•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Olympus Air cheap alternative to ASI1600

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Grimstod

Grimstod

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:15 PM

I think I just found a cheap alternative to the ZWO ASI1600

https://www.ebay.com...5.c100008.m2219

It has very similar specs but is color. If only they offered a cooled version lol. 

#2 rk2k2

rk2k2

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Cool, CA

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for this. I'm going to look for the body only ,,, just to have ONE MORE thing I don't need laying around ... 'just to play around with'.  As for cooling, I suspect at the price one could come up with some sort of cooling system and not worry about ruining it  Of course, have to check what the sensor specs are- don't want it if it's the same as my PL7.

Nah, looks to have the same stuff as the PL7. (Same processor, lists the same generic text as sensor- 4/3" Live MOS, whatever that is suppose to mean).  Seems like a cool toy to play around with though!

Edited by rk2k2, 24 April 2019 - 08:50 PM.

#3 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:45 PM

Looked at it on the Olympus website and downloaded the manual.

Exposure range is 1/16000 second to 4 seconds.

#4 Tapio

Tapio

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:00 PM

Look at the most relevant review ;)
  • B 26354 likes this

#5 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:13 PM

Look at the most relevant review wink.gif

I did. wink.gif

Actually, the title of the thread just caught my attention, since I use an Oly E-M1... and not knowing what an "Air" was, I had to satisfy my curiosity. Pretty much worthless, apparently... although I suppose there's some appeal for the "App"-obsessed smart-phone crowd.  lol.gif

#6 Berny

Berny

Mariner 2

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:36 PM

This camera contains its own power supply and WIFI.  It could be mounted on a Celestron Fastar scope without any cables going to it, thereby not producing any diffraction spikes.

I have no idea what the battery life is.

Edited by Berny, 24 April 2019 - 11:37 PM.

• Grimstod likes this

#7 Grimstod

Grimstod

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:05 AM

This camera contains its own power supply and WIFI.  It could be mounted on a Celestron Fastar scope without any cables going to it, thereby not producing any diffraction spikes.

I have no idea what the battery life is.

It also has a car slot. That would help if you were shooting planets. No worries about it getting bored down over a bad wifi.

#8 Grimstod

Grimstod

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:28 AM

Thanks for this. I'm going to look for the body only ,,, just to have ONE MORE thing I don't need laying around ... 'just to play around with'.  As for cooling, I suspect at the price one could come up with some sort of cooling system and not worry about ruining it  Of course, have to check what the sensor specs are- don't want it if it's the same as my PL7.

Nah, looks to have the same stuff as the PL7. (Same processor, lists the same generic text as sensor- 4/3" Live MOS, whatever that is suppose to mean).  Seems like a cool toy to play around with though!

Its a CMOS. Olympus was calling them Livemos but they are really just a CMOS

#9 Grimstod

Grimstod

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:29 AM

I did. wink.gif

Actually, the title of the thread just caught my attention, since I use an Oly E-M1... and not knowing what an "Air" was, I had to satisfy my curiosity. Pretty much worthless, apparently... although I suppose there's some appeal for the "App"-obsessed smart-phone crowd.  lol.gif

I to use an EM1 and with good success. Currently I am trying to find out if it can be controlled over USB. That would be essential. It would free up my EM1

#10 Sp0nG3Bo8

Sp0nG3Bo8

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:17 AM

if you want to control an oly camera lookup their app... i can remote control my EM5-ii with it ... although i still prefer the clicker for now tongue2.gif its an old tech tough i would go for something more recent / old full-frame ( since you only need the body for the AP part)

Edited by Sp0nG3Bo8, 26 April 2019 - 02:21 AM.

#11 Grimstod

Grimstod

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:35 PM

if you want to control an oly camera lookup their app... i can remote control my EM5-ii with it ... although i still prefer the clicker for now tongue2.gif its an old tech tough i would go for something more recent / old full-frame ( since you only need the body for the AP part)

I put a request into Olympus to see if their camera controlling software for desktop computers will work. We shall see what they say. 

#12 Grimstod

Grimstod

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:25 PM

I have to report this is somewhat of a dead end. Olympus tells me that it will only work through a phone app. Although you can capture RAW data with it you are limited to 4sec exposures. 

#13 Alen K

Alen K

Viking 1

• *----

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:01 AM

Requiring a phone app is not necessarily a killer for everyone (no real automated tethering but you can still take pictures) but max 4 second exposure surely is.
  • Grimstod likes this

#14 djdoud

djdoud

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:49 AM

I've played with a ZCam E1 as a cheap alternative to an ASI1600.  8 sec max exposure. Sells for around $200 US on ebay. There is an (incomplete) API available for it , so I wrote a couple scripts to control it on Windows laptop over WIFI. One script to push the settings to it and one script to take images and move them from SD card to a folder monitored by SharpCap for live stacking. The scripts and API info are here:

https://github.com/d...co/astroscripts

Camera can be controlled over USB cable as well, but WIFI is nice as no cables makes a clean looking installation. There are Zcam phone apps to control it over WIFI also. The reliable WIFI range is only around 10 ft though. It runs for about 2 hours on battery. It was a fun project, but I was able to score an ASI1600 not long after I got the ZCam E1 working, and have been using that ever since. I'll probably get a wide angle lens for the ZCam and use it for a DIY all sky camera now that I have the 1600.

Edited by djdoud, 30 April 2019 - 04:46 PM.

• Grimstod likes this

#15 Grimstod

Grimstod

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:01 AM

I've played with a ZCam E1 as a cheap alternative to an ASI1600.  8 sec max exposure. Sells for around $200 US on ebay. There is an (incomplete) API available for it , so I wrote a couple scripts to control it on Windows laptop over WIFI. One script to push the settings to it and one script to take images and move them from SD card to a folder monitored by SharpCap for live stacking. The scripts and API info are here:

https://github.com/d...co/astroscripts

Camera can be controlled over USB cable as well, but WIFI is nice as no cables makes a clean looking installation. There are Zcam phone apps to control it over WIFI also. The reliable WIFI range is only around 10 ft though. It runs for about 2 hours on battery. It was a fun project, but I was able to score an ASI1600 not long after I got the ZCam E1 working, and have been using that ever since. I'll probably get a wide angle lens and use it for a DIY all sky camera now that I have the 1600.

Thats really cool. I wonder how difficult it would be to perhaps write something like that for the A01. Even if the exposure time could be increased that alone would make it a viable options.

I also noticed that there is a Sony version out there similar to this. I have no lenses though to fit that.

#16 djdoud

djdoud

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:39 AM

Thanks! It was a fun project.

After a bit of searching I found the SDK download page for the Olympus Air

https://dl-support.o...ing.com/opc/en/

Unfortunately, it is not possible to extend the exposure past the 4 sec max.using the info in the SDK. That is more the realm of firmware hacking.

oly_sdk_exp.JPG

The SDK is for making your own app to control the camera over WIFI.

Edited by djdoud, 30 April 2019 - 04:39 PM.

• Grimstod likes this

#17 Grimstod

Grimstod

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:44 PM

Thanks! It was a fun project.

After a bit of searching I found the SDK download page for the Olympus Air

https://dl-support.o...ing.com/opc/en/

attachicon.gif OLY_SDK.JPG

Unfortunately, it is not possible to extend the exposure past the 4 sec max.using the info in the SDK. That is more the realm of firmware hacking.

attachicon.gif oly_sdk_exp.JPG

The SDK is for making your own app to control the camera over WIFI.

Thanks. I am going to download this. Perhaps I will give this a go at some hacking. 

#18 Grimstod

Grimstod

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:51 PM

Well check this out! 

https://www.youtube....h?v=bTCpOsW1Wi0

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics