•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

I need some classic telescope pictures

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
189 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2003 - 05:45 AM

Hi all,

I would like to post some classic telescope pictures to the Classic telescope page. If you have any, shoot them on over and I'll get a couple posted.

Thanks
Allister

#2 Gary BEAL

Gary BEAL

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:39 PM

Hi Allister,
I ned some guidance as to what is "Classic".
If it the older Zeiss refractor, and/or Cassegrain I can assist.
Regards,
Gary BEAL,
New Zealand

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2003 - 06:13 AM

Hey Gary,

I really like the photo of the "Zeiss Family" you posted in the photo section. Wow! Now that's what I call a collection!

Sure, send over a photo. Basically the Classic telescopes are those not being sold anymore.

Allister

#4 Gary BEAL

Gary BEAL

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 May 2003 - 05:35 PM

Hi Allister,
if "not being sold anymore" makes them Classics, then we are out of luck, as Zeiss is bought and sold ad nauseum. I do think I understand what you mean. In an effort to reduce the clutter perhaps shoot me an e mail at g.beal@clear.net.nz
Regards,
Gary

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2003 - 06:34 AM

Gary,

Classics = telescopes you can no longer buy new.

For example, Zeiss refractors would qualify as the last time they sold them new was in 1996.

Allister

#6 Gary BEAL

Gary BEAL

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 May 2003 - 08:20 PM

Allister,
can I send them to your e mail address that appears on your "trade name in red".
Gary

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2003 - 07:02 AM

Gary,

Sure - my email address is webmaster@cloudynights.com

Look forward to getting them posted. Thanks for taking the time to send them on over.

Allister

#8 Ken

Ken

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 May 2003 - 09:53 PM

Allister,

If we ever dry out, and I can get the scope back outside i'll get a better picture of my 1978 Edmund 6" f6 Newtonian on the Equatorial fork mount posted. For now i have one from this past winter after fixing the clock drive in the garage. It's been a great scope and I still use it frequuently although uinfortunately the fiber tube is beginning to deteriorate and show it's age.

I am working on a classic review also. It amazes me how fondly Edmund is remembered by my generation and beyond. The younger folks don't realize Edmund ever sold anything but the Astroscan.

Ken

Attached Thumbnails

• 1933-1933-Edmund 6 f6 (Custom).jpg

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2003 - 06:09 AM

Ken,

Not sure which caught my attention more, the fork mounted Edmund or your bike :)

I'm eager to hear some comments from you about the Edmund. I have seen these only 1 time before - at Astrfest 2 years ago. I was unable to track down the owner and left wondering how they actually perform.

Come on - inquiring minds want to know.

Allister

#10 Ken

Ken

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 May 2003 - 10:28 AM

Thanks, Review the short form. The optics are very good, I'm reluctant to call them excellent because frankly I've never looked through a Zambuto or other Newt that has that reputation for excellent optics. In the day Edmund advertised the optics as 1/8th wave, but so did everybody else back then. The end ring assemblys, cell and spider are incredibly overengineered. They work great, and to sell the same thing today would be cost prohibitive. The tube material is "Phenolic Impregnated Fiber" and rather fragile and brittle.

The Equatorial Yoke Mount, well this is a story in itself. When set up for visual work, it is a beautiful steady mount, but setting up is a pain, setting the latitude is difficult, with the latitude graduations being 10 degree notches in the housing. there are no slow motion contols other than a short travel declination knob, and there is a simple 120vac Clock Drive motor so it is not a mount for anything but short exposure photography.

Despite all this though, for visual observing the mount once set up is a joy to use, in the same fashion one would use a Dob on an Equatorial platform. Plus it just looks really neat. The telescope with its Yoke mount and bright red tube is a attention grabber at star partys and outings. Something about the high tech look just grabs attention. Anyway, the telescope has served me well for many years, and traveled over the eastern seaboard. I built a heavy wooden crate for the OTA when it was new and I suppose the fact that the scope still gets used speaks for itself.

As I said , when I get some time and nice days, I'll get some close-up pictures and post a more thorough review.

And OT, the bike is an '01 Buell Cyclone, unfortunately no longer made, that I use to scare myself occasionally whe I need an adrenalin rush. :shocked:

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2003 - 06:48 AM

Here is my blast from the past.My Vernonscope Brandon 94mm triplet lens semi APO, on a Meade LXD55 EQ, a good match for grab N go visuals.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4625-4625-Brandonscope 2.JPG

#12 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 06 August 2003 - 08:57 PM

It may not be a classic (since it's technically still in production), but I have C5 #724

Attached Thumbnails

• 5776-C5_Close.jpg

#13 Ken

Ken

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:40 PM

It looks like a classic to me. I remember those orange tube scopes well, although it seems lately I have not been seeing as many out anymore. Did that originally use the 1.25" or .965 eyepieces?
In any event I just ordered a C5-SGT today to try out Goto. Must be kismet.

Ken
39 20'N 78 01'W

1977 Edmund Scientific Co 6" f6 Newt
1994 Meade 2045D SCT
2002 Edmund Astroscan 4.25" RFT
2002 Questar 3.5 Std. Pyrex/BB

“If the pure and elevated pleasure to be derived from the possession and use of a good telescope…were generally known, I am certain that no instrument of science would be more commonly found in the homes of intelligent people. There is only one way in which you can be sure of getting a good telescope. First, decide how large a glass you are to have, then go to a maker of established reputation, fix upon the price you are willing to pay-remembering that good work is never cheap-and finally see that the instrument furnished to you answers the proper tests for telescopes of its size. There are telescopes and there are telescopes….”

Garrett Serviss 1901 Pleasures of the Telescope

#14 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 08 August 2003 - 07:20 PM

It came with both, although the .965 eyepieces I have (not Celestron) are absolute garbage. Don't even remember where I got 'em, but I hang on to 2 of them to remind me of The World BN (Before Nagler)

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2003 - 09:56 PM

I have owned a J.W. Fecker Celestar-4 since 1970. It is a fork mounted 4-inch f/9 Newtonian. My scope was made in 1959 and advertised in S&T between December 1955 and about 1960. J.W. Fecker was the nephew of "Uncle" John Brashear of Pittsburgh, PA, builder of some of the largest telescopes in the world, including the 36-inch refractor at Lick Observatory. His biggest competitor was Alvan Clark & Sons.

This totally original, almost mint condition little Fecker is a direct descendant of one of the world's greatest telescope makers of the 19th and early 20th centuries.

When my digital camera gets out of the shop, I 'll take a picture of the Fecker.

Lew Chilton
Northridge, California

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2003 - 09:25 PM

I consider the orange-tube C5's to be classics. These scopes went OUT of production in the early 80's. They were brought back over 10 years later, but with a different tube and mounting.

#17 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 30 October 2003 - 01:49 PM

Well, as it's NLA, then my (now departed) Meade 826 was a classic. And it was classic because the optics were great. And it was-good looking. And too bad I had to sell it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 17170-matt.jpg

#18 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 30 October 2003 - 07:21 PM

Even the orange tube celestron 8s are classics. Also the ole coulter dobs are classics, well at least to me.

LivingNDixie

#19 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 October 2003 - 09:51 PM

I agree with all ther above. The old Coulter Dobs were built in similar fashion to John Dobson's construction method, those are the "true" Dobsonian's. All other Dob's are actually regular tube assemblies on Dob mounts. The Coulters were so much like John's original design, they even cut their mirrors out of plate glass.

#20 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 24 January 2004 - 11:40 AM

OK, here you go. I hope I can attach my pix. I've got an 8" Vega Mak-Newt, built around the early 1960's by Robert Jones in Palo Alto, CA. His company made about 39 scopes total, most of them 6". I have one of only 2 8" scopes that he made.

Attached Thumbnails

• 44796-44796-Vega2.jpg

#21 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 24 January 2004 - 11:44 AM

OK, here you go. I hope I can attach my pix. I've got an 8" Vega Mak-Newt, built around the early 1960's by Robert Jones in Palo Alto, CA. His company made about 39 scopes total, most of them 6". I have one of only 2 8" scopes that he made.

All I can say is WOW, what a beauty. :bow:

#22 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 24 January 2004 - 11:46 AM

All I can say is WOW, what a beauty. :bow:

Thanks. Cost = $200 in 1969 (used)...can you believe it? Original cost was something around $3K in the early '60s.

#23 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 24 January 2004 - 11:47 AM

Here's your chance to make a huge profit. I'll offer you $400 for it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 44804-uber_wink.gif

#24 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 24 January 2004 - 11:49 AM

Here's your chance to make a huge profit. I'll offer you $400 for it. :whistle:

Uh, let me think about it... NO

#25 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2004 - 02:50 PM

This is kind of an interesting old scope. It's a late 60s Gilbert 2" newtonian, must be an f/10 or 12. I pick it up at a chruch rummage sale for $2. The mirror is in good shape, but the focuser which had a single-stalk secondary holder was pretty well trashed, as was the secondary itself.

I haven't really been able to figure out what to do with it yet, but I thought such a tiny newt was cute. It'd be a nice little planetary or moon scope if the secondary/focuser could be worked out.

Attached Thumbnails

• 44884-gilbert_scope.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics