•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

I need some classic telescope pictures

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
189 replies to this topic

#26 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 26 January 2004 - 06:02 PM

Hi all,

I would like to post some classic telescope pictures to the Classic telescope page. If you have any, shoot them on over and I'll get a couple posted.

Thanks
Allister

I'm waiting.... :bawling:

#27 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 04 March 2004 - 12:04 AM

Here is a photo of my Brandon 130 apo, circa about 1991. Only 100 of these were made. Note the Unitron guide scope on top, repainted to match the Brandon (no more Unitrons either). Brandon and Unitron shared the same parts - focusers, objective cells, guide scope rings, etc. Note too that there are no holes drilled into the blue enameled tube; everything on the tube is via rings. The tube assembly fully outfitted weighs in at 33 lbs. The scope has an f-ratio of f/8.3.

Regards,

Barry Simon

Attached Thumbnails

• 65334-65334-Brandon 130 at LPMOS 1-02.jpg

#28 Jim Svetlikov

Jim Svetlikov

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 04 March 2004 - 11:36 AM

Does this count? 1966 Tasco 9TE-5 60mm 700mm.

(Oversize image removed by moderator)

#29 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 04 March 2004 - 02:14 PM

Barry,

That's a very sweet looking set up. Lot of rings, tho.

Jim,

That's for sure a classic...one many of us would like to forget.

#30 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 04 March 2004 - 04:13 PM

Nice, Barry, but you neglected to mention that the Brandon APO lenses were made by Astrophysics. A very salient point when discussing the Brandon 130 and 94 APO's.

#31 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:51 PM

Carton 4" f/13 refractor atop 8" f/6 reflector.

Attached Thumbnails

• 114378-carton1.jpg

#32 jwaldo

jwaldo

Smart Mime

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:59 PM

Lol I'd post some pics of my old Meade #155W 50mm junk-o-scope, but it's being completely rebuilt and the only original part is the objective.

#33 Ken

Ken

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 June 2004 - 01:51 PM

And in use.

Attached Thumbnails

• 119936-119936-Edmund 6f6 and Meade 2045d.jpg

#34 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 05 June 2004 - 04:44 PM

Nice image, Ken. I really like those old Edmund forks. In the early 80's when I was looking for a scope, I used to drool on the picture of the 8" in the Edmund Catalog. Our club has one now and we've fully restored it. Works great.

#35 Ken

Ken

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 June 2004 - 10:26 AM

Thanks, I'd love to have seen Edmund still around to be able to recreate these telescopes, perhaps with a GoTo. I'd be first in line. But I guess it's not to be. Too well made to compete with the chinese newts on the inexpensive GEQ mounts at any price point where there would be volume sales.

#36 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

Posted 09 June 2004 - 03:02 AM

I saw an 8" Edmund exactly like Ken's pictured here on "that" auction site 2-3 months ago. It went for just over $350 and it was mint. Begged my wife to let me buy it (figuring I'd pay at least double what it went for) I'm still miffed with her :>) I should have snuck it in!!

#37 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 09 June 2004 - 12:15 PM

There is still an "Edmund" optical company around...any relationship to the Edmund Scientific of old?

#38 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 09 June 2004 - 01:57 PM

Yeah, it's the same company. Their scopes were very pricey and didn't sell very well. They probably still offer mirrors and lenses as well as some of their RKE eyepieces. This is the same company that sold or still sells the Astroscan.

#39 Ken

Ken

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:13 PM

Actually Don, thats not entirely correct. In fact the consumer company is related only by name and marketing to the Barrington NJ Edmund Scientific Company that many of us remember.

The Original Edmund Scientific Company went out of business almost 10
years ago. Edmund Optics science hobbyists catalog was sold to Science Kit
& Boreal Laboratories, a division of laboratory supplies cataloger VWR
Scientific Products. Edmund Optics retained its business-to-business
catalog Edmund Industrial Optics.

The consumer catalog business known as 'Scientifics online' that remains
today is nothing like what it was. For many of us, we believed going to the
Barrington NJ retail store was like visiting Mecca. Unfortunately from what
I have been told it too was closed in the late eighties or early nineties.
The place was amazing, with a variety of telescopes, surplus optics, a
periscope, and laser light show. I would drive from Philadelphia PA to the
Barrington store every couple of months during the seventies and early
eighties. Those are some of my favorite memories from that period. I
bought my 6"Newt from the showroom back in 1977.

#40 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:31 PM

Ahh..thanks for the correction, Ken. I always looked forward to the new catalog.

#41 Ken

Ken

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 June 2004 - 03:08 PM

DonW,

Aye as did I. In fact thanks to this board, several members scanned and emailed several pages from original Edmund Scientific Catalogs from the seventies to help with my still ongoing Edmund Newt restoration and review. The really neat catalogs were the plain paper, paberback book sized ones. I spent many hours pouring through those catalogs. Later in the seventies Edmund went to the Glossy Trade sized catalogs that had more retail goods in them than the surplus equipment they had previously catalogued.

Ken

#42 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:45 PM

Here is a 1958 Lafayette Astronomical Telescope (partially restored). 60mm f/13.3 Nice performer, very smooth alt/az dual slow motion mount. Biggest problem is the metal parts appear to be all plated brass. Any ideas on how to strip and re-plate?

(Behind the Lafayette is a 1965 50mm Monolux, fully restored)

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• 123412-Steve M.JPG

#43 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:26 PM

Nice to see some of these older refractors in good condition. Many of these had very good optics and mounts. Unfortunately, these are the designs that the cheap clones copied over the years which gave this size scope a bad name.

#44 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2004 - 10:01 PM

How bout this. A 1967 Celestron Pacific C 10 in almost perfect condition.

Vern

Attached Thumbnails

• 132106-VernJPG.JPG

#45 rodrake

rodrake

Ranger 4

Posted 22 June 2004 - 10:13 PM

That's incredible! What size is the larger piggy-backed scope?

#46 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 23 June 2004 - 12:10 PM

Beautifully maintained scope Vern, and welcome to Cloudynights! Are you the original owner? You look a little young for that (worst case scenario, that will be a compliment!).
And what are those eyepieces on the turret?

#47 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2004 - 06:27 PM

The piggy backed scope is a Celestron Pacific C 4.It is a 4" F/15 SCT. It makes a great guide scope and has remarkably high contrast. I plan to modify it to be used as it is now as well as a grab and go scope.

Vern

#48 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2004 - 06:40 PM

In response to

Poster: matt
Subject: Re: I need some classic telescope pictures

Beautifully maintained scope Vern, and welcome to Cloudynights! Are you the original owner? You look a little young for that (worst case scenario, that will be a compliment!).
And what are those eyepieces on the turret?

The credit for the scopes condition goes to the original owner. I am the second owner. I was able to obtain the original Sherwin Williams paint code for Celestron blue from Tom Dobbins. The pier now looks as new as the day it left sunny Irvine :) I will paint the forks and rear mirror cell someday when I build up the nerve. I am still recovering the "remove and reinstall" of the corrector plate !! That was about a year ago. I still remember my wife laughing because I went through three t shirts as I was sweating bullets the entire time. The eyepieces are Clave plossls and the turret is a Unihex.

Sorry if pasting the body of the message I am replying to into my reply is not cool here. I am still trying to get used to the forumns format.

Vern

#49 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:46 PM

Welcome, Vern. I've spent some time drooling over the images of your scope on the Yahoo forums. What a beautiful classic.

Your format is not unsuitable either.

The Moderator

#50 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:47 PM

Here is a 1958 Lafayette Astronomical Telescope (partially restored). 60mm f/13.3 Nice performer, very smooth alt/az dual slow motion mount. Biggest problem is the metal parts appear to be all plated brass. Any ideas on how to strip and re-plate?

(Behind the Lafayette is a 1965 50mm Monolux, fully restored)

Steve

I used to custom paint brass model railroad locomotives. The primer and paint I used was formulated with very fine pigmentation so's not to mask fine detail. Painting a scope this size with an airbrush would be a real project, but I can tell you what worked for me, and the basics might for you.

For paint removal, a product called "ELO" (for Easy Lift Off), available from most hobby shops. This is a brush-on paint remover, and safe for plastics as well as metal.

To get rid of tarnish, a bath in mild acid (white vinegar or diluted Lime A-Way). I use a 4" PVC pipe with a cap on the bottom to make a tube for soaking larger units.

Wash in distilled water with 8-10 drops of Dawn dish detergent per quart.

Rinse thoroughly with tap water followed by a final rinse with distilled water. From this point on, it's important not to get body oils on the item, so handle with rubber or cotton gloves. Let air dry.

Prime with etching primer. This gives the paint some "tooth". The first finish coat should go on quite soon after the primer (see the instructions - usually no more than a couple of hours).

At this point, the model railroading techniques get discarded (especially since the paint costs $3-5 an ounce, and sometimes 4-8 coats are required - it's that thin!)

I recommend a quality aerosol epoxy paint (usually in the "appliance paint" section). Three thin coats, about 1/2 hr to 45 minutes apart. If a color match isn't available in epoxy, then lacquer.

When cured (1 day for lacquer, 2 for epoxy), overcoat with a clear finish of your choice (flat, semigloss, satn, or high gloss) to seal and protect the finish. Epoxy generally doesn't need the overcoat for protection, but you may need it for the final lustre you want.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics