•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need a new mount

mount
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Luckypaul777

Luckypaul777

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:19 PM

Looking to purchase a new mount for a 180 mak OTA. Have a GC4 that I don't think will work, trying to decide between a Celestron AVX and a Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 Multi-Purpose GoTo Mount. Had the AVX with another scope but kind of like the idea of using the Skywatcher in the AZ mode, but not sure of its quality? Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Paul 

#2 petert913

petert913

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:11 PM

Skywatchers are very good.  And a lot quieter than an AVX when slewing :)

#3 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Viking 1

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:09 PM

I have only had the AVX, saving for a Skywatcher (can't wait!) I used to feel bad about the slewing noise, but when looking at all their blinding lights on all night, I decided we were even. 

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:26 PM

The AZ-EQ5 is a significant step up from the AVX, in every regard.  It is heavier, also.

The good news about mounts is that you generally get what you pay for.   The bad news about mounts is that you generally get what you pay for.  <smile>

Edited by bobzeq25, 24 April 2019 - 08:28 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics