Vixen 102 for 14 years and aside from marking up the dovetail it has worked fine.  (The Vixen 102 ED doublet with Moonlite is about the same weight as the CFF 92 triplet with FT).

I took a chance and ordered the Svbony Vixen clamp.  It appears to be well thought at.  The sizable adjusting knobs have a nice smooth feel.  The moving clamp part is brass.  It appears to be a well thought out piece and adaptable to many situations.  

I am not 100% sure that it meets my needs--I had hoped for *more total contact area* between the screw doing the pressing on one side and the surface against the dovetail on the other.  Adding up that total surface on the OEM plus the screw on the other side, there is actually 2mm less of contact on the Svbony piece than there is on the OEM Geoptik.  On the other hand, the spacing is better on the SVbony piece, you can see how much longer it is in comparison,  in addition to having two separate clamps.  So it feels more solid or at least is pyschologically more solid.

It also looks nice.  Putting on my skeptic's hat, I wonder whether this piece of aluminum (SVbony says aircraft aluminum) will crack and lead to a catastrophic failure.  But inspecting it in person I can't imagine that happening.  It looks and feels solid, it's main defect is it is heavier than my OEM Vixen clamp on the Geoptik.   The SVbony was $35 shipped.  And if it seems too good to be true...it often is.  But that's the situation.  Seems like a nice piece of work and an intelligent design that accommodates many different screw hole patterns.   It was purchased from ebay and came up during a search for a Vixen dovetail clamp.  Many of my usual sources (such as ADM) did not have the right hole pattern. 

Here's a pic of it mounted on the Geoptik with the OEM piece held in my hand.   SVbony has some others that are single clamp for around $23.    Greg N

20190423_230752_resized.jpg

Edited by gnowellsct, 24 April 2019 - 03:36 PM.

• vkhastro1, Crow Haven, BinoGuy and 1 other like this

#2 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:52 PM

You are not imagining it. They are very good. I got 2 for $62 last year from Ebay shipped from China

• gnowellsct and Thomas Marshall like this

#3 markb

markb

Vostok 1

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:53 PM

I use this two screw dovetail clamp as well.

Reasonably well made and anodized, and the large two clamp version has a flat side opposite the dovetail slanted clamps, allowing the dovetail to 'tilt' in.

Be aware there is also a smaller single screw version. The attachment screw holes vary on the two, so others should check their hole centers.

The smaller one is slanted on both sides, requiring the dovetail bar to be slid along its length. I personally find the required scope balancing and juggling to be disconcerting. It is less expensive of course.

The two clamp version is very secure, even with a 6" f9 refractor. Clamping is much more reliable than others I have used.

I used one on these on my alt/az Sergio Bonilla mount as well as my no-machining conversion of my spare Nexstar GPS11 to carry 5 different scopes.
  • gnowellsct likes this

#4 FlankerOneTwo

FlankerOneTwo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vegas, baby!

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:08 PM

My experience has been the same, surprisingly good kit at inexpensive prices. I got the red anodized, looks quite nice as well.

#5 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:09 PM

You are not imagining it. They are very good. I got 2 for $62 last year from Ebay shipped from China

Yeah I got 2 for $65 shipped from ebay China.  I saved $5 by putting in a counter offer.  It's a little scary how inexpensive they are.   

The cheap shipping thing is not going to last forever.  China is still classified as a developing country for the U.S. mail and international postal convention.  When developing country products reach our shores they benefit from subsidized--essentially free--shipping within the United States.  An American producer would have to bill $8 or so.  Plus their shipping from China to the U.S. is subsidized by China.   This affects not only astro stuff but why you can get obscure computer parts for $5.00 shipped.

So anyhow their "real" price is probably $50 or $60 a unit but for those that jump in now they're a good deal (the mail subsidy has not been major news but it has been front page WSJ and is one of the issues in trade negotiations). 

Greg N 

Edited by gnowellsct, 24 April 2019 - 04:11 PM.

#6 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:26 PM

I guess I know what I will be doing this weekend... Ebay shopping for the various bits and doodads that I need.  

#7 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:35 PM

Has anyone used/tried Svbony filters?

• Miranda2525 likes this

#8 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Messenger

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:42 PM

I got the single red anodized clamp to adapt an "L" bracket for using my AT102ED refractor on my 8SE goto mount, and it looks Good, And Works good. The rail is red anodized Svbony also. The "L" bracket between them is "Ace Hardware Galvanized".  It Works Good.

#9 Svalbard

Svalbard

Mariner 2

• Loc: USA

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:39 PM

Wow, thanks for the heads up on these... they look like a great deal.

#10 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:35 PM

All this attention to these Vixen clamps is going to cause the price to go up once people get wind on how good they are for the price and start ordering in droves grin.gif

#11 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:46 PM

Looks like a great deal! Does anyone who has one know if they will fit the ES Twilight II mount? One of my clamps is messed up.

• Crow Haven likes this

#12 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:12 PM

Looks like a great deal! Does anyone who has one know if they will fit the ES Twilight II mount? One of my clamps is messed up.

There was a schematic on my eBay site so you can measure your holes against theirs. You need to use metric.

#13 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:21 PM

There was a schematic on my eBay site so you can measure your holes against theirs. You need to use metric.

Thanks, I'll take a look. Hopefully, they will work.

#14 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:11 PM

I ordered a Vixen Finder "Foot" from then as no other vendor offered such a thing.

Seems like a cheap option as long as you don't need something right away (shipping time).

#15 vdog

vdog

Viking 1

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:06 AM

I used to have the Svbony UHC.  For about $20, it didn't have to be that good, and it was pretty decent in my 4.5" reflector, enabling me to enhance nebulae like M42 and M17 and see planetary nebulae that were all but invisible without it in my light-polluted skies.

After I got a bigger scope, I upgraded to a DGM NPB and gave it away.

• fishonkevin and Miranda2525 like this

#16 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 27 April 2019 - 03:08 PM

I took a chance on a pair SVBony EPs (after a recommendation on CN) and was pleasantly surprised.  Have them in my BVs right now.  Looking for a Vixen plate now, thanks!

• Miranda2525 likes this

#17 Freezout

Freezout

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Europe, Bortle 4 zone, altitude 11 meters

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:13 PM

I have the same, Teleskop Service brand, that I purchased for my Skytee mount. Very happy of it, I cannot imagine that breaking or letting my telescope escape.

#18 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: S.Oregon Coast USA

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:28 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look. Hopefully, they will work.

I have this one on my Twilight II and the holes line up fine (screws from original stock clamp are a bit long but you can adjust for that with washers) and they have similar smaller dovetail clamps.  https://www.amazon.c...ay&sr=8-1-fkmr0

#19 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:08 PM

I have this one on my Twilight II and the holes line up fine (screws from original stock clamp are a bit long but you can adjust for that with washers) and they have similar smaller dovetail clamps.  https://www.amazon.c...ay&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Thanks, that's good to know and now I also know that you have the one with the M6 and M8 holes. Perfect. I had found the Vixen only clamp on Alibaba for $46 and confirmed spacing of the holes, but I didn't know which screw size to order, US or metric. I had assumed metric because the Twilight is made in China, but it's good to confirm from someone who knows.

• Crow Haven likes this

#20 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:07 AM

The holes on mine worked but I added washers because the holes were a bit oversized and I wanted more even pressure. I also increased the length of the two screws. The Geoptik is such a rare item I don't think its details are relevant here.

#21 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:03 AM

The clamp I wanted came up on AliExpress this morning for $37. Couldn't resist.

• Thomas Marshall likes this

#22 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Vanguard

• Loc: Nashville, IN

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:15 PM

That’s how ai hold my guidescopes on! Solid piece of work.

#23 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:01 PM

I've bought a few of their products.  I have yet to be disappointed.  They're cheap and they work.  When I need a little doo-dad, I now look to see if they make one.

• Miranda2525 likes this

#24 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

I bought an Svbony moon & skyglow filter. Still need to test it out. I also bought two 20mm Svbony 68° eyepieces, (they are actually 66°), for my William Optics binoviewer, and i am really impressed with them both!

#25 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:11 PM

I used to have the Svbony UHC.  For about $20, it didn't have to be that good, and it was pretty decent in my 4.5" reflector, enabling me to enhance nebulae like M42 and M17 and see planetary nebulae that were all but invisible without it in my light-polluted skies.

After I got a bigger scope, I upgraded to a DGM NPB and gave it away.

What was the Svbony UHC filter like?  I am interested in it. Compared to the DGM NPB, what would you say?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics